Social WiFi package - Carnival Splendor

dziehm

I may be a little slow, but I don't understand the social wifi plan in terms of both people in the cabin being able to use it at the same time - mostly for texting each other while on the ship. 

It's my understanding that, even though we have separate devices, only one of us can be using the plan at the same time. Which, if that's correct, seems pointless if we're trying to text each other from different areas of the ship. 

I know there's the internet hub thing at $5/pp for the duration of the cruise where we can text while on the ship (at the same time). So does it make sense then to buy the social wifi plan? 

Anyway - appreciate any clarification.

Thanks!

You are correct, under the Social internet plan, only one person can be logged into it at a time. You can both purchase it if you wish. You won’t be able to text through cellular service, though, but you can text through WhatsApp or through iMessage if using an iPhone (I have no idea if non-Apple phones can text through WiFi).

With the Hub app, you can send messages to other people with the Hub app. Provided you have both paid the $5 fee. Technically if you are only looking to messages to other people on the ship, this would be the cheaper option. 

Edited by bakersdozen12

15 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

You are correct, under the Social internet plan, only one person can be logged into it at a time. You can both purchase it if you wish. You won’t be able to text through cellular service, though, but you can text through WhatsApp or through iMessage if using an iPhone (I have no idea if non-Apple phones can text through WiFi).

With the Hub app, you can send messages to other people with the Hub app. Provided you have both paid the $5 fee. Technically if you are only looking to messages to other people on the ship, this would be the cheaper option. 

Wait what??? So I’m in a room with 3 other girls who’ve purchased the social package, if I want to have a conversation with them through WhatsApp, it won’t work cuz we’re all in the same stateroom?? Or if we all wanna check out social media, we have to take turns?? You’re joking or I’m definitely confused..

30 minutes ago, bosslaydee said:

Wait what??? So I’m in a room with 3 other girls who’ve purchased the social package, if I want to have a conversation with them through WhatsApp, it won’t work cuz we’re all in the same stateroom?? Or if we all wanna check out social media, we have to take turns?? You’re joking or I’m definitely confused..

If you have each purchased it then you all have your own plan and can use at same time to communicate. You just each have to buy it. If only ONE of you purchased it then you would need to share. Has nothing to do with being in the same stateroom.

Edited by Bookbug53

4 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

If you have each purchased it then you all have your own plan and can use at same time to communicate. You just each have to buy it. If only ONE of you purchased it then you would need to share. Has nothing to do with being in the same stateroom.

Oh okay, so if we purchase one we can share it but if we purchase our own it’s fine. Thank you

4 minutes ago, bosslaydee said:

Oh okay, so if we purchase one we can share it but if we purchase our own it’s fine. Thank you

If you purchase one, only one user at a time. One would log out and log into a different device, one at a time.

It quite literally means one person/device at a time. Last cruise I purchased the value plan. I would log in with my phone - text - check my work mail etc. I have a tablet that I take as well and when I logged in with my credentials it would log out my phone. The $5 chat option on the whats app is its own thing on the ships own internal network (I think) - it certainly replaces  the old walkie talkie method of family communication on ship. LOL

Kevin