Cadiz to Seville by train - buy ticket in advance or not?

caseum

Hello fellow travelers or destination experts,

I am planning to travel from the port of Cadiz to Seville by train on a week day in Oct.

For any one of you who took this route by train recently, is it necessary to purchase the tickets in advance? We will either take the 9:40a or 10:50a train. Do the short distance trains ever sold out? My experience in other countries is no, and I never have problem in buying the same day ticket on the spot.

Our ship docks at 9a. From Google map, if nothing goes wrong, I think we should be able to make the 9:40a train. If I purchase tickets in advance, then I will play it safe by buying the 10:50a tickets instead; and when we arrive,if we can make the 9:40a time, then I will change the tickets to 9:40a at the train station.

In any case, I would like to first check with you all to see what your experience is. Perhaps I do not have to purchase the ticket in advance.

If your purchase your tickets at the counter or at the ticket machine. Is there any experience or lesson learned you can share? At ticket machines, I would assume there is a language menu, and it accepts foreign credit cards? Is there any ID required?

Also, if you purchased the tickets online, did you use your passport number as ID, or did you use your driver license or other form of government ID instead of your passport? If you use other ID instead of passport, did you encounter any problem?

Thank you :)

C

PS: Near the port, there seems to be a few sights. Which one do you like better and worth of your time?

Hello fellow travelers or destination experts,

I am planning to travel from the port of Cadiz to Seville by train on a week day in Oct.

For any one of you who took this route by train recently, is it necessary to purchase the tickets in advance? We will either take the 9:40a or 10:50a train. Do the short distance trains ever sold out? My experience in other countries is no, and I never have problem in buying the same day ticket on the spot.

Our ship docks at 9a. From Google map, if nothing goes wrong, I think we should be able to make the 9:40a train. If I purchase tickets in advance, then I will play it safe by buying the 10:50a tickets instead; and when we arrive,if we can make the 9:40a time, then I will change the tickets to 9:40a at the train station.

In any case, I would like to first check with you all to see what your experience is. Perhaps I do not have to purchase the ticket in advance.

If your purchase your tickets at the counter or at the ticket machine. Is there any experience or lesson learned you can share? At ticket machines, I would assume there is a language menu, and it accepts foreign credit cards? Is there any ID required?

Also, if you purchased the tickets online, did you use your passport number as ID, or did you use your driver license or other form of government ID instead of your passport? If you use other ID instead of passport, did you encounter any problem?

Thank you :)

C

PS: Near the port, there seems to be a few sights. Which one do you like better and worth of your time?

Cadiz is a beautiful, vibrant city so try to ensure you leave some time on your way back from Seville to the ship to walk round the old city centre (Cathedral and market areas, plus fascinating back streets are all close together and very pedestrian friendly - plus only 5 minutes walk from where the ships generally dock).

campolady

Thank you for your reply with excellment information! It is always good to have someone who has the first hand knowledge to provide with some insight. One thing about taking a cruise is that there is so little time in each port. Knowing that the beautiful sights are closed together and that they are only 5 mins walk from the ship is very useful information.

Warmest regards

C

I think I replied already regarding bus logistics. As far as train goes it doesn't matter whether ticket is purchased online, from vending machine or cashier. There is no discount for regional train. Present price is 25.85€ for RT. Online saves time. No one asks for doc # ( but it's needed to buy online) my understanding it's a requirement to dispute duplicate seats which is not applicable to regional train.

The bigger issue is planning time in SEVILLA. Alcazar visit takes at least 1.5 hrs plus getting there and waiting. Online ticket is better (for extra 1€) but they are timed. Getting there from Santa Justa is faster by taxi, can be walked from San BERNARDO in 15-20 min. Also big electric tram T1 (1.40€) goes there from San BERNARDO.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

hkto,

Thank you very much for your detail information in only a few sentences! I learned quite a lot from you! Thank you! Very good information to know that for regional train, there is no discount regardless where/when I buy it. I will think more about it whether to buy it in advance, or when we are at the Cadiz train station. I wish the online tickets are not timed, so we can take any train on a given day.

You are exactly right: planning the time in Seville. If we end up taking a train that arrives at the Santa Justa train station, I will take your advice to take the taxi as it is faster. And I will keep it in mind that the T1 tram goes to San Bernardo train station.

Best regards!

C

PS:

I have looked at the bus schedules, and found that the train schedules work better. Otherwise I would have asked or research more on bus. Perhaps when I get a chance, I will look at your bus logistic. I can learn something else. Thank you.

Some trains from Cadiz go directlty to San BERNARDO. When looking at Renfe site choose San BERNARDO as destination. 9:40am train does. T1 tram is from San BERNARDO to Alcazar, get off when your see SEVILLA cathedral and lots of horse carriages on your right. Otherwise 20 min walk. Alcazar entrance one block from there.97f1d81a274e7753b3cda1cb10698f9f.jpgb4d61ff0b69dbaa7b8c03425b4abab33.jpg

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk