Horrible experience at Hyatt Place 17th Street

Alaska59

I have used the Valuetrips site since 2014 after others on this site stated it was a great value. I became a member, never had a problem and love the location. Placed a reservation earlier this month for a April cruise.  Had not received a confirmation from Valuetrips.  One call to the Hyatt Place reservation center and I received my confirmation numbers and copies of my reservations. Also had them add my Hyatt membership number. All set and ready to cruise.

We checked in today and it was a great experience.  The staff was awesome and gave us our bottled water for being loyal Hyatt members.  He also gave us free drink coupons since we stay in Hyatt’s all the time.

Room was ready early and is very clean.  We booked directly thru Hyatt and had no issues.

We walked yo Publix and got 2 bottles of wine to bring on board tomorrow.  Can’t wait!

BTW:  we used a Lyft from MIA to get here and it was $40 with tip and a $5 coupon.

• 3 weeks later...

I will just add that when you book through a 3rd party and not the actual hotel, you can be bumped.  I know many people in hospitality,  if a hotel is oversold, those are the first guests to be bumped elsewhere.  I have also witnessed this first hand when staying at hotels and overhearing conversations.  Always book through the actual hotels website, it pays off in many ways. I’m sorry the OP had a bad experience. 

• Like 2

On 11/25/2018 at 12:22 PM, slidergirl said:

What happened with other chains has no bearing whatsoever with your Hyatt experience.  Did your "confirmation" come from Booking.com or Hyatt directly?  The confirmation number is NOT the number for the confirmation of the hotel - it is just your cheap OTA's "confirmation" that they have your request for a reservation in their extranet.   I have OTA guests show up all the time with only the OTA confirmation number, which is basically useless.  I have to login to that OTA's extranet as a hotel and try to search for that guest, sometimes to find that the reservation request was not uploaded to the hotel.  Upgrades have no bearing whatsoever, either.  You may have lucked out in Vancouver because the hotel had to move some guests around to accommodate  someone else and you were selected to get bumped up - due to length of stay.  I bump up people frequently in order to block another guest with a longer stay.  Also - if you book with booking.com, be aware they they "discount" your rate by sometimes agreeing with the hotel to deny you certain benefits that guests who book normally will receive.  An example: at my current hotel, everyone receives breakfast as part of their rate EXCEPT booking.com.  And, in the notes I see on a booking.com guest, booking.com sends us a note that "no meals included in this rate."  

You roll the dice when you book with an OTA, be it for a hotel room or an airline flight (I've got some doozies from athlete friends who had their travel booked via Travelocity/Orbitz).  You won some, but you lost this one,.

Best post, most useful post, in this thread.

I try in all cases to book directly with the hotel and have to look very carefully at the address during my search. If I have booked out side the Hotel directly, I call the Hotel itself to confirm they have received my reservation then get a confirmation from the hotel with their booking # for my reservation. I learned the hard way when I called the hotel to make a change in our arrival dates and found I had to call the online agency I booked with not realizing it wasn't the Hotel. That online agency couldn't even find me using the number given to me. 

A while back I booked the Hyatt Place 17th st location using booking dot com. and recd a confirmation from them.  A few months later, after seeing some comments on CC regarding problems using sites other than the Hotel websites, I called the Hyatt place to see if my reservation was in place.  The person I talked with said it was and sent me a Hyatt Place confirmation number.  Since it's nearing my cruise date I called a couple weeks ago and prepaid my stay.  I hope everything is in order and my reservation will be at the location I originally asked for.  We will soon see!