Car rental in St. Maarten

miss meow

Real easy to rent car here..... just my opinion but we booked ahead with Hertz... numerous posts on here about problems with local rental agencies and I do not like taking chances with my limited time on each island. I called 800 international number from their website and they were very helpful and helped me book cars on 3 islands.... car rental booths are right off the pier to the right and they had ours ready and waiting.... zip we were off in just a few minutes. We had a jeep wrangler 4wd soft top (we had the top off) and had a blast....even did some off roading looking for that perfect isolated beach. Found a few too !!!

texancruiser (Cheryl, I think) - I read one of your posts last month on the Mexian Riveria board about taking a car/van to Copala outside of Mazatlan and posted some followup questions for you. But you've not been back on that board since. So I thought I would try you on this board. Sorry everyone!

Need your help with what tour company you used and if you booked it ahead of time? The $35 per person rate you mentioned is the best I've seen. Just want to know how to get it as well. When were you there?

Thanks, Carol

Carol, sorry about that. I usually only check back a couple of times and then forget about it.... we were there Sept. 2004 (Labor Day week). Stayed at the Marina El Cid but took the tour from one of the sister resorts - the El Morro Tower- El Cid. It is located on the Zona Dorado (main tourist area) I went back to my file but we must have paid cash as I cannot find a receipt.... There is a small shopping mall located within the property and there is a large tour company office there. The bus picked us up right out front (brand new Mercedes touring bus - holds @ 30) all 10 of us....we were there in off season. OOOOOHHHH I just found the sticker that each of us got so they would know we were on that tour......

PRONATOURS - even better I just found the brochure. Called the "Country Tour" 6 hrs. Goes to Malpica, Copala, and Concordia. includes lunch and drinks. posted rate then was 420.00 pesos which worked out to @ 35.00 each.

www.elcid.com click on english. go to tours & activities and keep going until you get a drop down menu - copala country tour. It is being quoted in US$ now for $42.00 pp. HOWEVER LOOKS LIKE IT IS ONLY ON CERTAIN DAYS.... If this doesnt work for you they also have other tours... they are a good tour co. We also did the Deer Island Excursion (to snorkle). Very good lunch :D Good luck. We plan to go back someday.

texancruzer - Thanks for getting back! I checked the website and you're right - we will be there on a Monday, so the Copala countryside tour with them won't work.

We would prefer to take a shorter tour to the countryside (around four hours), but all the tours I'm finding are six hours and include lunch. I was hoping to find a tour where we could skip the lunch to save time.

Thanks again, Carol.

Archived