What to do in Miami with 2 children

abbyndrewmom

Any suggestions for what to do with 2 children 8 & 6 in Miami? We are on the NCL Spirit and we will be in Miami from 9-6. I don't want to take a ship excursion, we will probably rent a car and do our own thing. I haven't been to Miami in 10 years so any suggestions would be appreciated. We will also be with my Mom, Dad & sister so 7 people total.

Thanks

You're going to need more than one vehicle because you will need a place to store your luggage before you head to the airport, and luggage for 7 probably won't even fit in two cars.

There's lots to do in the area, so don't confine yourself to just Miami as there are lots to do in places like Ft Lauderdale.

In Miami there's the Parrot Jungle Island, Miami Seaquarium, Duck Tours (land and sea vehicles) and the Miami Metrozoo and a lot of museums. Then you have the South Beach area with it's great old buildings and also shopping.

We are not disembarking in Miami just there for the day (Norwegian Spirit) so luggage won't be an issue. A minivan will be fine for the day for us. Our children are small but don't need car seats at age 6& 8 so there will be enough room for everyone.

Dh really wants to do an airboat tour through the Everglades so I think i will see what I can find for him there. Sounds like Mom and Dad just want to go to the beach so we may split up and try to meet back later.

Allison

• 3 weeks later...

The airboat is a blast! with kids you'll wanna use the large "tour bus" style venues. if you really wanna see what they can do find a lil 4 seater a little farther down the road, Wake up the pilot (who is usually sleeping on the bench out front), pay the man and get a ride that you'll always remember!

OH, take ear plugs for the yunguns,

or you can check out the miami herald for up to date recreation,

http://ae.miami.com/entertainment/ui/miami/miscLocationResults.html?category=1

They might be a little young for this, but the King Tut exhibit is now at the Museum of Art in Ft. Lauderdale. moafl.com. This is a once in a lifetime experience to see King Tut's mummy and all the artifacts that were found in his tomb.

We took our 4 young grandkids, ages 5,5,4 & 3 to the Seaquarium the day our ship docked--our flights home weren't until the next day. It's a little old-fashioned but the kids loved it; it's fairly low-key and not too big and exhausting. We took taxis from our hotel, but it's actually not that far from the cruise dock.

Otherwise, I'd suggest the zoo or beach. Since your kids are a little older they might enjoy the Everglades and museums too.

For $20 you can get a cab right at the pier to South Beach. You will love it. Rent your lounger and umbrella and have a blast. The beach is wonderful and you will be able to see the kids well if you are at your chair. Ask your driver for his card and call him to pick you up. Ask him how much notice he needs so you are not waiting on the sidewalk!

Wow, the suggestions just keep coming, thank you all so much for your tips and advise. I think we are set on th Everglades tour, we have spent a lot of time in Southern Flordia (Dh's Grandparents lived in Boyton Beach) and we have never done an Everglade tour. So I think we will rent a car do one of the bigger Everglade tours and then meet up with my family on the beach later in the day. We have from 8-6 in Miami if we go to South Beach what time should we leave to get back to the ship by 5:00 pm?

When on NCL Dawn last summer, we took our 2 kids (2yo and 7yo) on the Miami Everglades Airboat tour through the cruise line. I was not thrilled to do it until we actually got there. It was awesome!!! The kids thought it was just the best thing since sliced bread. I highly recommend it. It's not just an airboat ride. At the end, there's a whole demonstration and educational presentation on the history of aligators and crocs. And, what the differences are, etc. My 7yo DS was riveted by the whole thing.

Archived