Review of Freedom Nov 18-25

Hello! I was hoping to get this start before today but I have been trying to get back in the swing of things since vacation and it has been hard! Still wishing it was 85 and sunny and someone else is making my meals. Anyway, just a brief background. This was my husband's and I 4th cruise together, probably our favorite, ship and port wise. We have been on a few before we were married not with each other.  This wasn't suppose to happen but we got a FCC from the Adventure last year and had to use it within the year and this week worked because of my work and we loved the itinerary.  Disclaimer: I am not a professional writer, these are my opinions and I will try my best to not be all over the place and remember things but I have a horrible short memory.  Also I wont be uploading pics because I do not have time for that and I do not have any cruise compasses. I am hoping to do a lot of this review in my training tomorrow.  I hope anyone going on this trip will find something helpful or will just enjoy it. I know after a good friend showed me these boards last year, I was hooked, did a a lot of research for the Adventure and found it really helpful but also I enjoy sharing my experience.  We all know cc fan's love to read!!  So back to the start. We drove to Charlotte to save a good chunk of money and not to have a lay over there anyway from RVA.  We left after work on Friday and stayed at Hampton Inn where they upgraded us to a suite. Which was nice even though it was late, we were exhausted and all I wanted to do was sleep. The bed was just amazing!!! We were up early because we are during the week anyway. Went down to have breakfast and their waffles were awesome. I sad to my hubby, we need to go to Hampton just for breakfast at home. JK of course.  So we hung in the room till it was time to lease, best part, the park and go right next to the hotel, they parked the car for us and shuttled us to the airport. The whole process took maybe 10 minutes. Awesome. So we checked in to the flight, went through security with a little hiccup with TSA and my toiletries, but we don't need to discuss because it worked out and waited for out plane. I am not the best person when it comes to flying but it is good that they make magic pills!  So our flight was on time with American and it was a full plane!  Boarded and left and landed in SJU! We headed down to baggage and we were starting to sweat it out a little as everyone was starting to leave and bags were getting low but then ours appeared.  We grabbed our bags, headed to grab a taxi where it was around $ 23 to the Hilton, Condado Plaza! From the outside looks a little rough but inside very nice and they are still working on it. They are decorated for Christmas. Last year, I loved being in the islands and on the ship all decorated.  Anyway, We checked in, no problems, explored a little bit.  I had looked up some places but we knew we were going to eat rich all week and had some big purchases in mind, we just stayed at the hotel and ate a Denny's.  Plus I was very tired and didn't want to venture out to much.  So we had a decent meal, diner food but I was fine. Headed to the room and not going to lie, I was ready for bed and bed it was.  Hey, it is vacation and well I can do what I want.  Right, it is my party and I can cry if I want!!! My hubby was watching some football.  Sports fanatic I married!! So Thanksgiving at sea and being a Cowboy fan, lets say, glad we got the game and paid for the internet! Sorry I get a little side tracked!! Try living with me!! Where was I? I am trying to get as much done as I can, I am afraid I won't be able to find this to continue. 

We woke up to beautiful weather, a great view! I was excited because boarding the ship was only a few hours away and I was hoping with being in SJU it was going to be quicker then last year. The hotel gave us $7 each to either Denny's or Starbucks. So back to Denny's we went. Normal breakfast we had!  I wish I saw the 2 for 1 on mimosa's but we were already done.  We strolled around the hotel, the view, pools and beach were beautiful. We could see the boat from the hotel.  We later found out between both piers, there were 7 boats in town.  Back to the room to relax before heading to the pier. We left our room at noon, headed down to wait for our Uber, got a Starbucks and headed to the Freedom!  We were excited. Traffic as usual as people are coming and going for multiple ships.  So we got there and saw the line for luggage was long and was like here we go, but I asked a lovely gentlemen and he was like go right over there by the I believe gold or yellow posts. No line, so we were like ok. Matter of 30 seconds we dropped our bags and on our merry way. Perfect. Headed to the line which was only about 10 minutes or less to inside, no line because last cruise after 1 night we hit platinum which is why we did not have to wait for our baggage, and on to the ship we went!!!! TBC....

