Booking 2nd room (for passenger already booked with existing room)

EGgal

We booked a spa balcony on the NCL Getaway that sleeps 3 and are wondering if it is possible to purchase a last minute sail away fare to have an extra room available (for more space, so we would sleep 2 in one room and 1 in another). My husband, brother and son are sharing and my husband is worried it will be too cramped and we are considering booking an additional room for my husband or brother. However, if I book him in a new room I don't want him to lose his free perks (including spa access). Has anyone experienced adding an additional room for an existing passenger? When I called NCL the person on the phone said I'd probably need to speak with a manager. 

3 minutes ago, NurseJEB said:

You can book an additional cabin but someone has to be booked at the primary gust in that cabin.  One passenger cannot be booked into two cabins.

Can they keep the spa access and other perks though?

10 hours ago, EGgal said:

Can they keep the spa access and other perks though?

I'm going to go with likely no.  You would have to have that persons name on both cabins to have the perks remain and NCL isn't likely to do that.

Best bet would be find a fourth person to go and book the second cabin under their name and then one of the original three can just sleep in there with that person...  If that person wants the spa access, they could just buy it separate.

I've stayed in a spa room on both Epic and Escape and they are decently sized when you consider the balcony space as well.  I wouldn't worry too much and I'd rather keep the spa room and the perks than risk losing spa access and perks.

Also, are you within the cancellation period now?  You have to take that into consideration as well if you are and see how much of your already paid amount you might risk forfeiting.

Have you thought about putting in a bid to upgrade to the Haven? I'm not sure if you'd keep your Spa perks, so you'd have to look into that, but with buying up or bidding, you can sometimes snag a suite for what an extra cabin would cost -- and you'd get the suite perks and Haven access to boot.

1 hour ago, dcipjr said:

Have you thought about putting in a bid to upgrade to the Haven? I'm not sure if you'd keep your Spa perks, so you'd have to look into that, but with buying up or bidding, you can sometimes snag a suite for what an extra cabin would cost -- and you'd get the suite perks and Haven access to boot.

The ONLY way you would keep your spa perks on an upgrade is if you upgraded to a Haven Spa room...  You WILL LOSE spa passes if you upgrade to anything else.

2 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

The ONLY way you would keep your spa perks on an upgrade is if you upgraded to a Haven Spa room...  You WILL LOSE spa passes if you upgrade to anything else.

OK, I figured as much. Still might not be a bad deal if they just want a secluded, quiet place to hang out. The Haven usually fits the bill for that. All depends on what they're after.

We are past full payment. Sometimes single passengers are cheaper (if they have the "Solo passenger discount"). The price right now is $858 for an inside room plus taxes so it ends up being around $994 including taxes. I have noticed the price drops substantially during the week before the cruise so if there are still rooms I may move him and just pay for the spa, and hopefully my son can keep the other perks. 

I considered the haven but the rooms with a living room that sleep 4 have king beds that cannot be separated and that won't work. Also we are not guaranteed of getting the upgrade for both of our rooms (I'm in a separate room with my mom and our other son). The minimum bids for upgrading to the 2 BR and other suites were too high since we have 2 cabins. 

1 minute ago, EGgal said:

We are past full payment. Sometimes single passengers are cheaper (if they have the "Solo passenger discount"). The price right now is $858 for an inside room plus taxes so it ends up being around $994 including taxes. I have noticed the price drops substantially during the week before the cruise so if there are still rooms I may move him and just pay for the spa, and hopefully my son can keep the other perks. 

I considered the haven but the rooms with a living room that sleep 4 have king beds that cannot be separated and that won't work. Also we are not guaranteed of getting the upgrade for both of our rooms (I'm in a separate room with my mom and our other son). The minimum bids for upgrading to the 2 BR and other suites were too high since we have 2 cabins. 

Keep in mind that if you book the other room, you have a cancellation fee of likely 100% on what you've already paid for the third person in the spa room.  That should factor in as well.

Just though of something else too... The kids, depending on age, may not even be allowed in the spa suite to begin with.  It's 18 and up only.

I had to do this once - had a haven 2 br but decided that 6 (grandparent, us and kids) could not fit comfortably. So I booked a mini suite for my daughter (minor) and I. I wanted to be able to keep haven perks so I remained in the haven and also was a primary in the second cabin since you cant put a minor alone (the reason why i also couldn't put my son in there with her). I had to pay for the mini but I was at a reduced rate in the haven. They charged me port charges on both cabins in the end despite that they had previously told me that they could only charge Port once b/c it's per PERSON and I'm only one person. It was worth it in the end, I think.

Edited by schildiams

5 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

Keep in mind that if you book the other room, you have a cancellation fee of likely 100% on what you've already paid for the third person in the spa room.  That should factor in as well.

