RCL Stockholders - Non-Monetary Benefits

7 hours ago, Calif. Cruisers said:

Although I am happy with the increased value of my shares over time, I am disappointed with the onboard shareholder perk in relation to other stocks for cruise lines.  We have never benefited from the shareholder passenger perks because we always have some other OBC.  Other companies give you SOMETHING, and often combine other OBC.  Why, because almost everyone gets some sort of OBC or other promotion when booking.  The benefit of even having a shareholder perk should be that you get something above what every other person would get IMHO.  I don't know the solution, as RCL doesn't seem to think it is an issue.  After several tries at redeeming this, I think I am satisfied with the gains from my stock and will just sell it and move on.  I rather not have the stock rather than continue to be disappointed that there is really NO shareholder benefit that I will ever be able to take advantage of.

I guess I just don't understand the logic. To me, the benefit of owning stock in a company is to (hopefully) watch your investment grow over time and see the company succeed. Any other discounts or OBC or whatever is not the reason anyone should be investing in a company.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

The list is not all-inclusive, it merely cites examples.  Attached it because you cited Ford.  Had you read the Berkshire Hathaway section more closely you'd have seen that shareholders receive an 8% discount on their Geico policies. Not too shabby.  Personally own several other companies that offer some type of shareholder reward.    

Agree with op that first responsibility of any company is to ownership.  Nothing wrong with little percs to keep them happy.  Believe his suggestions are a bit unrealistic though.  Just wish the current shareholder benefit wasn't so restrictive as to be almost useless.  

Eh, you can get 15% just by calling geico.  Is Warren scalping 7%?