Medicare coverage??

jayzee

My father wants to take a cruise, but he said that Medicare won't cover any expenses if he should get ill while on a cruise. He does have a supplemental coverage and he is looking into that. My question is, has anyone ever bought a vacation insurance plan? I think the cruise ships sell you medical insurance for your vacation for a price and I am wondering how pricey and how good it is?

Thanks,

Jennifer

My father wants to take a cruise, but he said that Medicare won't cover any expenses if he should get ill while on a cruise. He does have a supplemental coverage and he is looking into that. My question is, has anyone ever bought a vacation insurance plan? I think the cruise ships sell you medical insurance for your vacation for a price and I am wondering how pricey and how good it is?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Medicare does not cover expenses incurred out of the country. As soon as you step on a cruise ship you are considered to be in the country of the ship's registry.

The cruiseline insurance is not the best coverage. There are many very good travel insurance policies available that cover much more than medical. Here is a link that will compare many policies for you.

Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com

We personally like Travelex TravelLite. It is primary--they pay without you having to submit your bills to any other insurance that might possibly cover any of your expenses.,,such as Homeowners insurance for lost bags. And they are reasonably priced. Price is usually dependant on cost of trip and age of insured.

You never know what kind of situations you might find yourself in when you travel and it is prudent to have insurance, especially if you are older.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Oh My EVERYONE needs travel insurance and not from the cruiseline try Travelguard or insuremytrip.com and you need to get the insurance within a certain number of days of booking your cruise in order for anyones pre-existing conditions to be covered. People who are healthy don't think they need it, THEY DO. if someone at home is injured or dies, if you fall down the stairs on the ship and need to be evacuated it can be over 100K for that alone.

Everyone needs the insurance.

My father ...said that Medicare won't cover any expenses if he should get ill while on a cruise. My question is, has anyone ever bought a vacation insurance plan?

This a 75% of the reason I decided to purchase travel insurance this time. I covers $50,000 in medical and emergency evacuation.

You are on Foriegn soil when you are on a cruise ship.

Make sure to purchase withing a day or two of making your reservation... then pre-existing conditions are covered.

Folks seem to like to visit insuremytrip.com

I selected Travelx as it is primary healthcare... that is, it covers the 1st $50K before I would have to use my healthplan

Jayzee, if you are on a Princess cruise, do look into their insurance. At InsureMyTrip.com, you can compare travel insurance coverage and expense. All of those insurance companies charge by age............the older one is, the more expensive the insurance is. With Princess insurance, they charge by the cost of the cruise, not the age of the insured. When my mother was 86, and I shopped for her insurance, Princess was by far, the least expensive for the most coverage. If your father has medical issues, it may be better to book at Insure my trip, if you can book within 10-14 days of booking your cruise, as that will cover all preexisting conditions. Princess has a 60 or 90 day exclusion for pre-existing conditions. My Mom had no preexisting conditions so that wasn't a consideration.

Have a great cruise....................and yes, we just consider insurance as part of our cruise cost..........would hate to be without it, especially out of the country.

:) Thanks very much for all the information! I will pass it on to my Dad. He is 72 and very healthy, but just in case. He does have diverticulitis, but it sounds like as long as he either gets the insurance within a day or two of booking, or doesn't have a problem with it for 90 days prior, he should be in good shape?

Again, Thanks!

Jennifer

Archived