Sabor on Freedom Review

dianajo67

Just finishing up 8 days on Freedom.  Had dinner once in Sabor and did the Guacamole making class that includes lunch another day.  My husband and I ordered different things and shared.  Felt I tried a good variety.

I have mixed feelings.  The specialty margaritas, guacamole, chips, pico de Gallo are outstanding.  Was not as happy with the entrees.  Technically, the Mexican specialties on the menu like the tacos, burritos and quesadillas, along with the entree looking items such as the red snapper or shrimps all count as main entrees.  Guests are only supposed to get one choice from all those menu sections combined.  In reality, there is some flexibility.  I was able to get an entree quesadilla as an appetizer along with the chicken tacos.  My husband had a beef burrito and shrimp tacos. We tried all the appetizers and dessert as well.

What I didn’t like was the flavoring of the meats.  They tasted like BBQ sauce.  The seasoning/sauces are pretty smoky.  Same with the pinto beans and Mexican rice.   Pinto beans tasted like Smokey baked beans from a summer picnic.  Don’t get me wrong.  I like BBQ.  It’s just not what I expected.

I had the snapper ceviche.  It, on the other hand, was full on Asian.  Primary flavor was ginger.

Loved the queso dip.  The corn and flour tortillas were super fresh and tasty across the board.  All the desserts were good.  Lots of melted cheese on the quesadillas, but meat quantity was kinda skimpy.  I would’ve been irritated if that was my only entree allowed.  

Service was super attentive, so no issues there.

Probably will not go back to Sabor on Freedom where it’s a specialty dining restaurant only.  My husband felt the same way about the food.  We didn’t really discuss while we were in the restaurant...only later as we talked about cruise highlights.  I will miss the jalapeño cucumber margaritas though.  You have to eat in Sabor on Freedom in order to have one.  On Oasis class, you can just walk in and order one to go.

I agree with you.  They changed the menu up last year I believe sometime.  We had it on Freedom two years ago and loved it.  Navigator last year had what you described and while not bad, it was just ok.  Guacamole was good but nothing else I was dying to go back for.  

Thank you for the update. We did Sabor for lunch one day for $15/pp in 2016 on Liberty. The three of us shared 3 entrees, and they brought out every appetizer. We also had all five desserts brought out. I didn't try the tableside guacamole. I had two margaritas, they were good and spicy.

Did you take a picture of the new menu by chance?

1 hour ago, M_BA said:

Thank you for the update. We did Sabor for lunch one day for $15/pp in 2016 on Liberty. The three of us shared 3 entrees, and they brought out every appetizer. We also had all five desserts brought out. I didn't try the tableside guacamole. I had two margaritas, they were good and spicy.

This was from lunch last year with the new menu.  Dinner while more expensive wasn’t hardly any different.

7C98DE7E-B9F9-44AA-A3A4-DC9BDF0C5791.jpeg

77801D3A-B922-4CD6-83EE-C2149149CC8C.jpeg

4EC08F5F-65FB-464B-BCDC-A1C772B71E3A.jpeg

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this review.  We just purchased the 3 night dining package for our Freedom cruise, and will definitely try it for ourselves.  Did you happen to try the shortrib?  I hope it's not covered in bbq sauce!

Would love to read more about your cruise!

Sorry...one more thing.  Guacamole is not prepared table side.  It is done in the back, looks and tastes great when they bring it out, and you can get it mild, medium or hot.

We enjoyed the guacamole making class.  Didnt learn any great secrets, but it was fun socially.   It includes a slightly downsized margarita, but I did see servers fetch a second drink for a few folks.

Thank you for the menus! We'll probably do Sabor again for lunch when they offer a discounted rate. The menus are similar for each, so half off dinner makes sense for a nice lunch. 

I wonder why they don't do the guacamole table side anymore?

Ate at chops twice and it was probably my best chops experience in 6 cruises.  Food was cooked perfectly.  Had no issues making our shows if we told our servers.  I also like that the chops on Freedom has a high up ocean view with big windows.  Chops and Giovanni’s are at the entrance to the windjammer on deck 11.

I’ve seen quite a few negative comments on here about FOS customer service.  I did not experience anything short of cheerful, attentive service at any dining venue.   Ate in the MDR 5 times.  Food was acceptable/good.

Lets just say I didn’t leave the cruise (sitting at SJU now) feeling hungry (or skinny)!

Thanks for the review. I'm sad they changed them from alacarte.  We enjoyed it on allure a few years ago.  What is the Guacamole making class?  Price?  Can anyone sign up?  I can't imagine a whole class to teach you that..lol

On 10/27/2018 at 6:29 PM, M_BA said:

That was the way it was for us on Freedom in 2015, made for a good lunch at that price, we usually don't do specialty restaurants at lunch. 

21 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

Ate at chops twice and it was probably my best chops experience in 6 cruises.  Food was cooked perfectly.  Had no issues making our shows if we told our servers.  I also like that the chops on Freedom has a high up ocean view with big windows.  Chops and Giovanni’s are at the entrance to the windjammer on deck 11.

I’ve seen quite a few negative comments on here about FOS customer service.  I did not experience anything short of cheerful, attentive service at any dining venue.   Ate in the MDR 5 times.  Food was acceptable/good.

Lets just say I didn’t leave the cruise (sitting at SJU now) feeling hungry (or skinny)!

D, are you going to be writing a full on review of your (our) cruise?  If so, interested in getting your thoughts on the entire experience.  I have my own, which I will be trying to put together tonight.