So Many Indonesia Questions!

TiffanyW

Hi. My teenage daughter and I are doing something much more adventurous than we've ever done before-- we are taking an 11 day cruise throughout Indonesia leaving from Singapore on Windstar this Christmas. I have SO many questions. Any answers you guys can provide from experience would be greatly appreciated.

1. For safety reasons, we booked excursions from Windstar for nearly every day. How much spending money is recommended per day? Do I get local currency in NYC (where we live) or somehow get it there? 

2. Is tipping practiced in Indonesia?

3. I SEARCHED the internet and couldn't find one person who has done this cruise in the past. Is anyone out there!?!? ha ha. I would just love some feedback.

4. Indonesia is a majority Muslim country. Should my daughter and I dress a certain way?

5. There is so little information on most of the ports. Does any port stand out for good or bad reasons?

6. Cell phones!!! I kinda of need to be somewhat reachable for work... email, etc. Should I rely on the ship's wifi? Or buy a SIM card for my phone? Do I buy it at the airport or in the country?

Thanks in advance for any answers. If there is something I didn't think to ask, please tell me! Any advice at all is welcomed and appreciated.

-Tiffany

Edited by TiffanyW

Nice itinerary/ship and seemingly great price.

1. IDR (Indonesian Rupiah) 

Get it there.  Or in Singapore.  It's hard to get outside the region

Please don't try to pay with US Dollars.  I was mobbed on Komodo acting as a bank to buy USD from the locals (no bank on Komodo) who wanted IDR.

4. Advisable to be modest when off ship.  No sheer/see-through and cover at least shoulders, arms and below knee.

6.  SIM cards and plans of all sort are available everywhere cheap.  You'll find a couple of outlets in small villages that may have no other shops.   T-Mobile may have roaming plans.

I've not cruised int he region in living memory, other than on an ex-fishing boat from Labuan Bajo to Komodo.

• Thanks 1