Opinions About QM2 Itinerary

sfvoyager

I am excited about the ship, but not so sure how excited I am about this itinerary. Can I have your opinions about this?

Here is the itinerary:

South Hampton

Vigo, Spain

Barcelona

Cannes

Florence

Rome

Gibraltar

Lisbon

This is with four sea days.

Am I wrong thinking itineraries with Greek Isles, Venice and Istanbul is more appealing?

Also, this would be in October.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

It's a lovely itinerary! They are all spectacular places and extremely interesting - full of history and things to see. From Vigo, I would suggest that you do the trip to Santiago and see the Cathedral. It's truly fascinating. Barcelona is beautiful and you can wander as you wish; the same with Cannes - ideal to explore the south of France.Florence & Rome speak for themselves. Gibraltar is a marvellous little place - walkable if you like walking and you can take a trip up the rock and look over to Africa. Visit the cemetery where Nelson's men are buried and there are tiny, tiny churches to see. It's full of British history. It's also good for shopping and spending.....

October isn't the hottest time for cruising and it's not the busiest either. I think this is a very good choice.

Marge M

Thank you for the response. You definitely made the voyage sound that much more interesting. One error I made is the date- it actually is in September. Is that still a good time to travel? Will there be less families on board?

Hi again,

September is a very good time to travel - not the scorching heat of July & August but still hot enough to get into the pool and enjoy the sun. The schools in Europe go back at the end of August/beginning of September so there should certainly be fewer children on board although I'm sure there will still be some. The experience of leaving Southampton on the QM2 with the band playing and people waving you off is an experience not to be missed. We've done it several times with P & O . The port is well organised and easy to get to from London.

Marge M

• 3 weeks later...
I am excited about the ship, but not so sure how excited I am about this itinerary. Can I have your opinions about this?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The itinerary is great! Are all these new ports for you? I don't want to dwell on what to do on the obvious ones (like Rome) but I would like to second Morgans advice regarding Santiago ( via Vigo). I have been to Santiago de Compostela twice, spending a total of 8 days there. It is one of the jewels in Spain, mainly for its impressive Cathedral but also for the town itself. It'll probably be an all day excursion but don't be deterred by that. It's a very walkable city( actually most of the historic center is pedestrian) and has beautiful architecture.

• 4 months later...

Archived