13 Day New Zealand on Majestic, any advice.

Aesop081

Hello, Besides the obvious that bow and stern locations can have more motion we are about to book a mini-suite on the Majestic for the Jan 08 2020 13 day NZ tour out of Sydney. I've never cruised on quite this large a vessel in these waters. Tasman sea for example can get quite roley poley. I've been there once but on a smaller navy vessel. I know they don't compare but all boats move. I'm looking for feed back on the Majestic's sea keeping motion (wife is concerned).

Absolutely any other tidbit on the vessel would be appreciated also.

I was on for 49 day Maiden Voyage last year from Rome-Shanghai through the Suez and in a variety of Seas: Indian Ocean, North and South China Seas and don’t remember any movement at all. But I am not sensitive to this at all but I remember no comments from friends or others at all. I often have to ask people if we are underway. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got back from 12 days in the South Pacific on the Majestic Princess in C102, a Premium suite at the bow of the ship.

Yes, more motion than the center, but it was only bad one night when I took Bonine, then Zofran for nausea. Rest of the cruise was fine.

Gorgeous ship btw.

On Emerald in the Tasman Sea a few years back...

The ship's motion was mild, the major annoyance was the fog bank that closed Dunedin harbor

and made tendering to Akaroa (for Christchurch) unsafe. So we basically had 5 straight days

at sea (the scheduled 2, the 1 in Milford Sound, and the 2 where we stood off the fogbank).

At that, we had it better than the folks who took the Queenstown excursion. Instead of rejoining

the ship in Dunedin, they were on a bus, chasing us up the coast all the way to Picton at the

north end of the South Island.

I was on for 49 day Maiden Voyage last year from Rome-Shanghai through the Suez and in a variety of Seas: Indian Ocean, North and South China Seas and don’t remember any movement at all. But I am not sensitive to this at all but I remember no comments from friends or others at all. I often have to ask people if we are underway. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, sounds like an amazing trip. Thanks for the data, that should help convince her that "open ocean" is nothing to worry about.

Was on the 12 days out to the South Pacific and had the least amount of movement of any ship out to the Islands.

My Husband noticed something at the back of the ship at water level which may help with stabilizing the ship. Might not either but we couldn't come up with any other reason for it.

There were some days with white caps and Captain Dino said we were in for 2 metre swell.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks for the input, we've booked it for certain, deck 9 midships to keep her happy.  Didn't want deck 8 since there could be noise from below.  And we've convinced 4 other couples to come along.  Looking forward to the 14 hour flight...not.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, sewgood said:

Was on the 12 days out to the South Pacific and had the least amount of movement of any ship out to the Islands.

My Husband noticed something at the back of the ship at water level which may help with stabilizing the ship. Might not either but we couldn't come up with any other reason for it.

There were some days with white caps and Captain Dino said we were in for 2 metre swell.

The ship's stabilizers are midship, below the waterline.  They're marked by a white symbol painted on the ship' side -- looks sort of like a pizza paddle.

• 1 month later...

We just got back from the 13-day cruise on Majestic Princess that went to New Zealand and Australia. Two days of the cruise were crossing the Tasman Sea. Especially the first day at sea (leaving the fiords of New Zealand) was rough. The captain came on the announcement system to say the swells were higher than usual and to take precautions.  There were seasick bags on all the trashcans in public areas. It did not bother my husband but I was queasy. I took some Dramamine which helped...I never actually threw up. Although they sell sea sickness pills in the store on the ship, you might want to take some along with you just in case (probably cheaper than buying onboard). The second sea day (closer to Australia) the swells were not as bad. I guess a lot depends on the weather also.