Time from Bangkok Port to Bangkok Airport

FLTXKS

Will be on the June 30 sailing of the Pacific Princess out of Beijing. We are due to disembark at Bangkok on July 16. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get from the ship's dock to the Bangkok airport? We are flying domestic on Thai Airways from Bangkok to Phuket and want to know how early a flight we can book. The ship docks at 7:00 a.m., but I'm sure it will take a while to get cleared and disembark. Can anyone give me some suggestions? my email is fltxks@aol.com

Will be on the June 30 sailing of the Pacific Princess out of Beijing. We are due to disembark at Bangkok on July 16. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get from the ship's dock to the Bangkok airport? We are flying domestic on Thai Airways from Bangkok to Phuket and want to know how early a flight we can book. The ship docks at 7:00 a.m., but I'm sure it will take a while to get cleared and disembark. Can anyone give me some suggestions? my email is fltxks@aol.com

At least two-three hours after disembarkation. Traffic is horrendous in Bangkok. I would suggest something around 4-5PM for a flight time.

Did you use the Princess Ship tranfer (I'm assuming a bus) to the Bangkok airport? The ship docks at 7:00 a.m. What time were you able to get off the ship? We were looking at a 2:00 p.m. flight from Bangkok to Phuket. Is this reasonable? I'd like to get as much time in Phuket as possible. Appreciate your help!

Did you use the Princess Ship tranfer (I'm assuming a bus) to the Bangkok airport? The ship docks at 7:00 a.m. What time were you able to get off the ship? We were looking at a 2:00 p.m. flight from Bangkok to Phuket. Is this reasonable? I'd like to get as much time in Phuket as possible. Appreciate your help!

I have never used the Princess transfers. In fact, I have never been on a cruise through Bangkok. Booked three times and due to SARS, change of itinerary, and the Chinese government, all three cruises were cancelled.

However, I am in the global logistics business. We do a LOT of SE Asia freight out of the Bangkok port. The drive is only about 130KM (about 80 miles), BUT. The traffic can be horrendous. Sometimes you are lucky to be doing 30MPH.

Ship clearance depends on soooo many things. People who don't get to immigration or pay their cabin charges are the biggest problem. Just got off the QE2 and when we arrived in NYC, it was 1 1/2 hours AFTER scheduled disembarkation that the ship was finally cleared. FOUR cabins had NOT reported to immigration and until they sent the search party to find them (even after several announcements), NO one left the ship. Lots of PO'd people, considering the ship was only in port for 7 hours.

Here is just one of many transfers available. There are many. Just do a Google search and you will probably come up with 30-40. Our company has used this company and found them reliable.

http://aaathai.net/rentals_rates/laem_bkk.htm

As far as getting to Phuket-there are many airlines that fly there. I personally like Bangkok Air. New planes, great service, online booking. I pulled up the flights on your date. I think the 5:00PM would be just about perfect. See below.

http://booking.bangkokair.com/birts/en/fastbook.aspx

Air Asia also flies BKK to Phuket. I have never flown them, but know people who have and they have not been displeased with the experience. There is a flight that leaves at almost 4:00PM. http://www.airasia.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi

The Asian airlines are pretty strict about check-in. If you want to take the 2:00PM Thai Airways, that would mean you would need to be at the airport no later than 12:30. Means you would have to be off the ship no later than 9-9:30AM. That may NOT be doable.

These might help.

Be aware that theres a replacement Int airport under construction which is actually nearer Laem Chabang as its situated south and east of the city. The original airport is north of the city making for a longer trip from Laem Chabang. I have no idea when the "new" one will open, or if its to be a "phased" transition over a period of time or not, but you should probably check the actual name of "Bangkok Int. Airport" to make sure you get to the right one.

These might help:

http://www.airportthai.co.th/airportnew/bia/html/gen_info1.html

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/bangkok/

We did the Beijing -Bangkok cruise on the Diamond Princess in Oct 2005. We were due to disembark at 7am, but didnt get off the ship till 11.30am. It was raining & the trip by car from the port to our Bangkok Hotel was over 2 1/2 hours.(the traffic is horrendous). Then on our departure from bangkok, our taxi took another 1 1/2 hours. I would allow plenty of time between the port & airport & would also check with Purser at disembarking to see if you could be one of the first off (let them know you have a plane to catch!!!)

Tanya

Archived