Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Smithgirl2

I'm not sure this is really a disability, but I was recently diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I have a cruise booked with some friends for March, and now I'm really nervous about having access to facilities, etc. Does anyone else have this issue and any suggestions on dealing with this while you travel?

Thanks!

I'm not really familiar with what you would require. In other words I don't really know what you mean by "access to the facilities". Do you mean "are the public restrooms abourd the ships wheelchair-accessible"? It would help if you could state your specific needs, along with the ship/cruise you are planning on booking. That would give us all a better idea of what your needs are.

Candy

I have a cruise booked with some friends for March, and now I'm really nervous about having access to facilities, etc. Does anyone else have this issue and any suggestions on dealing with this while you travel?

Thanks!

I also have IBS, and my best advice to you would be to try and get it under control BEFORE going on your cruise - this will make it much more enjoyable! I brought mine under control by taking soluable fiber all day long. Believe it or not, this works whether you have the constipation or diarrea type! Avioding your "trigger" foods also helps! (mine are raw vegetables, nuts, popcorn, etc...) If I am good and remember to take my fiber before each meal, I have no problems whatsoever. When I don't, I can really pay for it!

I got a lot of helpful information from this website, but you don't have to buy her products if you don't want to.... Good luck to you!

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/

Yes, I agree. A friend has this. Look at the deck plans and know where the washrooms are located, esp on the pool decks. and where your Dining Room is located. IF your Dining Room has your washroom on the opposit side from where your table is ask the Mait'd to move you to the side that you need to be near(ie female is on starboard (right side) or port (left side). The Mait'd is set up the first day usually between 1-4 PM by the Dining Room. He will move you and your companies if you have their names and room numbers (if you are a small group). They are very understanding of some medical conditions. If you have any dietary needs this is when to bring them up too. ie you need to have certain veggies or not. Also instruct your waiter that you can not have peas or cauliflower. Ask that you be told if any of your triggers are in any of the things you order that you be told. Sometimes they will suggest that you chose something else because they know that the base of the sauce is made with a sauce containing what it is you can not have. You should contact the special Needs Deptment of the Cruiseline before you go (as soon as you book or 60 days inadvance if possible) and tell them if you have special dietary needs or allergies to foods.

• 2 months later...

I happen to have IBS as well as idiopathic left-sided colitis, and just went on my first cruise last month. If stress is a trigger, you shouldn't have a problem. Just remember that anything that's a trigger on land will be a trigger on the ship, and don't forget to take your fiber!

Also - if you're rooming with someone you don't know, let them know that you have IBS the first day. This way there's no unpleasant surprises.

Archived