Just though of something else too... The kids, depending on age, may not even be allowed in the spa suite to begin with.  It's 18 and up only.

No, you are correct, kids are not allowed to have spa access. I don't think we have to pay a cancellation fee since I have already paid the full fare because we are past the cancellation date. 

Just now, EGgal said:

No, you are correct, kids are not allowed to have spa access. I don't think we have to pay a cancellation fee since I have already paid the full fare because we are past the cancellation date. 

I’m more referring to the fact you won’t get a refund of anything since you’ve already paid in full. 

4 hours ago, schildiams said:

I had to do this once - had a haven 2 br but decided that 6 (grandparent, us and kids) could not fit comfortably. So I booked a mini suite for my daughter (minor) and I. I wanted to be able to keep haven perks so I remained in the haven and also was a primary in the second cabin since you cant put a minor alone (the reason why i also couldn't put my son in there with her). I had to pay for the mini but I was at a reduced rate in the haven. They charged me port charges on both cabins in the end despite that they had previously told me that they could only charge Port once b/c it's per PERSON and I'm only one person. It was worth it in the end, I think.

Thanks! This is super helpful. I wonder if you received special treatment because you were in the Haven though! I heard the Haven always gets what the Haven wants.

I will be keeping an eye on the prices to see if I can get another cabin for a reasonable price. I think I'd also end up paying the gratuity for the room service twice (since we already prepaid the first room, I'd be out that $ but I'm ok with that). 

15 hours ago, schildiams said:

I am thinking of doing the same thing. We are booked in family suite in the Dawn- 4 of us. I wanted the 2 Br but it was sold out. I was thinking of getting an inside room  for my mom on same deck as the suite. She is already booked in the suite with us and I have made final payment. I am not looking for a refund.  I want to keep her in the suite to get the perks but want to get a room for her to sleep in and which has another bathroom. She’s partially deaf so I want her to be able to report to same muster station as me and check in with me as well. If she’s booked in 2 rooms, will the crew know that when it comes to checking in, and muster station. If she comes with us, will they be looking for her at the other muster station for the inside room?

thank you

25 minutes ago, sryan said:

I am thinking of doing the same thing. We are booked in family suite in the Dawn- 4 of us. I wanted the 2 Br but it was sold out. I was thinking of getting an inside room  for my mom on same deck as the suite. She is already booked in the suite with us and I have made final payment. I am not looking for a refund.  I want to keep her in the suite to get the perks but want to get a room for her to sleep in and which has another bathroom. She’s partially deaf so I want her to be able to report to same muster station as me and check in with me as well. If she’s booked in 2 rooms, will the crew know that when it comes to checking in, and muster station. If she comes with us, will they be looking for her at the other muster station for the inside room?

thank you

I had to work with someone from NCL to make it happen - it wasn't a simple thing and I will tell you that checking in that day as a mess b/c they didn't have the correct room keys set (though they had said it would all be smooth) and my daughter and I were held back from almost an hour after the rest of the family boarded. For us it was so important bc if we were not all "in" the Haven room, we couldn't all eat in the Haven for breakfast and lunch and dinner if we chose to, and also couldn't hang out in the haven. If that hadn't been the case, I would have just moved without issue. At the time, there were no cancel fees for 3/4t passenger - and i dont think it would technically be a "cancel" anyway - just a change. I would call asap to see what they can do for you, esp given the muster station concern.

Edited by schildiams

12 hours ago, EGgal said:

Thanks! This is super helpful. I wonder if you received special treatment because you were in the Haven though! I heard the Haven always gets what the Haven wants.

I will be keeping an eye on the prices to see if I can get another cabin for a reasonable price. I think I'd also end up paying the gratuity for the room service twice (since we already prepaid the first room, I'd be out that $ but I'm ok with that). 

It might have been? Not sure. But they did say to pay service charges on the mini and not the haven, where i was a 3/4th guest, since i wasn't actually staying in the haven room. So two paid service fees on the mini room and four on the haven cabin, b/c that's how many actually stayed in each room.

22 minutes ago, schildiams said:

I had to work with someone from NCL to make it happen - it wasn't a simple thing and I will tell you that checking in that day as a mess b/c they didn't have the correct room keys set (though they had said it would all be smooth) and my daughter and I were held back from almost an hour after the rest of the family boarded. For us it was so important bc if we were not all "in" the Haven room, we couldn't all eat in the Haven for breakfast and lunch and dinner if we chose to, and also couldn't hang out in the haven. If that hadn't been the case, I would have just moved without issue. At the time, there were no cancel fees for 3/4t passenger - and i dont think it would technically be a "cancel" anyway - just a change. I would call asap to see what they can do for you, esp given the muster station concern.

Thank you. I am calling NCL now.

• Like 1