New to p&o

Trixie21

We are thinking about booking Iona - we have cruised before but not on p&o and we have a couple of questions

1- what are the benefits of booking either a mini suite or a full suite with p&o?

2- the price for a full suite for 7 nights in June 2020 on Iona is around £4000 - is this a fair price? Not at all familiar with p&o pricing.

3- what are the arrangements for drink packages and what price is a soft drink or a baileys if just buying as you go?

4- Any decks you would avoid on Iona? We were looking at a corner forward suite on deck 11.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to answer your questions as I have never had a suite, however if you log onto the P&O website their Q and A section is very good, and they will also show a drinks price list.

I can help with positioning of cabins and drinks on-board though.

I assume you are going to the Fjords on Iona as that is her schedule when she starts up, and I have been there twice.

A cabin at the front of the ship if it affords a frontal view will be great, as the normal problems of wind doesn't apply, as when cruising into the fjords the ship will only be at low speed, a bow view especially in Gerainger will be superb as there is so much to see on both sides, the 7 sisters waterfalls for example.

With regards to drinks on board we always go PAYG, the prices are extremely reasonable, including the room service full bottle prices, plus P&O still allow each guest to take a litre bottle of spirit on at embarkation, unlike most American operated lines.

So I think taking both these factors into consideration the £40 a day PP seems a bit steep for the AI drinks package, but everyone is different so it may be for good for you.

Lastly as Iona is a new ship no one has been on board yet, so the deck plans are the only thing to go on.

Hope this helps a bit.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to answer your questions as I have never had a suite, however if you log onto the P&O website their Q and A section is very good, and they will also show a drinks price list.

I can help with positioning of cabins and drinks on-board though.

I assume you are going to the Fjords on Iona as that is her schedule when she starts up, and I have been there twice.

A cabin at the front of the ship if it affords a frontal view will be great, as the normal problems of wind doesn't apply, as when cruising into the fjords the ship will only be at low speed, a bow view especially in Gerainger will be superb as there is so much to see on both sides, the 7 sisters waterfalls for example.

With regards to drinks on board we always go PAYG, the prices are extremely reasonable, including the room service full bottle prices, plus P&O still allow each guest to take a litre bottle of spirit on at embarkation, unlike most American operated lines.

So I think taking both these factors into consideration the £40 a day PP seems a bit steep for the AI drinks package, but everyone is different so it may be for good for you.

Lastly as Iona is a new ship no one has been on board yet, so the deck plans are the only thing to go on.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for your help.

I managed to find out some info on suite benefited on their website (I couldn't initially find what I wanted) so I am a bit clearer about that.

We would never drink £40 per day per person so it will be pay as you go!

We had a corner aft suite this year for the first time and loved it but didn't think of the wind factor at the front - thanks for that tip.

I doubt if prices will come down on a brand new ship so I might go ahead and just book it.

Thanks for your help.

I managed to find out some info on suite benefited on their website (I couldn't initially find what I wanted) so I am a bit clearer about that.

We would never drink £40 per day per person so it will be pay as you go!

We had a corner aft suite this year for the first time and loved it but didn't think of the wind factor at the front - thanks for that tip.

I doubt if prices will come down on a brand new ship so I might go ahead and just book it.

My only concern about front corner of deck 11 is that the balcony is steel fronted. I have never had a cabin with a steel fronted balcony so cannot comment from experience but my instinct tells me a glass fronted one will afford better views when sat on the balcony. Those who have experience of steel may advise you differently. We have a rear corner suite on the maiden cruise which has a glass fronted balcony and are very happy.

Deck 11 should be fine because you have cabins above and below. The main benefit of a suite is extra space inside and out. Butler service takes some getting used to but it is up to you how much use you make of him. For me, one of the biggest benefits is the chance to eat a nice relaxed breakfast in a small venue rather than using the MDR (which serves a decent breakfast) or braving the buffet.

My only concern about front corner of deck 11 is that the balcony is steel fronted. I have never had a cabin with a steel fronted balcony so cannot comment from experience but my instinct tells me a glass fronted one will afford better views when sat on the balcony. Those who have experience of steel may advise you differently. We have a rear corner suite on the maiden cruise which has a glass fronted balcony and are very happy.

Deck 11 should be fine because you have cabins above and below. The main benefit of a suite is extra space inside and out. Butler service takes some getting used to but it is up to you how much use you make of him. For me, one of the biggest benefits is the chance to eat a nice relaxed breakfast in a small venue rather than using the MDR (which serves a decent breakfast) or braving the buffet.

I assume it is a wraparound balcony - would the front part be steel and the side part be glass? I assume it would be steel railings and not just a big piece of solid steel?

This is Another point which hadn't occurred to me - always good to get feedback from people on these boards!

Back with another question!

After booking can you log onto your booking on the website to book extras such as excursions etc. And is this possible if you book through a travel agent or does that all have to go through them?

Once your booking is on the system you will be albe to log into the 'Cruise Personaliser' - although excursions won't be bookable yet. This applies whether you book direct or with a TA.

Thank you , that's good to know.

How far out are things like excursions normally bookable?