What to do about TA?

PattyMichael

I am having trouble getting my TA to complete my requests. I booked a cruise to Hawaii for Mar 07, made a $900 deposit. My husband and I changed our minds. We want to book the Western Europe 13 night on the Century 9/2/06. We requested her to transfer our deposit, and to look into arifares. I have sent her several emails to conform this was done with no reply. I called her and she said I have just been so busy. Can I transfer the booking back to Celebtiy? And just take care of everything my own. I can go on the net and book our fights. Why is it better to have a TA, when I can get my trip planned faster than she can. If we go with the cruise line airfare don't we pay more, and have to take the flights they want us to? I am a member of the CC so I won't have to pay the $50 to change the fights. But the cruse lines want $1290 each round trip from LAX to Amsterdam. I know we can do better then that. We won't be using transfers. We are arriving a day early and taking a shore trip after that takes use to the airport at the end of the cruise. I am so confused about what is the best way to go. I might gave her until friday to respond. Do I call her again and say I am transfering the booking to Celebrity? I fell bad we have used her for 10 years.

If you've used this TA for 10 years, I say give her a break. I do know for a fact that this is the busiest time of year for travel agents and that they are indeed "swamped" with work. One of my closest friends also happens to be my TA - while she is the owner of the business, she has been working 7 days a week, 12 hour days for weeks now - and it's the same thing every year. So, it's doubtful you're TA is ignoring your request, your TA is more than likely simply overwhelmed with work. I know it's easy for us, myself included, to believe "we" are the most important client and that our requests should get priority attention but, sometimes it just a matter of who is leaving soonest or what problem is the biggest.

I tend to agree with SFBC on this on though a more customer friendly response from your TA would have been "I am working on it". Also, TA's are people too and emergencies can arise to put them behind. If you can manage it and you are anxious to secure a specific cabin you can book on line with Celebrity and transfer booking back to your TA. As for your current booking I believe your TA needs to release the booking from her end and there isn't much you can do from that standpoint. Good luck with your plans.

Frank

It is a busy time of the year, but certainly not as busy as in a few months. It may seem busy to some of us cause Nov/Dec is so slow. As for sticking with her, if she has always come through in the past I would give her a little time: on the other hand your final payment on the March cruise is due so think you better, at least get a clarification from her about this. NMnita

Thank you all for the response. I didnt know this is a busy time for TA's. I will give her some more time. Any advice on getting air fare from the cruise line or on your own? This will be our first time to Europe. The crusie looks wonderful 10 ports in 13 days. We will need a vacation after our vacation. LOL

Yes, IT IS BUSY! OMG!!! Since Jan 2.. 7 days a week 10-12hrs a day in the office, and then playing catch up at home.

Call Celebrity, book the cabin you want for September. Your agency's customer service department can get the deposits transferred over for you.. no sweat.

"Your agency's customer service department can get the deposits transferred over for you.. no sweat."

OCNGYPZ,

Sorry just can't let this one go, LOL. Presumably if the OP's agency had any customer service they wouldn't have posted here. Though your suggestion to go ahead and book through Celebrity and work it out eventually with the current agent is also what I suggested. Since you are an agent was I correct in stating that the booking agent must release the reservation if that is the route they wish to take.

Most of the responses here have surprised me. The reason most CC members give for using a TA instead of booking directly (especially when there is no price difference) is SERVICE. IMHO, if the OP is not getting service there is no reason to use this TA. What would the responses be if the OP was trying to change to a very popular cabin that just became available or a significant price drop and could get no response from the TA? If it were me, i'd take the booking back and deal directly. This TA is too busy to look out for the OP's best interests in this booking.

"Your agency's customer service department can get the deposits transferred over for you.. no sweat."

OCNGYPZ,

Sorry just can't let this one go, LOL. Presumably if the OP's agency had any customer service they wouldn't have posted here. Though your suggestion to go ahead and book through Celebrity and work it out eventually with the current agent is also what I suggested. Since you are an agent was I correct in stating that the booking agent must release the reservation if that is the route they wish to take.

You would be surprised how many cruisers do not utilize the customer service departments at their travel agencies.

Right now it is so busy, there are several cruiselines for which we cannot use any reservation system.. their servers being too jammed. Average wait time yesterday with a couple of them was in excess of 1/2 hour.. and that was after calling several times and not even being able to get in line "on hold"! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!! One cruisetour booking took me 2 hrs to complete yesterday... and that's not counting the time spent with the client.

It's busy. Book early!

There are many travel agencies that have cancellation fees, so you may be liable for one if you "cancel" your booking with them and transfer it to Celebrity. In fact, I only know of one travel agency that doesn't have any cancellation fees of their own.

Thanks for all the input. My TA is a a 3 person office no custormer service dept. I did call Celebrity and booked the 9/2/06 Europe Century, trip I had to put down another $900 deposit. They wouldnt transfer the $900 from the Hawaii cruise. They told me my TA needs to do that, but they will transfer the Europe to my TA, whenever she gets ahold of them. My mind is at ease I would be so dispointed if the cruise sold out. So now Celebrity has $1800 of your money. We will have less to pay down the road.:rolleyes:

Patricia,

Thanks for posting how you handled this situation. As I suspected your original booking can only be canceled by the agent that made the booking, seems like most if not all cruise lines refuse to get involved between the passenger and whoever made the booking. As for the double deposit money hanging out there, I would suspect that you could get that credited back to your credit card(?) but even that may take a few months. Good luck with your plans and have a great cruise.

Frank

Ok All. It's Friday still no word from TA. Made my requests 2 weeks ago. I have sent several emails no reply. I learned all TA's everywhere are very busy, but this is driving me crazy. I will wait until Monday or Tuesday to call her again. If she has not done anything we requested I will need to tell her to transfer the booking back to Celebrity, and I will deal with everthing myself. At least I called Celebrity and made the booking. I could be handling this trip better then her.

No matter how busy the TA is, there's no reason not to handle your request by now. You've been extremely generous to wait this long. I wouldn't expect a client to wait more than 24 hours, and if it was going to be longer than that, I'd at least set the client's expectations.

2 weeks is not acceptable, under ANY circumstances. Agents like that are the ones that give TA's a bad name. :mad:

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Update, My TA sent us a email. Everything is all set for out 9/2/06, but she said she is still working on our airfare. Celebrity wants $1290 each for round trip LAX to Amsterdam, Barcelona to LAX. I ask her to look into lower fares on our own. Can we get lower fare ,then the cruise line offers?

Archived