Change of time in port

JoyAnna

Recently found out that our ship will be staying overnight in Havana.  Any recommendations on things to do?  We have a tour scheduled for the day, but have no idea what to do in the evening.  I don't want to just hang out on the ship.  We are not major party people and can't do long walks. 

How safe are taxis?

Hello! I read your full review (beautiful website) which was great- thank you for sharing! I was wondering specifically about the cabaret show at the hotel nacional.

- Since we are cruising to Cuba, do you think we will have trouble purchasing tickets the night of?

- Do you know if it is possible to purchase in advance?

- Did you eat dinner and then see the show?

- Do you leave a tip for the drinks? How much?

I heard taxis are inexpensive, so I am trying to determine how much money to exchange. We will be there all afternoon/evening, but will have booked a private tour and paid for before we arrive. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 3:46 PM, dd&mark said:

Hello! I read your full review (beautiful website) which was great- thank you for sharing! I was wondering specifically about the cabaret show at the hotel nacional.

- Since we are cruising to Cuba, do you think we will have trouble purchasing tickets the night of?

- Do you know if it is possible to purchase in advance?

- Did you eat dinner and then see the show?

- Do you leave a tip for the drinks? How much?

I heard taxis are inexpensive, so I am trying to determine how much money to exchange. We will be there all afternoon/evening, but will have booked a private tour and paid for before we arrive. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Gosh - so sorry - just saw this!!! Thank you for all your compliments!

1. You will not have trouble purchasing tickets the day of. Go there first though, just to make sure! 

2. I recommend purchasing in advance on the hotel website. I posted link within my review. 

3. We are dinner first at hotel grounds. Then the show. 

4. A couple bucks for drink tips. 10% is customary in Cuba. 

5. Taxi back to hotel for show, should be no more than 10 CUC each way. 

Have fun!!!

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, HOSKI said:

Wow very interesting.  It sounds like food is super cheap there.  What about shopping?  We are cruising there and would like to bring back some items to remember our trip. 

Food is not cheap everywhere, especially at the restaurants the tour guides take you to.  If you're on an independent tour, they are happy to take you anywhere, but if you don't have a place in mind, don't be surprised when you wind up at a restaurant that will cost you $50 or more for two lunches.  I suggest using Trip Advisor to find your own spot prior to travel.  For example, I found a place called Dos Pelotas near the head of the Malecon which has great reviews and meals under $10 pp.

The only souvenir we purchased was a tile from Fusterlandia for about $30.  We did not see the typical tourist shops for souvenirs like you would find on most Caribbean islands.

We are actually doing the free food tour and they said it should cost us about $12 per person and that would be 5 stops so we will probably good for food.  I would like to buy a bottle of rum and some other gifts to bring home though.