Who is comparable to Oceania ?

jodorro

We cruised with Tauck river 3 years ago and will second the opinion that their level of service and care is superb.  They also have a reputation for handling problems in a very satisfy-the-customer way without worrying about cost.  That is particularly important in river cruises, where water issues can frequently arise.  Read some of the posts about how different lines, including Tauck, have handled these issues on past trips.  Tauck is completely all inclusive, to the point where they give you cash for a scheduled lunch on your own in town, and pay for the restroom stops on tours.  They are not cheap, comparable to Crystal, but I would recommend them without reservation.  Just remember river cruises, and river ships, are a completely different animal from ocean cruising.  Smaller, way more intimate, and, of course, port intensive.  We liked that aspect, but some do not.  You won't know until you try it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A big question is what your mother’s health like for a person in her 80’s.  At many ports, there can be many steps just to get up to the street level, and in some, it’s can be an unpaved path.  Then there’s the whole issue of having to walk across other boats that are roped together in the river and you will have to traverse the other boats to get on shore.  Finally, there’s the whole river level issue.  If the river is too low or too high, you’ll have your trip turned into a bus tour rather than a river cruise.  

I can’t thank you all enough for taking the time to share your experiences & advice.

i went through all your comments with my mum and we’ve decided to stick with 

what she loves and knows - Oceania !.  Although her health is pretty good, she gets tired easily and even small things can be hard to deal with when you are elderly. I think it’s just wonderful at 86 that she still has a desire to travel to Europe.

We’ve decided on a 24 day cruise which covers Norway and then across to Estonia ,

St Petersburg.

happy cruising everyone !

cheers

jo 

I have been on two Tauck River cruises and have another booked. I echo SandJCruiser’s comments about Tauck. They are top of the line. They know how to treat you and treat you well. Their river cruises are all inclusive. No options are sold on board. The only extra would be things like laundry or an item in the gift shop. 

The ships are beautiful and the cabins are lovely. The largest suites are 300 sq feet. The next level down are 250 sq. Feet. So they are comfortable and spacious.

food is good and they are very careful about catering to dietary needs.

we have been more than pleased with them.

Terri