Bus to NY from Bos., Prov., Conn.?

PrincessBubbles

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything reguarding the Bus situation. We are going on the Dawn 3/16/06. Last I heard NCl was no longer providing this service, but you could use Entertainment Tours. If you use this company do they take you into the Port and drop you off or do they let you off someplace else and you have to walk? Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Robin.

They take you right to the port. It is a turn around bus which means that when you return from your sailing, you have to wait until the bus leaves off passengers for the next cruise.

So unlike the ncl bus, you have to wait until around 1:00 to board the bus for the ride back home.

There is one person on the sailing that is getting back today that did use the bus, so I am waiting to hear his experience. Hopefully it will work out ok. One draw back is where will we wait while waiting for the bus to return? It will be difficult because we will have all our luggage. I will be sailing on Feb 23 and I will not be in a hurry to get off the ship.

Marie

I'm eagerly awaiting the same info. I am taking this bus on 4/16/2006 and am wondering how long NCL will let us stay on the ship. Also what are we going to do while waiting with all the luggage and 4 kids. One more thing, where in South Station bus terminal do we get the bus?? Is it the same door at the top of the escalator where we got the NCL bus? When we were there the last time none of the bus terminal employees knew anything about an NCl bus and that terminal is huge!

We just got back today 1/2-1/12/06 cruise on the Dawn and the Entertainment bus went very smoothly. There were 12 of us that got on 1/2/06 in Prov. and because there were only 12 of us, they used a smaller bus (24 pass.). Our trip down on 1/2 was very quick given the holiday and we were at the cruise terminal by 11:30 (with two bathroom breaks in Mystic and New Haven, (WBOB) weak bladders on board!) and in our cabins by 1:30pm. Coming home they drop off first and then picked us up and we left today at 12:45 pm and we were dropped off at 4:15 (with one stop for food at a McD's on 95 in New Haven). Nancy at Entertainment Tours was very helpful.

They drop off and pickup right at the Cruise port terminal with the Baggage Porters literally feet away. Our "color" was called about 10:30 am and we had to get in the "non US Citizen line" and by the time we got our passports back (NCL keeps non US Citizens passports during the cruise) , went through Immigration, got our bags, wnet through Customs, it was 12:15... so we had a half hour to kill. The solution to all the down time maybe to stay in your cabin and watch tv until they've called everyone.

We just got back today 1/2-1/12/06 cruise on the Dawn and the Entertainment bus went very smoothly. There were 12 of us that got on 1/2/06 in Prov. and because there were only 12 of us, they used a smaller bus (24 pass.). Our trip down on 1/2 was very quick given the holiday and we were at the cruise terminal by 11:30 (with two bathroom breaks in Mystic and New Haven, (WBOB) weak bladders on board!) and in our cabins by 1:30pm. Coming home they drop off first and then picked us up and we left today at 12:45 pm and we were dropped off at 4:15 (with one stop for food at a McD's on 95 in New Haven). Nancy at Entertainment Tours was very helpful.

Thanks so much for the info. We are taking this bus on 2/2/06 and its nice to hear positive things....Cyndi:)

Just want to give a plug for taking the train. We live on the Cape; drove to Providence and took the train inot Penn Station. Extremely comfortable and relaxing.Amtrak offers a discount for cruise passengers. Took a short cab ride to the pier.

I have looked at Amtrak, Greyhound, and cabs. Last year I took the bus to the Dawn, which was great. I think looking at schedules and costs, we are going to take Amtrak from New London, CT going down, and the bus back. I did not see any Amtrack discounts for cruise passengers. I was going to use my AAA discount, which was 10%. How much was the cruise passenger discount?

Just want to give a plug for taking the train. We live on the Cape; drove to Providence and took the train inot Penn Station. Extremely comfortable and relaxing.Amtrak offers a discount for cruise passengers. Took a short cab ride to the pier.

How was it taking the train? Does Amtrak check your baggage, or do you have to handle it yourself? We will be leaving from Providence also. Am still undecided on what mode of transportation to take. Last year we took the bus. We wanted to try something different this year. The cost for Amtrak from Prov to NY is 202.00 per couple round trip. Entertainment Tours is 100.00 per couple round trip. Greyhound has a fare for bus travel from Prov to NY for 64.00 round trip per couple. Which would be easiest?

Amtrak provides Red Caps service to help you with your luggage at major cities, otherwise you handle them yourself. Red Caps usually accompany you to your car, where the car steward helps you with your bags onto the train.

You're rarely seperated from line of sight to your bags.

The bus may be easier, but the train will have much more room.

How was it taking the train? Does Amtrak check your baggage, or do you have to handle it yourself? We will be leaving from Providence also. Am still undecided on what mode of transportation to take. Last year we took the bus. We wanted to try something different this year. The cost for Amtrak from Prov to NY is 202.00 per couple round trip. Entertainment Tours is 100.00 per couple round trip. Greyhound has a fare for bus travel from Prov to NY for 64.00 round trip per couple. Which would be easiest?

Easiest - Entertainment Tours - it takes you directly to the pier with a bus full of cruise passengers. Once your bags are on the bus you never need to touch them again. The porters will meet the bus.

Should be an interesting crowd on the Greyhound plus you will need to hall your bags outside Port Authority and catch a cab.

FYI you need to add cab fare to the other two options.

• 1 month later...

For those interested in Amtrak- we parked at the train station in Providence in the overflow lot. We had to porter our bags ourselves- it is more expensive but I love train travel with the ability to get up and walk around. I've taken both the regular and the Acela (prefer Acela)- the seats are great!!

Archived