progresso warning

just returned from 5 day on the valor we had been to progresso before a few years ago had a good time walked to beach from bus drop off only about 2 blocks sat on beach at table ordered drinks and some food charged reasonable price . Not so much this time we were taken to a table old plastic table and chairs but ok we thought ordered bucket of beer when here before as long as you ordered drinks and food that is all you were charged for so I assumed it was the same now don't assume anything be sure to ask prices we were given a bill and way over charged for drinks like 5 dollars for each beer and 12 dollars each for 2 margaritas they did bring a menu and ordered some food had price on it for food the menu said buddys on it they also added a charge for table and chairs we said no not paying for that and said we would tell carnival what they were doing they then adjusted the bill also they wanted cash only no credit cards did not have this problem on last visit so just be aware ask up front so you know or do excursion or just stay on the boat like others say they do in this port . I had also heard the prices were cheaper here than Cozumel did not find that true at all we did a similar thing there and had a great day at carlos and charlies beach nice loungers right on beach close to water clean restrooms available and good service had food and beer for much more reasonable prices maby we just got the wrong people at progresso just be aware.

• Like 1

I remember before our first cruise back in 2012 I had read numerous posts about places (Buddys was named) that would overcharge you.   Most times when people get the bill when they are ready to leave they don't feel like arguing about it and just want to get back to the ship.     

So when we went,   they set us up at a table on the beach and brought menus.   they asked if we wanted margaritas and when we asked how much, they said (2) for $5.    we asked them to clarify if it was 2 for $5 total or if it was $5 each when you ordered 2 of them.    Their response was "we will run a tab for you".     We politely declined and said we'd pay as we go.   They were not happy with this and we had to tell them 3 times that we would pay as we go.   

The first round they brought 2 more out than we ordered and set them on the table.   we only had 4 of us and they brought 6.    We asked why and they stated that they were "just in case".     Now I know that they are trying to make a living in a rather poor economic area.  But I was really rather put off by the very obvious tactics they were using to overcharge us.   Had I not read on these forums about past cruiser's issues, I would have never realized that what they were doing with the tab and extra drinks.

I've learned countless things from reading these forums.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1