Vegetarian Cruisers

CattyMom

We are looking forward to our first Princess cruise in April, transatlantic on the Sea Princess, for 14 days. Can anyone tell me about the vegetarian options on Princess. Thanks to everyone for all the good advice on this board.

I'm not vegetarian, so I'm not your best bet for this topic. But, I do like a lot of the meatless dishes Princess serves. Princess has several vegetarian choices on each menu, but in all honesty, you may have to use some creativity (which you are probably quite used to!)

I think you would like...

--Grilled veggie salad (yum! ask if they'd plate it as an entree??)

--Many cream veggie soups or cold fruit soups

--Mushroom crepes or veggie pitas at lunch (check the menu each day)

--Many pasta dishes

There are also veggie burgers, which I normally really like, but I'm fussy about. I've only ordered it once on Princess, and either the brand or the preparation was off. Not inedible, but....off.

There are a number of vegetarian options on all of the menus. Also, if you let your waiter and Maitre D know, they'll give you a menu the night before and you can special-order any dish any way you want it. If there's something on the menu from that night and you want it the next night, let them know. They are very flexible and amenable to dietary restrictions or preferences.

Several years ago, we had a couple at our table and he was a diabetic and followed Jewish dietary laws. They special-ordered his breakfast, lunch and dinner every night to his taste and diet. A couple of years ago, we had a couple at our table who were vegan and again, they were able to special order food and meals.

I was on the Star Princess for 10 days last summer. While I am not a vegetarian, my wife and two sons (then ages 14 & 16) are. They managed just fine. There were always vegetarian choices at dinner, as well as at the buffet. Once or twice we even put in a special order for dinner the night before (it was the waiter's idea) and it worked out nicely.

Having said all this, it was not a vegetarians delight. The vegetarian fare got a bit repetitive, and was not exactly filled with protein.

Nonetheless, it must have been OK, since we are going on another Princess cruise next month!

Archived