newbies

springtx249

For those times I'd recommend a tour to El Yunque rain forest. There are several but do your research first. Some take you to the main "tourist" part of the forest while others take a more " off the beaten path" approach. Scope out the different activities included and decide based on your preference. Once back in San Juan, walk the city and find one of the many restaurants and have a good, local dinner before returning to the ship. If you want to stay within Old San Juan, you have ample time to explore the forts, the shops and the restaurants. San Juan is hilly, but quite compact and easily walked. Not sure you'd have enough time for a Fajardo Bio Bay (bio-luminescent) tour, but you might want to check that out as well.

4 hours ago, springtx249 said:

The bio luminescent tour sounds amazing!  I checked the lunar calendar and it will be a full moon that week.  Should we skip the tour then?

Are you planning on going back to Puerto Rico?

If not, then you should go.  It's pretty amazing.  And there will likely be some clouds that block the moon- for the many times we've been to Puerto Rico- it's very rarely super clear.

I wouldn't do it during a full moon expecting to see any bioluminescence; I'd only do it if I would be happy with a short paddle or boat ride in the dark.  Even with the tarps, it's likely you won't see anything unless the dinoflagellates happen to be extremely numerous and active at the time. 

1 hour ago, pf778c said:

I wouldn't do it during a full moon expecting to see any bioluminescence; I'd only do it if I would be happy with a short paddle or boat ride in the dark.  Even with the tarps, it's likely you won't see anything unless the dinoflagellates happen to be extremely numerous and active at the time. 

I think you would- the 3 times (twice in Vieques, once near Guanica)  we've done it, when you jump into the water, it's pretty obvious they are there.  If you open your eyes (which does sting since it's salt water), you see a very bright light.  

And just splashing around it pretty amazing.  

I don't recall the weather, other than there being clouds- which would cover the moon well enough.

Heck, on one trip, someone slapped my back to activate them- which was weird.  But I had spots all over my body as I got out of the water- it was pretty cool.

Again, I'm not saying that going on a full moon will be the best- but it is better than never experiencing it in your life.

• 4 months later...

I suppose its not good either just after the full moon on the way to 3rd quarter moon?

Also, on Holland America we'd be going to Laguna Grande of Fajardo.  It says to wear a bathing suit under your clothes with a towel and insect repellant.  We are going in November 2019.  How bad are the insects and do you have to go into the water.  I was under the impression this was all kayaking and really don't like being in water in the dark.  DO you have to go in the water?  How do you get back into a kayak from the water.  We are in our 60s and I'm beginning to think I need to cancel this excursion.   I've always wanted to do it, but never in PR at night except for this time.  But I don't want to go swimming and I'm no sure about the moon phase or the insects.  Can anyone please respond to this?

On 3/27/2019 at 6:40 PM, HappiestWhenCruising said:

I suppose its not good either just after the full moon on the way to 3rd quarter moon?

Also, on Holland America we'd be going to Laguna Grande of Fajardo.  It says to wear a bathing suit under your clothes with a towel and insect repellant.  We are going in November 2019.  How bad are the insects and do you have to go into the water.  I was under the impression this was all kayaking and really don't like being in water in the dark.  DO you have to go in the water?  How do you get back into a kayak from the water.  We are in our 60s and I'm beginning to think I need to cancel this excursion.   I've always wanted to do it, but never in PR at night except for this time.  But I don't want to go swimming and I'm no sure about the moon phase or the insects.  Can anyone please respond to this?

I don't know about your tour, but hubby and I drove on our own back in 2015 and did a kayak tour.  The only time folks went into the water was when their kayaks tipped over (which happened a fair amount because it was very dark and there always seemed to be someone going the other direction).  You need the insect repellent before you get into the kayak and start paddling.  That's for sure.

It was a magical trip.  Nothing quite like getting out in the center of the lagoon and seeing the water light up with a flick of your paddle.  If I recall correctly, we actually weren't allowed to get out of the kayaks in the lagoon itself, so I don't think you'd have any problems if you didn't want to get in the water.  But our tour was nearly four years ago!