Small Kids in PR, getting in late. what to do?

pyropoodle

I (will) have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, so need suggestions of what to do with them in PR. our ship is getting in pretty late, around 3:00-11PM, so the children's museum is out as I believe it closes at 3:30. it's an odd time for a ship to dock, I'm used to getting into ports super early and having most of the day.   I know I could take them to the forts, but are there any other suggestions?

3 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

I (will) have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, so need suggestions of what to do with them in PR. our ship is getting in pretty late, around 3:00-11PM, so the children's museum is out as I believe it closes at 3:30. it's an odd time for a ship to dock, I'm used to getting into ports super early and having most of the day.   I know I could take them to the forts, but are there any other suggestions?

There are several simple but fun for them things you could do. Stroll on Paseo de la Princesa once you get off the ship. This is just by the water and if you go to the left end behind the big fountain, there are usually huge Tarpon fish ahngging around day and night. The fishermen area of SJ is located there and even when no one's around, the fish stay hoping they get some scraps thrown their way. There's also the Pigeon Park. As the name suggests, this is hugely frequented by hungry pigeons and there's a vendor on the gate that for $1 gives you a bag of corn or peas to feed them (you can buy as many as you wish). They will even eat from the kids hands! There's also El Morro. The massive fort you will see when entering San Juan Bay is a nice place to take the kids as well. Or you can take them just to fly kites in the grounds in front of the fort like so many other do. There are kite vendors nearby where the "front lawn" starts to the right or buy some at Walgreens or CVS when you debark the ship and take them with you. If it were me, I'd do them in reverse order as written here, depending on the time of year you're in SJ. During summer, at 7pm, there's still usable light, although the fort closes at 6pm. The pigeon park also closes around 6pm during the summer, maybe a bit earlier during winter. Paseo de la Princesa is open all the time, except the walkway that borders the lower wall of the city and El Morro. If you go during daylight, there's a big stray cat community around the rocks there. Most are vaccinated since there's an organization called "save a gato" with a catch and release program to spay and neuter and care for strays. Kittens are usually cared for and given up for adoption through local Petsmart stores.

• Like 1

thanks for the info.  printed this off for my binder!    we are there in the summer, so hopefully we'll have just enough to do to keep them occupied before heading back to the ship for dinner, then bed.   no way I'm keep them both up until 10:00 or later.  I'd die!

much appreciated.