Question: Miami Airport 6 hour stop over

dmb707

after reading the seabourn boards for a couple of years i have finally worked out how to post questions and reply to questions (at least i hope i have!!) thank you for all the info that i have been able to gain as well

i am going on the seabourn legend 9th April - 23rd April and will be flying into miami on saturday 8th and was wondering if anyone would have any ideas of what we could do during the 6 hour stop over prior to flying down to st thomas at 18.10? apart from sitting in the lounge!

any info would be gratefully received as i have no idea of distances etc from miami airport to say miami

many thanks

deb

Take a taxi to Lincoln Road in the South Beach area of Miami Beach--many nice shops, restaurants, interesting people, etc. The Ritz Carlton South Beach Hotel is a good starting point and is located right at the beach and Lincoln Road. You can return to the hotel to catch a taxi back to the airport. Allow plenty of time on your return for clearing security at the airport.

The airport is not really near anything, but by taxi you can get most places easily. I would suggest either South Beach, as the other poster mentioned, or Coconut Grove. It is a bit further south, but it is a great place to walk around and grab a bite to eat.

There is nothing in "downtown" to see and the Brickell area is mostly hotels, apartments and offices - not worth it at all.

many thanks for the information, much appreciated, would you happen to know how far these places are from miami airport in a taxi etc?

also you mentioned about clearing security any idea how long i should allow?

thanks again

deb

South Beach shouldn't take you 30 minutes to get to unless there is some real traffic. Coconut Grove will take you about 20-25 minutes.

Security at Miami International is inconsistent. Sometimes there is no line other times there are longer lines. If you are simply laying over and are checked in for your second flight, then being at the airport an hour before your flight should be well more than enough time.

HI Deb!

>"..am going on the seabourn legend 9th April - 23rd April"

That second weeks puts you on board with a few of us, so you need to keep our SkyBar seats while we have the lifeboat drill, ok? Then, as usual, drinks are on you. Guess it's time to start a Roll Call.

thank you again for the information regarding time, distances etc

Jane i will definately keep the seats warm at the sky bar (actually one of my favourite places to be!!!!!) i will also get the drinks in whilst you are all at the lifeboat drill so they are waiting for you!

thank you all again

deb

thank you again for the information regarding time, distances etc

Jane i will definately keep the seats warm at the sky bar (actually one of my favourite places to be!!!!!) i will also get the drinks in whilst you are all at the lifeboat drill so they are waiting for you!

thank you all again

deb

Terrific! Now I shall spend the rest of today dreaming about which drink I shall start with...champers (obvious choice), BBC (might be too filling with the canapes), Blue Hawaii (might rend me immobile after two)...ah, such delightful decisions.

Hi Jane

i'm glad that i am not the only one dreaming of what drink to have!!!! watching the world go by with a bellini in my hand what more could a girl want! i look forward to the orders in due course

deb

Hey Deb, it's Jane from Southern California, I will be on your April 9-23 Caribbean cruise along with my sis and brother in law. Looking forward to meeting you. My question to other CC'ers is: the day we disembark, our plane leaves from Ft. Lauderdale at 4pm. Any suggestions as to how to spend the time between being booted off the ship, and the flight, would be appreciated! That's a long time to sit around thinking my vacation is now over!

Jane :)

Hey Deb, it's Jane from Southern California, I will be on your April 9-23 Caribbean cruise along with my sis and brother in law. Looking forward to meeting you. My question to other CC'ers is: the day we disembark, our plane leaves from Ft. Lauderdale at 4pm. Any suggestions as to how to spend the time between being booted off the ship, and the flight, would be appreciated! That's a long time to sit around thinking my vacation is now over!

Hi SantaAna--We disembark from the Legend same as your group. Our flight out is also at about 4pm. We are considering getting a limo and going to Miami South Beach for lunch at "Joe's Stone Crab". It's a great restaurant, but with the limo cost it would be a very expensive lunch. We will probably go the FLL airport--check in-- to get rid of our bags--and find a good restaurant in Ft Lauderdale for lunch. Is your 4pm flight to Atlanta?

I agree it's best to check in and get the luggage tagged, because I have found that on a Sunday (particularly the weekend after Easter) that FLL can be one horrendous mess.

Our 'Divine Miss M' recommended this restaurant: "We always have dinner though at "The River House." We like to dine on the porch! The food is excellent!" I imagine they serve lunch as well.

Fortunately, our plane leaves at about noon, so we don't have to 'wait' too long.. However, I am thinking of chaining myself to the railing on Deck 5 to see if they can really force me to leave.

