Found item on Navigator of the Seas cabin 8218

LHC1962

Well, for some levity...I saw this thread earlier in the week, and as a result, made sure to double-check under the lining of the safe just prior to...ahem...being forced off of Anthem of the Seas this morning. ☹️  I found something...it was a toothpick...at least it was wrapped in cellophane, so I guess I can safely assume it was unused!  Thank goodness for that!       

4 minutes ago, MaryL31 said:

Well, for some levity...I saw this thread earlier in the week, and as a result, made sure to double-check under the lining of the safe just prior to...ahem...being forced off of Anthem of the Seas this morning. ☹️  I found something...it was a toothpick...at least it was wrapped in cellophane, so I guess I can safely assume it was unused!  Thank goodness for that!       

Glad you found it.   I think its mine.   :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

If the item had sentimental importance then the item would not have been left in the safe. 

Not sure that is true.  I travel on business almost every week, often across multiple time zones.  I can't tell you the number of times I have left stuff in a hotel room -- toiletries in the bathroom, stuff hanging on BA hooks, earrings in a safe, shoes under a sofa or bed . . . had colleague who left passport in the safe . . the list goes on and on.  You're tired, you're rushed, you don't double and triple check . . . stuff happens.  MOST of the time, I don't get it back (sometimes I have) and MOST the stuff wasn't of great value.  

One time I did leave something of great sentimental and financial value in a safe.  It was lying there openly -- I was going to pack it at the end and just forgot.  It was in a foreign country where English is not widely spoken.  The ONLY things that saved me were that:  (1) I realized I'd left it within an hour of departing the hotel; and (2) had a colleague who spoke the local language AND had a relative who could come in right away and pick up the item (since I was at the airport).  

The bottom line is that it is much easier to leave stuff than you might think -- even important stuff.  In some cases, you don't try to get it back b/c the hassle isn't worth the value of the item.  I would hope that, in OP's case, if the item was of sentimental or financial value, the party who left/lost it did contact the cruise line.  

Finally, I don't get the bashing of the OP.  First of all, legally, the OP could have walked off with the item and never looked back.  It was abandoned.  While it is the right/moral thing to do to make reasonable attempts to locate the owner, there is no obligation to do so especially in a case where the OP has ZERO idea who left it.  It might have been the person right before the OP but it might have been there for 5, 10, 20 or more prior cruises.  Different story if it was a credit card or something else that is readily identifiable.

Also, while it might be nice for the OP to have gone to Guest Services, why should the OP have to wait in line and possibly miss a flight, etc.?  I venture that most of us here would not have stood in that line, especially if they thought they'd found a piece of "junk."  

I probably would have left the item in a prominent place in the room with a note to the cabin steward indicating it was found.  But that doesn't mean there would have been any greater chance that the item would have found its way to the original owner.

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2018 at 2:49 PM, GarlicBread said:

Well just leave it on the floor next to them and walk off. 

Or leave it with one of the crew directing you off the ship cruise/youth/sports staff! They’re not hard to find and are there until all guests are off. 

I have been one of those people. I have had many things handed to me on people’s way off. I just drop it in a GS once my shift has ended, or I just leave it with security. Who ever was nearest. 

But I know many people assume all crew are thieves and will keep it as their own. 

At at least then you’ve tried. Rather than take it home and try and be a hero and never find the owner. 

I don't agree and feel the OP is doing more than Royal would have done to try to return the item.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ggo85 said:

Not sure that is true.  I travel on business almost every week, often across multiple time zones.  I can't tell you the number of times I have left stuff in a hotel room -- toiletries in the bathroom, stuff hanging on BA hooks, earrings in a safe, shoes under a sofa or bed . . . had colleague who left passport in the safe . . the list goes on and on.  You're tired, you're rushed, you don't double and triple check . . . stuff happens.  MOST of the time, I don't get it back (sometimes I have) and MOST the stuff wasn't of great value.  

One time I did leave something of great sentimental and financial value in a safe.  It was lying there openly -- I was going to pack it at the end and just forgot.  It was in a foreign country where English is not widely spoken.  The ONLY things that saved me were that:  (1) I realized I'd left it within an hour of departing the hotel; and (2) had a colleague who spoke the local language AND had a relative who could come in right away and pick up the item (since I was at the airport).  

The bottom line is that it is much easier to leave stuff than you might think -- even important stuff.  In some cases, you don't try to get it back b/c the hassle isn't worth the value of the item.  I would hope that, in OP's case, if the item was of sentimental or financial value, the party who left/lost it did contact the cruise line.  

Finally, I don't get the bashing of the OP.  First of all, legally, the OP could have walked off with the item and never looked back.  It was abandoned.  While it is the right/moral thing to do to make reasonable attempts to locate the owner, there is no obligation to do so especially in a case where the OP has ZERO idea who left it.  It might have been the person right before the OP but it might have been there for 5, 10, 20 or more prior cruises.  Different story if it was a credit card or something else that is readily identifiable.

Also, while it might be nice for the OP to have gone to Guest Services, why should the OP have to wait in line and possibly miss a flight, etc.?  I venture that most of us here would not have stood in that line, especially if they thought they'd found a piece of "junk."  

I probably would have left the item in a prominent place in the room with a note to the cabin steward indicating it was found.  But that doesn't mean there would have been any greater chance that the item would have found its way to the original owner.

It's also much easier than some people obviously think to double check the room before leaving so you don't leave anything behind..  My father taught us that.  I always walk through, open every drawer and closet, under the bed (if possible since a lot are platform now), look behind the bathroom door and check the SAFE before ever leaving a room.  We travel a bit and DH travels a lot for work and we have never left anything behind.  It's just too easy to double check and doesn't take any time at all.  There's some personal responsibility involved. 

I'm guessing that if the person who lost it hasn't contacted RCI, I highly doubt they will see this post or know where to go to look. 

5 minutes ago, Thechamp555 said:

ok , I'll try but I have no hope....lol

I was on the Navigator and I lost a really nice pair of blue running shoes - size 13.

FYI... I contacted client relations and they said they never found anything !

Maybe another guest brought them home and posted on the internet instead of turning them in. 

3 hours ago, BND said:

I'm guessing that if the person who lost it hasn't contacted RCI, I highly doubt they will see this post or know where to go to look. 

..or ‘know where to go to look’ ?   Surely if they have noticed it is missing and want to find it, they would contact RCI?  Of course they wouldn’t come to cruise critic as a first ‘port of call’ 😬

Or maybe they could just sit under a pyramid and think about the item and somehow it will find its own way back home. 

.....as I  said earlier,  the item has been found!  It can be claimed through contacting RCI,  But only if the owner is looking for it.    This is the case whether I took it off the ship or not! 

Edited by LHC1962

2 hours ago, Thechamp555 said:

ok , I'll try but I have no hope....lol

I was on the Navigator and I lost a really nice pair of blue running shoes - size 13.

FYI... I contacted client relations and they said they never found anything !

Try www.chargerback.com