Excusions---when do they become available?

Annarundel

If you go into Viking website and select your cruise and then the itinerary for that cruise then scroll to the bottom of the page, examples of what might be available are always listed.

The 'actual' tours for your cruise will be listed between 100 - 120 days prior to sailing. However you access the 'actual' tours through the My Viking Journey page (which requires logon access). We set our access up when we were talking to the Viking agent on the phone.

The date you can book tours is determined by your cabin category. We are booked on Auckland - Sydney cruise for 30 December 2018 (91 days away) and can see the actual tours which are available, but can't book until we are 87 days from departure (ie 4 days time). The more expensive cabins get to book prior to us, the less expensive cabins after us.

Sometimes this means some tours are booked out before the later cabins get a look in - and if this happens to you talk to your agent or to Viking as they will usually add additional tours as time goes by.

This is an area which is not well explained in the Viking website but if you search in this forum many CC members with much more experience than I have explained the process (and offer some tricks and tips) in great detail. Enjoy.

Edited by Little Monty
spelling

hello

Annarundel

FYI below, a couple of interesting past discussions. As suggested, there is lots of very helpful information in this forum if you keep searching. Obviously you need to know your cabin category and the number of days application to that category. Dinner and spa reservations usually open up a week after your excursion bookings

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2664442&highlight=payment+for+excursions

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2661550&highlight=payment+for+excursions

Do both travelers have to book from their own Wish List, or can one person book excursions for both? How does that work? We don't always want to do the same excursion, but I can only see my own Wish List. Seems only one person would be needed to book for both parties. Thanks!

Do both travelers have to book from their own Wish List, or can one person book excursions for both? How does that work? We don't always want to do the same excursion, but I can only see my own Wish List. Seems only one person would be needed to book for both parties. Thanks!

When I did our excursion bookings, I acted for both of us, and it was simple and worked fine.

When I did our excursion bookings, I acted for both of us, and it was simple and worked fine.

It should if you are on the same bank account. As I am not on an account with anyone, I always connect on phone with other person as we are both booking our excursions at the same time. That has worked for me.

It’s a little frustrating with Alaska for Orion as the daily planner doesn’t show any excursions that we can start working on our wish lists for when they become bookable. I’ve looked for private excursions as a result and those are starting to sell out so when our booking window opens I’m expecting a sell out before our cabin- DV is released. I have quite some OBC to use so was hoping to use that.

It’s a little frustrating with Alaska for Orion as the daily planner doesn’t show any excursions that we can start working on our wish lists for when they become bookable. I’ve looked for private excursions as a result and those are starting to sell out so when our booking window opens I’m expecting a sell out before our cabin- DV is released. I have quite some OBC to use so was hoping to use that.

You can view the potential list of excursions on the Viking website long before the actual list for your particular cruise is posted on My Viking Journey. Go to the page for your cruise on the website, and scroll down to the Day by Day section. Click on Read More for any of the ports, and then scroll down again to find the possible excursions.

You won't see prices, and you can't be sure if all the ones shown will be available for your cruise, but you can get some ideas. One will be labeled as Included, so you know you are guaranteed a spot on that one, even if it might not be at the time slot you would prefer.

A final word of advice: even after you have booked your excursions, if there were choices that were sold out, keep checking back. Often people change their excursions, and sometimes Viking adds additional buses. For our cruise this week (!) I was able to go back and sign up for two excursions that I wanted that were sold out when our booking window opened.

Our cruise is only 97 days away and the excursions are still not available in MyVikingJourney for review of prices and times. We are in a DV so can't book until the end of the month but I believe the Suites could already start booking. I wonder why they aren't available yet.