• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just noted that "HAM Radios" are a PROHIBITED ITEM on NCL. Read the list :-) Does anybody have any further information or experiences. Seems that we should be allowed to carry VHF/UHF HTs and use them in international waters and in our home country waters. Cayman Islands and Bahamas licenses are available also. (not free) de KC8CF

@CountyHighway35 You might want to check again if there is an "exceptions" list. For example, Carnival (I'm about to embark on Glory from Miami) has radios, including "Ham radios" on the Prohibited Items list, but there's an "exceptions" list which specifically states that ham radios are allowed. I called them (Carnival) and confirmed that nothing further is necessary (though you won't be allowed to transmit (at least HF) from public areas). HOWEVER, in international waters, your ships flag country is the 'operating country', so you can't just blanket bring an HT (even those ubiquitous FRS radios aren't legal without a license in many countries, much less the GMRS-capable units) Many of Carnival's fleet are Bahaman-flagged, which means you'd have to get a Bahamian (?) permit for international waters. CCL Glory is Panama, which is under IARP, which is available from ARRL for $10. ...de AD7MY

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...