Time frame for booking tours

Lorain1

I was wondering how long in advance to book a tour with Old Cars Havana to be able to get the vintage car we want. We will be on a cruise in March 2019 and I noticed on the Carnival website that their tour in a vintage car was already sold out. Started thinking maybe we just book in the near future. Thank you

On 10/30/2018 at 10:19 AM, Lorain1 said:

I was wondering how long in advance to book a tour with Old Cars Havana to be able to get the vintage car we want. We will be on a cruise in March 2019 and I noticed on the Carnival website that their tour in a vintage car was already sold out. Started thinking maybe we just book in the near future. Thank you

Per Havana Memories best to book ASAP if you want a convertible.  If it is a regular hard top Classic Car it is not as urgent.  However if you want a specific well reviewed guide from a popular vendor it is still best to book as early as possible before someone else books him or her.

For example, Angel from FerTours https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147271-d7986028-r571466120-Fertours_2_Havana-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html as reviewed in the recent CC post: 

Or Duramis from Havana Memories who we are booked with https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147271-d6132524-r499795710-Havana_Memories-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

These are only 2.  For Havana there are MANY excellent tour companies with very well reviewed guides.  Do a search on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor and check out the reviews.  

I think it also important to go with a tour company who communicates well and is willing to accommodate any special needs you have (e.g. extended hours, shifting start time etc.).  These are the reasons why we went with Havana Memories.

Laurence

Thank you for your reply. We do have a specific convertible in mind for our tour - I had not thought to request a particular tour guide because I wasn't sure if those requests are actually honored but I think I will after reading your response.

9 hours ago, jagi2 said:

The cruise line is telling us we have to do ship excursions.  Are there private tours that will be approved if we want to book with them instead?

This is a very frequently asked question.  You can do a search on OFAC categories "People to People" or "Support the Cuban People" on Cruise Critic to find many good threads on the subject.  This is one of the best:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k11260185-Cruise_to_Cuba_shore_excursions_required-Cuba.html   There are over 300 replies.  Happy Reading!

Regarding "Are there private tours that will be approved" basically ALL tours from a private tour operator should qualfied for OFAC compliance since you are paying a local Cuban tour operator to Support the Cuban People.  You are not making financial transaction with a Cuban government entity. Tours from Hotel tour desks probably doesn't qualify since the hotel tour desks are likely owned by the Cuban government.

Some tour operators will give you an itinerary to help you with your documentation to satisfy "Support the Cuban People" category.  Below is what's in Tony Castillo's itinerary.   

OFAC Compliance:

• Support the Cuban People is one of the US government’s general licenses categories related to Cuba travel.  The above itineraries are fully compliant with Support the Cuban People: you will have “enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people's independence from Cuban authorities". For cruise passengers coming via US port, if you are taking private tours or going outside of the ship on your own you should be selecting the “Support for the Cuban people” category in the Affidavit for travel to Cuba.  You can use our itinerary above to help document your activities to comply with US regulations for traveling to Cuba.

You can just do your own itinerary and type in the same wording and bring it with you in case your cruise line give you a hassle about what category to check off on your OFAC paperwork when you board the ship.  Note that the paperwork is for the US government.  The Cuban government doesn't see it - they don't care.  It doesn't go with you on your cruise.  It will probably be file away somewhere an no one will ever see it again.

Edited by ebslcc