Double/Triple Denali/Yukon Info

propwash

So if I follow this thread correctly, if you do a Triple Denali from Fairbanks you get not only the Tundra Tour BUT also a river ride and gold dredge. If you start in Anchorage for the Triple you ONLY get the Tundra tour but have options for paid excursions. Is this right?????. We're thinking to do the land 1st because of smoother sailing going South. I see people have said you get detailed information when you get your travel info, but that might be too late to make decisions.

THANKS for the help

Danny

2 hours ago, propwash said:

So if I follow this thread correctly, if you do a Triple Denali from Fairbanks you get not only the Tundra Tour BUT also a river ride and gold dredge. If you start in Anchorage for the Triple you ONLY get the Tundra tour but have options for paid excursions. Is this right?????. We're thinking to do the land 1st because of smoother sailing going South. I see people have said you get detailed information when you get your travel info, but that might be too late to make decisions.

THANKS for the help

Danny

Yes, that is correct. But to do the Triple Denali and Fairbanks there is an extra day required, and so the fare is higher. If you only want a Double Denali from Fairbanks the fare is similar to Anchorage plus Triple Denali. The airfare to Fairbanks may also be more, but not sure.

We are doing the land first, so we can rest after, on the cruise. We have sailed to and from Seward before and I don't think there is a difference in sea smoothness going south vs. north unless there is some sort of storm that comes up, which could also happen going north.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PSR said:

Yes, that is correct. But to do the Triple Denali and Fairbanks there is an extra day required, and so the fare is higher. If you only want a Double Denali from Fairbanks the fare is similar to Anchorage plus Triple Denali. The airfare to Fairbanks may also be more, but not sure.

We are doing the land first, so we can rest after, on the cruise. We have sailed to and from Seward before and I don't think there is a difference in sea smoothness going south vs. north unless there is some sort of storm that comes up, which could also happen going north.

Thank you for the reply. My reason for sailing South is back in 2002 we did the inland passage and when we came out to go to Hubbard Glacier, we had 18 foot swells and the ship was pitching badly on the return trip going South the same swells were A LOT smoother. It has to do with going against the current.

Danny

16 hours ago, propwash said:

THANKS for the help

Danny

I think you will get the Tundra Wilderness Tour at Denali, but probably not the river boat trip and gold dredge in Fairbanks. We were on the Alaska-Yukon trip, so got to Fairbanks a lunch time, which left enough time for the boat and dredge before going to our hotel. HAL may schedule you for the boat and dredge in them morning, then bus to Denali in the afternoon. Because we did Alaska before the Yukon, we got the dredge in Fairbanks and the riverboat in Dawson. If you go the other direction, you get both the riverboat and dredge in Fairbanks. It evens out.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:12 AM, propwash said:

THANKS for the help

Danny

We started in Fairbanks and had the riverboat (it was awful) but not the gold dredge.  Different tours offer different iteniraries.  

21 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

What was awful about the riverboat?  I think we'll have that too.

Just kind of hokey and a slow paced sales pitch.  The little island was nicely done but otherwise it was just too much like being on a bus trip that one might see advertised for seniors in their local newspaper. 

Edited by alwaysfrantic

On 11/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, Cruising-along said:

What was awful about the riverboat?  I think we'll have that too.

I can’t figure out what was awful about the riverboat.  There are two riverboat experiences.  In Dawson City you sail on the paddlewheel Klondike Spirit.  Keep your eyes open.  From the riverboat we actually watched a moose swim across the Yukon river in front of us from bank to bank.   Surprised our guide.  She lived in Dawson and she couldn’t believe it!  We have pictures to prove it was a moose. 

The Fairbanks experience is a big tourist attraction and will probably be crowded.  You will see a sled dog demo,  a demo of native life in Alaska, watch a float plane take off and land, and see some local homes along the river. Look up online the Riverboat Discovery attraction in Fairbanks.  Someone will give you a sample of smoked salmon as I recall and you can purchase it.  A lunch is included.  I have done these activities a number of times through the years and there have been changes.  It may be a miners lunch served at long tables...stew, biscuits, etc.  Pretty good food.

Enjoy your adventure.  Everyone has a unique experience.   Alaska and the Yukon is a great cruisetour....take advantage of all that is offered.  Parks Canada has some wonderful programs in Dawson City.

The OP was asking about the Yukon experience and somehow the replies got off track, I think.  Just your basic Triple Denali does not go to Dawson.  HAL has groups going to lots of different places.  They do a really good job and you should have a wonderful vacation.

Edited by oaktreerb

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

The OP was asking about the Yukon experience and somehow the replies got off track, I think.  Just your basic Triple Denali does not go to Dawson.  HAL has groups going to lots of different places.  They do a really good job and you should have a wonderful vacation.

I heartily agree. The Dawson river boat only held our one busload, so it wasn't crowded (but it was noisy inside) . The trip was about 90 minutes, and we saw a lot.

One thing to remember: tours into the Yukon include a HAL Journey Host who meets you at the hotel the day you arrive, is with the group at all times (although their lodging is away from the hotel), and is on the bus when you're taken to the ship. Ours was exceptionally good at straightening things out (like baggage to the wrong room, ground floor rooms for those couldn't climb stairs, and lots of other things), which undoubtedly leads to the higher prices on those trips. We thought it was worth every minute and every penny (we spent our last four nights on Volendam).