I agree it's best to check in and get the luggage tagged, because I have found that on a Sunday (particularly the weekend after Easter) that FLL can be one horrendous mess.

Our 'Divine Miss M' recommended this restaurant: "We always have dinner though at "The River House." We like to dine on the porch! The food is excellent!" I imagine they serve lunch as well.

Fortunately, our plane leaves at about noon, so we don't have to 'wait' too long.. However, I am thinking of chaining myself to the railing on Deck 5 to see if they can really force me to leave.

Hi Jane--thanks for the reminder on the restaurant--that probably where we will go--I checked Joe's Stone Crab--they don't open till 4pm on Sunday--so thats out. I noticed you are booking one of the West Coast cruises--was it Los Angeles to Costa Rica? We have the Caldera(Costa Rica) to L.A. booked after you get off. It was easy for us to get to San Jose to start--non-stop from Phoenix. See you in April at the bar!!!Don

Yes, Don, it's the west to East portion, to FLL. I thought that was the direction you two were going! I am now anxiously awaiting the cruise brochure, what with your raves. My TA is away on a cruise and I am off to Savannah to learn southern cooking from Paula Deen.

Bet wishes to you both!

(Fortunatlely, I have a 5 day Legend jaunt in March; just to help me with the angst of anticipation of our April cruise.)

The River House restaurant is a dee-lightful dining experience! An old home on the bank of the river.....in the Las Olas area. Would be a great spot for luncheon during April.......dine on the lawn!

Some of us are going to join a few from Blue Lagoon for a "reunion dinner" on March 15th before the Pride Cross.

Enjoy!

MB

does anyone have any ideas on what would be good to do when i get off the cruise, as i do not fly out until 8.20 pm from Miami, is it worth getting a car and driver for the day as i will have loads of luggage etc and assume that i will not be able to check in till 5ish, if so does anyone have any idea on cost etc?

Hi Jane (S. Calafornia) i look forward to meeting you on board, looks like there is quite a few of us going

deb

Hi Deb. It's drawing closer isn't it! :)

We had a choice of a 10:15am flight, FLL to LAX, or having to wait until 4pm (which we are doing), or leaving earlier, but ping-ponging around the country to get home; and the flight time, almost 8 hours, as opposed to 5 hours, non stop. I decided 10:15 wouldn't work, too early, and I didn't feel like going to California via Minneapolis (no offense to any MN residents!). Anyway, I'm going to check that day room suggestion. Other than that, checking in, renting a car and having a leisurely lunch sounds good to me, too. I'm with 3 other people on the Legend cruise, by the way.

Jane

does anyone have any ideas on what would be good to do when i get off the cruise, as i do not fly out until 8.20 pm from Miami, is it worth getting a car and driver for the day as i will have loads of luggage etc and assume that i will not be able to check in till 5ish, if so does anyone have any idea on cost etc?

Hi Jane (S. Calafornia) i look forward to meeting you on board, looks like there is quite a few of us going

deb

Deb,

I think a car would be a good idea and not terribly expensive if you drive yourself. I've rented from Hertz in Fort Lauderdale after a cruise and they reimbursed my taxi fare from the cruise terminal to their office. Most rental car companies in Florida (FL) do not charge a "drop-off" fee if you leave the car in a different FL city (i.e. Miami). You should be able to get a full-size car for less than $60. You could shop at Las Olas, Aventura, or Bal Harbour, or tour the Vizcaya mansion on Biscayne Bay ... even get an early supper at Joe's in South Beach as LaPaloma suggested since they open at four.

johnny

Once again, thanks to all for the suggestions. I called the the River House (Martita's favorite!) and found out they serve brunch on Sundays. I think we (4 of us) are going to have a car pick us up upon disembarkation, take us to church, and then head over to the River House for brunch about noon. After that, we'll most likely head to the airport, our plane leaves at 4pm. If anyone wishes to join us for brunch, let me know, I can make reservations. And, if you want to join us for church, that's cool too. I found out my church, Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa, CA, has a Calvary in Ft. Lauderdale. Yay!

a Calvary in Ft. Lauderdale. Yay!

That's my church as well! :) You'll love Pastor Bob! They also have brand new restaurant that is wonderful, just in case you are interested! The food and service is great, more high-end prices, but certainly worth it.

Well how about that! I was looking at Calvary Ft. Lauderdale's website, it is just incredible. I'm very impressed that you have your own beautiful restaurant.

I think Pastor Bob visited Costa Mesa for a pastor's conference a couple of years ago; he spoke at the Sunday morning service and I liked him!

Hope to meet you soon!

Best wishes,

Archived