High Balcony room vs. Single Oceanview

andros471975

I guess there are a lot of things to take into consideration - price comparison between the two cabins, where you're cruising to and the time of year, and - of course - how much time you think you would spend on the balcony.

However, I will say that I was on the QM2 a few weeks ago, and the KC single oceanview cabins with the double round windows are fabulous.   First time I've been on any cruise ship (liner in the case of QM2) without a balcony and didn't miss it at all.  

Edited by showingdiva

On 11/23/2018 at 9:46 AM, andros471975 said:

Hello all, 

Long time cruiser here who's been on the QM2 several times. I am booking travel for 2020 and was wondering which you think is better for a solo traveler - a deck 11 mid-ship balcony room or one of their Single Oceanview Rooms? 

Time of year is relevant. Would you be utilizing your balcony for extended periods or just looking outboard through the glass?

The Single Oceanview cabins are low down so less motion, and the two large round windows give an excellent closeup view of rough seas. While visiting a friend in a S-O cabin I saw why the layout is so popular that pax will pay a premium price for the privilege.
To compare: I loved keeping my Deck 12 balcony door open most nights in my crossings in Aug/Sept to smell the sea air and to listen to the waves breaking far below. I enjoyed the excellent view from my private vantage point, and enjoyed a bit of sun on favourable days. I don't mind a bit of pitching and rolling. And I found the location to be ideal: easy access to the open deck on 13, to the wheelhouse viewing on 12, to the open observation deck on 11 ... and everything else was "downhill" from 12 so I didn't have to wait for an elevator or break a sweat while walking to events on the lower decks.

I do not know any of the cabins mentioned, since I use to take in-hull cabins on decks 4 to 6; they have large balconies which make the cabins seem more spacious.

FOR ME, single cabins would be out of question, even if they look nice. I would feel locked away, could not smell the sea, not feel the wind nor enjoy the excitement of being at sea.

Nearly the same applies to cabins high up on the ship. FOR ME, it would be too far away from the sea; the balconies are smaller. 

Hope this helps, even if it was not really your question, but maybe you choose an in-hull cabin now.

Bon voyage!

The balcony cabin will cost you more than the single ocean view when you have paid the single supplement. I had an opportunity to visit a single on my last crossing and found them to be very nice indeed. So it's a tough choice. In nice weather months I would take the balcony. In the winter, the single.