wifi options

First time cruisers and fairly non-techie...

My husband needs the ability for his employees to contact him if needed while on the ship. Also, both of us have elderly parents and want to know family can contact us if needed.

I've read through the wifi options but looking for recommendations on what worked well for you. Chances are we won't need it, but would like a safety net of knowing we can be reached if needed.

I've read that you can't connect to VPN so I don't think hubby could check work email. Maybe a gmail account is an option. Does texting work at sea? If we have Social Plan could we communicate through Facebook Messenger?

Social plan you can use Facebook messenger. Some say iMessage works with social. I always get premium and iMessage works for me. I can check my work email but I have it setup on my phone. I don’t have to use VPN for e-mail. You may have to bump up to value plan for email though. I have outlook, gmail, yahoo, and aol email accounts and they all work on my premium plan.

ATT has something called Cruise Talk - either $50 for 50 minutes of talk and unlimited text or $100 for unlimited talk and text while on ship (if your ship is on the covered list). Good for 1 month and does not automatically renew. Not sure on amount of data you can use. This is handled by their International Services at 214-547-2300. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First time cruisers and fairly non-techie...

My husband needs the ability for his employees to contact him if needed while on the ship. Also, both of us have elderly parents and want to know family can contact us if needed.

I've read through the wifi options but looking for recommendations on what worked well for you. Chances are we won't need it, but would like a safety net of knowing we can be reached if needed.

I've read that you can't connect to VPN so I don't think hubby could check work email. Maybe a gmail account is an option. Does texting work at sea? If we have Social Plan could we communicate through Facebook Messenger?

Depends on cruise line. Carnival has bow to stern ship-wide WI-FI networks all ships.

They have all kinds of communication packages with reasonable pricing.

This link should help:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/list/kw/communications/search/1

p.s. hubby should tell his employees they get a T-shirt if they don't disturb his vaca.