Enjoy! 

On 11/22/2018 at 7:12 AM, alwaysfrantic said:

Just kind of hokey and a slow paced sales pitch.  The little island was nicely done but otherwise it was just too much like being on a bus trip that one might see advertised for seniors in their local newspaper. 

On 11/22/2018 at 12:16 PM, oaktreerb said:

I can’t figure out what was awful about the riverboat.  There are two riverboat experiences.  In Dawson City you sail on the paddlewheel Klondike Spirit.  Keep your eyes open.  From the riverboat we actually watched a moose swim across the Yukon river in front of us from bank to bank.   Surprised our guide.  She lived in Dawson and she couldn’t believe it!  We have pictures to prove it was a moose. 

The Fairbanks experience is a big tourist attraction and will probably be crowded.  You will see a sled dog demo,  a demo of native life in Alaska, watch a float plane take off and land, and see some local homes along the river. Look up online the Riverboat Discovery attraction in Fairbanks.  Someone will give you a sample of smoked salmon as I recall and you can purchase it.  A lunch is included.  I have done these activities a number of times through the years and there have been changes.  It may be a miners lunch served at long tables...stew, biscuits, etc.  Pretty good food.

Enjoy your adventure.  Everyone has a unique experience.   Alaska and the Yukon is a great cruisetour....take advantage of all that is offered.  Parks Canada has some wonderful programs in Dawson City.

Thank you alwaysfrantic and oaktreerb.  I checked out the Riverboat Discovery on Trip Advisor, it has good reviews.  We're looking forward to everything.

• 2 months later...

I have a question regarding time on the Double Denali tour.  We arrive in Anchorage then the train to Denali for 2 days.  I am 'assuming' the TWT is day 2 since that is really the only day we are there for a full day.  On our arrival day in Denali, what amount of time are we facing trying to fit in other excursions.  To be more specific, my husband wants to do the golf excursion - I know he can golf at home - but he really wants to do this and the TWT, so he won't skip this.  The website states it is a 3.5 hour tour.  We are traveling in May.

Thanks.

When we went there on May 25 '17 (the first week the lodge was open that season), the train didn't arrive until after 3. I don't know if the weather played a part in the arrival time: we had rain and some snow en route, but only clouds when we got there.

Good luck! 

I'd like to hop back in here and ask another question of you helpful folks 🙂  

On our itinerary it says "transfer to hotel" when we arrive at the Fairbanks airport.  I've also heard of others saying they got a taxi -- which is it, does HAL transport us to the hotel or do we get a taxi?  We won't arrive until 9pm that night.  Thanks!

HAL may be able to provide a transfer to your hotel.  A couple of years ago, that cost $29 per person. For that amount, HAL had greeters and other staff there, tagged your luggage, and got you on buses to your hotel (but this was mid-afternoon). As first-time cruisers, we found it very convenient, but I suspect you may save a little if you get a cab. OTOH, with the transfer, your luggage gets delivered to the hallway outside your room. You should contact your TA or HAL. They may not offer the service that time of night. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I'd like to hop back in here and ask another question of you helpful folks 🙂  

On our itinerary it says "transfer to hotel" when we arrive at the Fairbanks airport.  I've also heard of others saying they got a taxi -- which is it, does HAL transport us to the hotel or do we get a taxi?  We won't arrive until 9pm that night.  Thanks!

Carolyn, do you have the hotel through HAL?  IF so, the transfer is generally included in the hotel package.  It then shows up on your itinerary as transfer to hotel.

14 minutes ago, dfish said:

Carolyn, do you have the hotel through HAL?  IF so, the transfer is generally included in the hotel package.  It then shows up on your itinerary as transfer to hotel.

Yes, everything is through HAL, it's the Triple Denali Land/Sea.  I see that it shows a transfer from the train to Anchorage hotel after our land tour too, so I'm inclined to think they're taking care of everything.  🙂  

8 hours ago, iheartminniemouse said:

I have a question regarding time on the Double Denali tour.  We arrive in Anchorage then the train to Denali for 2 days.  I am 'assuming' the TWT is day 2 since that is really the only day we are there for a full day.  On our arrival day in Denali, what amount of time are we facing trying to fit in other excursions.  To be more specific, my husband wants to do the golf excursion - I know he can golf at home - but he really wants to do this and the TWT, so he won't skip this.  The website states it is a 3.5 hour tour.  We are traveling in May.

Thanks.

My itinerary for a Triple Denali (but it's in August this year) says we leave Anchorage at 9:15am and get to Denali at 4:40pm. They do have excursions we can choose as late as 7-9pm, I think, but I think the sun is up longer in August than May. If the golf trip is listed as available for your specific cruise/tour (if you look at Shorex via your booking number) I would think it would considered available for you to pick.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes, everything is through HAL, it's the Triple Denali Land/Sea.  I see that it shows a transfer from the train to Anchorage hotel after our land tour too, so I'm inclined to think they're taking care of everything.  🙂  

Then, yes, it is included.  

• Like 1