Maho Beach How long?

KruznKel

Do you need to get back to the ship 30 minutes before departure? There are several points for your consideration. Depending on the time of the year, the sun sets around 6 p.m. Once the sun is set, the beach and the parking lot are pitch dark. Most people leave the beach around 5. Philipsburg traffic gets very busy after 4. The Simpson draw bridge opens at 4:30 and 5:30, that will add more problems to the traffic jam. With all these considerations, I would leave the beach before 5:15 to beat the darw bridge.

we were there 3 weeks ago (boo hoo). we went to divi little bay in the morning (gorgeous) and we had the same taxi driver take us to maho. we got there around 12:30 and ate lunch at the sunset bar and grill. we left at 3:30. in those 3 hours we saw numerous small planes, numerous private jets and only 1 american airlines jumbo. it was worth it. what an experience.

we went to divi little bay in the morning (gorgeous)

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but wondering if you can tell me all about your morning at Divi? Was it crowded? Were you allowed to use the pool? How much were chairs/umbrellas? Any other details would be very helpful! Oh, and would you do it again and any words of advice! Thanks!

Thanks for the replys.. So I am assuming if we leave the beach between 4-5pm we should have no problems getting back to the ship before 630pm. Do not want to be stuck in St. Martin.. now not that that would be a bad thing :D

Can't wait to see the planes.. and have some fun at the Sunset Beach Bar. :)

How much was your cab ride.. I have noticed some saying to take the bus.. which is better?

because of these posts and being as obsessed as i am (with cruising and nothing else, ask my husband!)....i poured and popured over these boards for months. i know that there are a million choices in st. martaan but for me and my family this was the best day (of many because i chose other amazing things to do in barbados and antigua).

we got off the ship by 9:30 (did i mention that there were 8 of us? 4 adults and 4 teens)....hired a van immediately for the day. his name was joe and his van was kelly green. he charged us 30.00 a head to take us first to divi and then to pick us up there at 12:30 drive us to maho and come back at 3:30 to take us back to the ship. since we didn't pay till the end...we knew he'd be back.

divi........when you arrive you see the hotel (this place is a resort). there are shops and cafes before you even see the beach. we just walked on the beach and a guy approached us and told us that each chair and umbrella would cost 5.00 each. within 10 minutes...the cruise excursion showed up and we had already picked the best spots on the beach!!!

the water is spectacular, it was warm and very clean. we rented jet skiis and snorkel equipment. we walked over to the pool which was empty and there wasn't anyone there from the hotel. because the beach was so nice we didn't have the urge to use it. i've read on these boards that "you're not allowed". if you don't mind a slap on the rest......i say if it's empty...GO FOR IT!!!

there were places to eat but we saved our appetite for maho. joe was there at 12:30 drove us to maho we ate and saw the most awesome plane show!!! i am soooo jealous because this was an awesome cruise.

in antigua we got a day pass for pineapple beach.....the best value and amazing place

in barbados we went on the silvermoon catamaran.... just think lifestyles of the rich and famous!!!!

i wish i could figure ut how to put my photos online. first of all if you don't necessarily like planes or airports this isn't for you. even though the beach was nicer than i expected....you wouldn't go here for the beach. but the experience of being on the beach and HAVING THE PLANES FLY RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD.....is awesome

it took us under 1/2 hour to get back to the pier but let me preface this by saying there was only 1 other ship in port that day so i suspect traffic was light. try to get back before "rush hour". we left 3:30 and got back with plenty of time.

Ok thanks.. seeing our time to leave is 7pm.. I think leaving between 4-5pm will give us plenty of time!! Can't wait..:D

This picture was from several years ago as Air France now flies AirBus to Sint Maarten.

af747.jpg

Picture was taken from Sun Set Beach Bar end

aa.jpg

Hurricane Lenny removed the sand (1999).

corsair1999.jpg

Mother nature put the sand back.

corsair.jpg

My wife and I go to St. Maarten every winter. The sunset beach bar is our favourite hangout. Since we have been there several times we are quite comfortable taking the bus. It is $1-$1.50 to go from Maho to Philipsburg. The first year we went we took taxis cause we didn't know about the bus system. It will cost around $25-$30 for a taxi between the two areas. I would take a bus everytime. The locals are friendly and St. Maarten is quite safe, especially during the day. Leave around 4 p.m. and you will be fine. It's our favourite Caribbean island.

Archived