Snorkel Questions

cleobella

We are on Celebrity Edge in Grand Cayman next Feb. We'd like to do some snorkeling, have equipment and a little experience being snorkeling a couple of times before. Does anyone know where the shore excursion tours go to snorkel? I'm looking at a ship excursion with 2 sites. Also, is the Kittiwake Wreck interesting to snorkel around or is it more interesting to go to the reefs? Finally, is there any safe snorkeling sites within a miles walks from the tender site? Thanks for any info!

if you want to just get in the water with your own equipment ... as you exit the tender spot walk to the right around the bend is a place called eden rock it is a perfect spot to snorkel we have snorkeled there may times tarpons and parrot fish plentiful we love it at the restaurant the also rent equipment and great turle soup!

Does anyone know where the shore excursion tours go to snorkel?

A GOOD excursion picks their sites by conditions at the time ..... a bad one locks in sites up front

is the Kittiwake Wreck interesting to snorkel around

Yes but it is deep by snork standards so all you do is look down on it (and the scuba divers getting close)

I suggest you search here for 'eden rock' , 'sunset house' , and even 'smiths cove'

I would note that if you search you'll find that I've in the past described Eden and Sunset as 'big boy snorkeling' . . . the water here is 30 foot deep or more in most places. In the few where the water is just a foot or two on the top of the coral (Eden primarily) STANDING on the coral is a HUGE NO NO .....

If you are not an experienced snork' I suggest these spots (Eden Sunset) are not for you but Smith's would be . . .