Amsterdam hotel location

V&P

For those of you who have spent time in Amsterdam-if your choice was to either stay at the W in city center or Elements (Marriott/Starwood) near the convention center-which would you choose? I have read that the W can be noisy at night but has a great location, while Elements is 2.5 mi from city center but the rooms all have kitchenettes & a lovely breakfast buffet is included. Decisions/decisions-opinions appreciated!

14 hours ago, Ine said:

May I give a 3rd option, also check the Bank Mansion Hotel.

We've narrowed our choices for next August to Banks Mansion, Hotel JL No. 76, and (because of points) the Hilton and Marriott.  On this, our 4th trip to Amsterdam, our focus during our 2 or 3 days will probably be the 3 museums on the Museum Plain, the Jewish (4 synagogues) museum, and a canal boat trip, since we've done Dam Square and the Anne Frank House pretty thoroughly and don't want to go near the red light district .  We've basically eliminated the Hilton because it seems too inconvenient for what we want to do.  Do you have thoughts on the locations of the other 3 hotels?  Thanks.  Joe

Indeed Hilton is also outside centre of town, unless you choose for the doubletree by Hilton which is very close to Centraal Station. Hotel JL 76 is closest to Museumplein and the museas, in a nice area but a little bit outside the centre too, but walable to places like Leidseplein etc.

Mariott is near Leidseplein also close to city centre. However in location I think Banks Mansion might be the nicest. Of course all of the hotels are very good.

6 hours ago, texasstar said:

Ine,  I checked the Banks Mansion and they require a 3 night stay in Sept. 2019.  Is the Kimpton in a good location?

Thanks for your input.

Kimpton is not too far from Dam square and Centraal Station,so also rather central but is in on a busy street. However I am sure the hotel has rooms that are away from the street noise.

September is a very busy month in Amsterdam with some large conventions which makes it sometimes difficutl to find a good hotel.