Where to leave laptop

SPARKY12

We've taken our laptop on 3 RCI cruises, 1 Norwegian Coastal Voyages trip with 12 nights on the ship and 4 nights in hotels and just returned from a GCT Christmasmarket river cruise with 7 nights on the river and 3 nights in a hotel. We just leave the laptop on the desk in the room or cabin. So far, nobody's ever touched it.

On 23 total cruises , we've never had anything stolen.

I just put it in my luggage to get it out of sight. I am more concerned about passengers passing an open door than I am of the Room Steward. My brother and I have taken ours on most of our cruises and never have had a problem. It won't fit in the room's safe.

We have a cable lock on ours. While the laptop won't fit into the safe, it fits quite nicely on top of the safe. The cable lock then gets locked around the rod in the closet. (Our safe was in close proximity/in the closet)

Much like someone above said, it's not the steward I'm concerned with, it's passerby..many times the steward is addressing more than one room at a time...and doors are left open while they step away to get something from a storage unit further down the hall or somewhere else...

And as far as "leaving it home", that's not an option...my husband is a photography fanatic...I think his camera case is bigger than my cosmetics case...between the lenses, and all the doodads..on our November cruise in one of the ports he took about 1000 pictures just in that one port...so we bring the laptop in order to "dump" the pictures off the flash cards. The nice thing is that we traveled with 2 other couples-they were going home after the cruise, and we were staying in Florida...we were able to burn them CD's of ALL the pictures so they had them when they got home, rather than waiting for us to come home and email them.

The laptop is definitely not for work as we are both retired. It's to upload the pictures from both our digital cameras, write a daily review of the cruise and for games.

My brother and I take ours to download our pictures. He downloads my photos and I also download his so we have backups.

Both of us have bought a "traveler", a second computers, that if it gets lost, broken or stolen, it won't be a big loss. Since we take thousands of pictures, 100 to 200 a day, it is good to have a laptop to download them to each night.

A lot of airports also have wireless internet now too. I would have liked to have had a laptop during the long layovers.

My grandma brought her video camera and we just put it inside the closet by the safe. Same with the digital camera when we didn't have it with us.

What would most of you do with a laptop or portable dvd player when out of your room? Leave it with the luggage? Lock it up in the ship's safe keeping area?

I just put it in the desk drawer for easy access. I have never had a problem with it nor worried about it. It is convenient to have everything right at hand. :)

Archived