VPN use on ship and in ports

STANCPA44

I am considering purchasing the Nord VPN for my iPad.  The company states that there is a 30% slow down in speed.   I am wondering since the ship internet is by satellite it may not be routed thru the VPN.   I am also concerned about the Caribbean ports.   I know that the VPN covers Mexico but what about the various ports.  

I would like input for these two situations.   

I  highly doubt that my iPad would be hacked on the ship but in pre stay hotel, airport and the various ports are a different story.

You can use a VPN on the ship. I'm not sure whether you need the top end package or if the mid range will do. Unless the internet hotspots in port have some sort of blocking restrictions, the country should not matter. You'll like connect via a VPN server in the US from most of the Caribbean, although you might route through a server in South America from the ABC islands. Most VPN companies allow you to pick your connecting server and your protocol. (Protocols are beyond the scope of a CC discussion, but there are a lot of good articles that tell you how to choose.) 

I use Keepgo with my IPad mini when travelling.   It does not work on the ship.  Data has one year expiry and expiration date extends for another year if you make another  purchase.  So far it has been good and has good World coverage.   Keepgo uses reputable providers.  Here in SF it uses TMobile.   If you are downloading videos and uploading lots of pictures it may not be the right fit.    Sample purchase is 3 gig with one year expiry for $85.

Edited by SFO PETER
added

When you connect to a HAL ship's internet, and run iplocation.net, you will see that you are connected to Carnival Corp. in Miami.   So, no matter where you are in the world,  your computer thinks it is in Miami.   If you attach to a VPN from there, your computer/tablet/phone will think it is in the state/country where your VPN is located.   I do IT work for a small resort in St. Maarten, and I have a VPN to there.   I have connected to it using the premium level of HAL's 3 tier internet.  I have not tried it with the other 2 levels.

We have the Nord VPN and used it this year (for a trip to Europe) on iPhones, iPad, laptop.  We bought the 3yrs/$99 plan.  It paid for itself by saving us a small fortune in not having to use Verizon TravelPass for a few weeks and using hotel Wifi instead.

Once you've downloaded the program, you can actually choose which country you want the internet traffic to be routed through.   So if you're in Mexico, or on the ship, wherever, you can choose any country you want, once you are connected to the Wifi.     Does not matter where you are.   The program has a drop-down menu of countries.  Only takes a few seconds.  You can practice at home, before you start your trip, like we did.

On our recent trip, I had to choose Slovenia a couple times because traffic was not heavy from there and getting connected in the country we actually were in was taking forever, sometimes not working.      We did not notice any real slowdown on our devices.  

Edited by Walfam

On 11/5/2018 at 3:26 AM, STANCPA44 said:

I am considering purchasing the Nord VPN for my iPad.  The company states that there is a 30% slow down in speed.   I am wondering since the ship internet is by satellite it may not be routed thru the VPN.   I am also concerned about the Caribbean ports.   I know that the VPN covers Mexico but what about the various ports.  

I would like input for these two situations.   

I  highly doubt that my iPad would be hacked on the ship but in pre stay hotel, airport and the various ports are a different story.

It seems from your questions you don't understand how VPNs work. 

I use Nord (switched from Astrill) and it works anywhere in the world. Whether you're connected to your ISP by: satellite, wi-fi, ADSL etc. (or any combination thereof) a VPN (should) make your IP address appear to be in any city/country the VPN has servers - you can choose. Right now, I'm in Vietnam... and every computer on the internet thinks I'm in England.

Edited by Bill B