CURRENT information on Yuri - Cuba Guiders

kcscrapper

I have a tour for 8 reserved with Yuri for November 15.  (However, we leave in 1.5 weeks)

He has not responded to recent messages requesting time and place of meeting and what type of transportation he provides.

He had good reviews at Trip Advisor -- but, things can change.  I know of the internet difficulties; I know that Hurricane Michael has caused problems.  I've allowed consideration for those in expecting a response. Other private operators have responded to recent inquiry.

Does anyone have CURRENT information as to Yuri and/or Cuba Guiders.

I used them 10 months ago and would not recommend him.  He told us we'd have a private tour in our own classic car (in Santiago de Cuba)....but what it turned out to be was that there were about 10 cars (ours was a piece of junk that had not been maintained) that went to each site as a caravan! It took so long to drive, park, have all the people get out and walk to the site, then Yuri would tell us about what we were seeing, then back to the cars and on to the next place. And it was hard to hear him if you weren't close to him. I liked the sites, but his method of touring wasn't efficient and we didn't enjoy it.

14 hours ago, kcscrapper said:

I have a tour for 8 reserved with Yuri for November 15.  (However, we leave in 1.5 weeks)

He has not responded to recent messages requesting time and place of meeting and what type of transportation he provides.

He had good reviews at Trip Advisor -- but, things can change.  I know of the internet difficulties; I know that Hurricane Michael has caused problems.  I've allowed consideration for those in expecting a response. Other private operators have responded to recent inquiry.

Does anyone have CURRENT information as to Yuri and/or Cuba Guiders.

When we were checking out private tour guides Yuri was one of the last to answer.  I think it was almost 2 weeks from my first email to him before he responded.  Subsequent emails with him was just as slow.  

I don't think he will forgo what he would earn from a tour group of 9.  You are already a committed client so may be he is prioritizing his responses to new client queries first?  

Which port did you book with him?  He has a good meeting map on his website for cruise passenger tours for all 3 ports he services:

http://cubaguider.com/package/santiago-de-cuba-city-tour-cruiseships/

http://cubaguider.com/package/cienfuegos-trinidad-city-tour-cruiseship/

http://cubaguider.com/package/havana-city-tour-in-2-days-cruiseships/

My guess is he will meet you on your ship's arrival.  

Laurence

Thanks -- in the original messages -- back in March!! -- he said he'd meet us at the port.  I have guessed that most guides would be informed as to when the ships dock and approximately how long it takes for Pax to get off.

I'd just like some confirmation!  

We will probably keep him for Cienfuegos-Trinadad (that is the group of 😎 .....but based on the "caravan" approach, I'm thinking I'll quickly find someone else for Santiago. 

5 hours ago, kcscrapper said:

Thanks -- in the original messages -- back in March!! -- he said he'd meet us at the port.  I have guessed that most guides would be informed as to when the ships dock and approximately how long it takes for Pax to get off.

I'd just like some confirmation!  

We will probably keep him for Cienfuegos-Trinadad (that is the group of 😎 .....but based on the "caravan" approach, I'm thinking I'll quickly find someone else for Santiago. 

It appears that Yuri doesn't have a good source of vehicle / driver when there are a large number of bookings thus the poor vehicle that Go-Bucks above got and the caravan approach that he has.  I think caravan is ok as long as the vehicles are good and the caravan is limited to people in your private party and he tells you ahead of time.  Did Yuri promise a good quality van with AC?  Are there others in your cruise's roll call going with Yuri other than the 9 people in your party?

I would be more concern about Yuri's  Cienfuegos-Trinadad tour.  He is from Holguin, Cuba his travel to Santiago de Cuba is less than 2 hours.  For Cienfuegos he has to travel for almost 9 hours to meet you for your excursion.  Also there is a longer distance and time to travel on tour e.g. from Cienfuegos to Trinidad is 80 km, 1 1/2 hours it is more important to have good vehicles with AC.  If you stay with Yuri you may want to insist on him telling you what vehicle he will be using and if your tour is totally private or there will be other caravan parties with you.

I think that most Tour operators in Cuba don't have their own vehicle.  They rent the car + driver from a 3rd party.  Legally the car or van needs to be licensed to carry tourists.  With a large party the tour operator need to reserve ahead for a van that fits everyone or multiple cars with drivers.  The quality of the vehicle and quality of the driver will depend on what's available from the renters that they get the vehicle and driver from.  I suspect that larger companies like trinidadsightseeing or FerTours would have better clout to get the right vehicle necessary for large parties.  If you are looking for an alternative to Yuri (if it is still possible to make a change?) you may want to focus on querying these larger companies.  See my Cienfuegos excursion list thread here:

For Santiago de Cuba the number of well reviewed private tour operators are limited.  I would try outofthebox tours.  He is a friend of the FerTours owner.  I would press him and negotiate for a good rate for your large party and make sure he has a van for you.  For other operators I would be even more skeptical if they are able to handle your large group. 

I see from your posts that your cruise is on the Azamara, my understanding is Azamara has overnight stays for every port?  If you are adventurous to go out in the evening in Santiago you may want to look into doing an evening walking tour to the Casa de La Trova and the musical streets and see if it interests you and your party.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147273-d316200-Reviews-Casa_de_La_Trova-Santiago_de_Cuba_Santiago_de_Cuba_Province_Cuba.html

Check out the free evening tour here: https://www.guruwalk.com/santiago-de-cuba

When you are back please share you experience getting off your ship / going through immigration / money exchange in Santiago.  Our ship in December also has the first port of call in Santiago.  

Good luck!

Laurence

Edited by ebslcc

I heard from Yuri earlier this week from this address:   

www.cubaguider.com

yuri.arcayaborrego@nauta.cu

He responded to me within 2 days from a follow up email I sent him.  He did say that he was “dealing with lots of emails for 
tours happening within the current month”.