Car vs motorcycle rental in St. Thomas

miss meow

Hello....we'll be in St. Thomas via Carnival Triumph at the end of March 2006....thought about either renting a car OR a motorcycle to just see the sights....have read several posts about renting a car, but what about renting a motorcycle - has anyone done that? Any recommendations? We're also going to St Maarten directly following as our next port of call and same question applies there as well if anyone has any input. If you rent a motorcycle, do they have helmets to rent?

Thanks for any input!!!

St. Thomas: Some of the scooter rentals have motorcycles, you can try Tropical Scooter 340-714-7408 and Biz Scooter Rentals http://www.scootervi.biz 340-774-5840. I am not positive on the helmet question but I'd quess they have them for you as its the law and also for safety reasons (island is mountainous, curvy roads etc. so it would just be advisable of them to have helmets for you)... but definately ask when you contact them to be sure.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Rented scooter in April 2004 as it was Carnival and there were no cars available. Helmets were provided. I'm pretty sure it was Tropical Scooter. DH still has my claw marks on his shoulders.

We only got ran off the road once, and it happened to be a taxi carrying the couple we were sailing with!

It did make finding a parking spot a little easier though!

• 4 weeks later...

miss mewo

so, did you decide to rent the motorcycle on st. thomas? we're thinking of doing the same. we've got an email sent to the place that rents the honda 250. we'll be there on the 21st of march. please let me know if you found out anything else on this subject.

thanks!

tracie

• 1 month later...

We rented a Honda 250 from Ceasar at Biz Scooter rentals. $75 for the day included gas, insurance, helmets and backpacks. We had our own backpacks with snorkel gear. Ceasar was very nice guy. Took the time to go over the map with us. No problem driving on the left side of the road and parking was very easy. It would have been impossible to find a parking spot for a car in most of the places we went. We made it to Sapphire, Coki, Secret Harbor and Megans Bay. Only snorkeled at the first 3. No fun being stuck in traffic jam downtown in the late afternoon, tho. Lots of ships at port the day we were there. No matter how you get downtown, head back early.

I live on St Thomas, and I wouldn't take a motor cycle around. For the money spend it on a car. The thought of going up a steep hill in the rain around a hairpin turn, and then for tourists remembering to keep left. Good luck.

Archived