Wyndham French Quarter feedback and help please

llcruisers

We did the Priceline express for $163 and got the Wyndham.  We are only staying for one night before our cruise departing on 3/24/19.  Anyone has experience with this hotel? We want to walk to Acme Oyster House and Cafe DU Monde.  Is it safe? We have our tween daughter with us.  Also, how much will it cost for transportation from airport to hotel? And best way to get from hotel to port?  We’ll be sailing on Norwegian breakaway.  Thank you in advance for the feedback and help.

Haven't been to NOLA in about ten years but I do know the French Quarter is safe. Our family (including teen, preteen, and grandparents) is spending a day in town before and after our Breakaway cruise in December. We plan on walking everywhere (French Quarter, Treme, Garden District) during the day and Lyfting  at night. I do have concerns about walking my kids through Bourbon Street, not because it's unsafe, but because you see aaaaaallll kinds of nonsense there. If anything, it'll be a cautionary tale for them. Ha! We expect to pay around $30-$40 for a Lyft ride from MSY to our hotel near the convention center.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:52 PM, llcruisers said:

We did the Priceline express for $163 and got the Wyndham.  We are only staying for one night before our cruise departing on 3/24/19.  Anyone has experience with this hotel? We want to walk to Acme Oyster House and Cafe DU Monde.  Is it safe? We have our tween daughter with us.  Also, how much will it cost for transportation from airport to hotel? And best way to get from hotel to port?  We’ll be sailing on Norwegian breakaway.  Thank you in advance for the feedback and help.

Cafe Du Monde is a little over a half mile walk from your hotel and Acme Oyster House is just around the block from your front entrance.  It is a very safe walking area and you will not encounter any obnoxious drunks during the day.   You hotel is located on Royal Street and is filled with a mix of art galleries, antique stores, and high-end shops.  It also a wonderful place to encounter street entertainers and musicians.  Like the song says "you don't need penny just to hang around, but if you got a nickel won't you lay your money down?"  Cafe Beignet is located on Royal about two blocks north of the Wyndam.  I don't want to start an argument but their Beignets are every bit as good as Cafe Du Monde and the line is much shorter.   If you do decide to go to Cafe Du Monde you can walk through Jackson Square and also visit the French Market.  Trust me when I tell you that New Orleans is the best port on your cruise itinerary.  I would make dozens of suggestions but you only have one day so see what you can. We will be taking the same cruise a week before you and and even though we have been there dozens of times before we will be coming to NOLA 4 days early to enjoy the town.  My only security warning is do not let anyone talk you into any "street games" for money, don't donate to any "organizations" that are soliciting on the street, and don't do into dimly lit areas late at night.

8 hours ago, Visigoth said:

Cafe Du Monde is a little over a half mile walk from your hotel and Acme Oyster House is just around the block from your front entrance.  It is a very safe walking area and you will not encounter any obnoxious drunks during the day.   You hotel is located on Royal Street and is filled with a mix of art galleries, antique stores, and high-end shops.  It also a wonderful place to encounter street entertainers and musicians.  Like the song says "you don't need penny just to hang around, but if you got a nickel won't you lay your money down?"  Cafe Beignet is located on Royal about two blocks north of the Wyndam.  I don't want to start an argument but their Beignets are every bit as good as Cafe Du Monde and the line is much shorter.   If you do decide to go to Cafe Du Monde you can walk through Jackson Square and also visit the French Market.  Trust me when I tell you that New Orleans is the best port on your cruise itinerary.  I would make dozens of suggestions but you only have one day so see what you can. We will be taking the same cruise a week before you and and even though we have been there dozens of times before we will be coming to NOLA 4 days early to enjoy the town.  My only security warning is do not let anyone talk you into any "street games" for money, don't donate to any "organizations" that are soliciting on the street, and don't do into dimly lit areas late at night.

Visigoth - this is so helpful and we intend to follow your advice.  It sounds like the Wyndam is in a great location and we may try both Cafe Du Monde and Cafe Beignet.  One for dessert and the other for breakfast before our cruise.   I will be back in New Orleans in June on a business trip- I hope to bring the family and stay a couple days after the conference to enjoy the town.  Thank you again for such a thoughtful and informative post - truly appreciated.

Edited by llcruisers