We went right to the windjammer. My husband already bought the one beverage package for just soda and bottled water.  I don't drink soda and we talked about it and were like, are we really going to drink that much alcohol to get the package. We do drink but not on an everyday basis. So we enjoyed a light lunch while we waited for our room.  They were really pushing the specialty restaurants.  They were selling the package for $70 a person plus $18 gratuity.  Megan was the women talking with us.  With this being out 4th cruise, we were tried of the normal menu, she threw in a bottle of wine and free margarita's.  So we bought it. We already had a bonus specialty dinner so made it tolerable to go to the dining room.  I know around 1:30 the rooms would be ready and the crew really works hard to get them ready.  So we looked at our watches and a little after 1:30 they were ready but we enjoy people watching especially leaving out of SJU. Hopefully that is the only comment I will make about that. So down we went.  We were on the 8th floor balcony.  8330. Not to far off the elevators. Great place to be.  We got to the room, unpacked our carry-on's and I headed to the pool and my hubby relaxed.  I had to take the sun in small doses since it has been a few months here in VA but it felt good and it was QUIET and PEACEFUL!! Wish all days were like that.  I should have went down and got my hubby since football was on the big screen but I am sure he was enjoying the air and his nap in the bed.  I headed down the shower and get ready for our muster and dinner.  We were going to chops tonight.  We went to chops and had fantastic service.  I decided to have some wine and thought about it and said, ok let's get the package.  I never have one my own because I really can't drink that much and we stop so much but I did and it was fun.  I also knew we weren't planning on cruising anytime soon....have to head out but hopefully later tonight or tomorrow I can write some more. Not sure if anyone is following even though I know most people are at work. I am too....SHHHH

Edited by RoyalFan509

I'm so excited to read a rare Freedom review!  Sailing on her in May with my adult kids and can't wait!  We are also staying at the Condado Plaza.  Can you tell me a little more about the construction and the condition of your room? Was the room recently renovated?  Is the pool bar open?  How about other restaurants besides Denny's?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write!!

Thank you so much for following along EeyoreRN.  I was sad myself there wasn't a lot of reviews on the Freedom.  So many last year when we went on Adventure.  You will have a blast.  Crew is great!! Didn't do much entertainment because we did a lot of excursions.  St. Marten did our own with Capt. Bob and it was AMAZING!!!!!  Our room was fine at the hotel! Actually really beautiful. U would post a picture but I didn't take one before we slept in it.  We were not on the ocean side but could see if from our balcony. The amenities outside were amazing. I wish we had more time to stay and enjoy them but we went right to the ship which is also a good thing. I'm not sure what time the pool bar would open. We walked around early am after breakfast and headed to the ship for 12.  I don't think they had more options to eat. Like I said, I know there was a lot around, but we wanted something easy and quick because we knew we were going to eat rich all week!. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Sunday night we did not make the comedy show but enjoyed the football game pool side with lots of drinks.  Maybe to many drinks but tomorrow was cursing so who cares!!  It was neat watching the game outside, my favorite is people watching.  Headed to bed.  Tonight was a long night.  Our room was making a knocking noise. It was about every 30-45 seconds.  The beginning of the night was easy to fall asleep but once you got up to use the bathroom, it kept you up.  So It was a long night.  

MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEA DAY

Woke up and nothing better then being on the water thinking of my class at school!  Time for breakfast in the dining room. The only time we made it there. Service was a little slow and I forgot to take my medicine for sea sickness which today was a bad idea. The captain did a great job of keeping us informed at all times. He said it was going to be a smooth ride, well it was the roughest of all days, which wasn't really rough but enough for me to feel it.  I headed back to the room to relax. My hubby went down to guest services.  Maintenance was up in no time.  The supervisor came out and said it was probably because it was so quiet, that was not the issue at all, then a guy came out did some knocking and took it away for the remainder of the afternoon.  We did go to the shopping show.  We don't buy much.  I do like the DI bracelet with the free charms.  Who doesn't love FREE.  We get the coupons for the bamboo sheets because we already own 2 sets and they are worth it.  This shopping show, she gave away a lot of door prizes.  First time every, so if you like door prizes, have nothing else to do, GO!   We went to the pool for a bit in the solarium which was very nice.  Met a very nice young couple, had some yummy frozen drinks in the pool.  Headed to the room to get ready for dinner.  Tonight was formal night but we went to Giovanni's.  We loved it on all the other ships.  The pasta of the day was....trying to remember....crab ravioli.  It was good.  I had the eggplant, which I make on my own and worked in Italian restaurants for 13 years, this was AMAZING!  I'm not a foodie but I like my food and this was out of this world! My husband loves the veal.  Not trying to spell to OB.  The tiramisu is good, he enjoys that, I just got ice cream because the canolis are ALWAYS soggy. They fill them to early.  I said something the second time we went.  He said he knew. Out server was awesome.  I wish I got the chocolate both nights because it is good too!  I don't remember what the show was tonight but it is safe to say we didn't make it.  I'm not sure we did much of anything. 

TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! CURACAO

Up early because we had to meet at 8:45 with the ship.  Yes I know you can do these things on your own. I find it easier to just do it with the ship.  We were doing a highlight tour and beach break.  Went to windjammer where we ate the rest of the week.  It wasn't to busy that early in the am. Their potato hash brown's are so good.  Anyway, off the ship. I am a very on time person. You would think I was military at one point in my life but I wasn't. I have the mentality, If your early your on time, your on time your late, your late your fired!!  So we waited and got on the bus.  Of course the guides were great and told us all about the beautiful island.  I love to learn about the islands.  We were supposed to go to Bonaire but because of the construction on the pier we did not go.  That's ok, we will have to book another :)  We went to the Blue rum place. Learned the history and had some samples.  It was rum.  I bought an ornament.  I'm not sure why I haven't all the other islands before since I love decorating but again guess we will have to go back to those places!  So then we went to Mambo Beach. Nice resort area, shopping, etc.  Perfect for tourists.  The chairs were $3.50 per person and came with a very small bottle of water.  You could get drinks, food, shop, go in the water, whatever you needed, even starbucks.  Bathroom were there too!!  I loved the price of the chairs. I hate when they are like $10-15 a person.  It was very relaxing till a very loud group showed up.  Do not want to be mean but I am sure you can guess the group.  I know everyone is there to have a good time but please be respectful of people around you.  They did not buy chairs but used the free picnic tables as if no one else was there and were just rude. But did not let them get to us and we enjoyed the beautiful weather, water and just relaxed. Headed back to the ship. We had some lunch, showered, headed into town for the "7" minute walk into town. By the way it is not even close to 7 minutes.  Besides that. Got my charm and I bought a seahorse necklace with the Caribbean stone in it. I am not even going to try to spell it.  It is very pretty! I am spoiled well so is he!  We had to be back by 4:45 for our sunset cruise.  First time ever doing 2 in one day!  This was really fun!  Our guide was originally from Germany but knew so much about the island.  We went into the harbor of the really cool bridge on pontoons.  Learned even more, passed by where we were during the day.  The island is very colorful, clean and the people are very nice!  Unlimited drinks, food from the island and good company. We met another fun couple who we went to dinner with that night. It was our first night in the dining room.  I can't even remember what I had to be honest because we had great conversation.  But now you even order your dessert up front.  They were also passing shots around because we had the drink package but it was banana ones, they lost me when they said banana!  We parted ways and we went to bed! Up early for Aruba tomorrow!  Well hopefully I will get some more done this weekend.  I am thankful I am able to get this done while my young ones nap! Yay for FRIDAY!!!

WEDNESDAY.....ARUBA!!!!

I was very excited to go to Aruba. My husband was very fortunate as a child to go a lot and I just knew I always wanted to go. Again sad we could't visit the B in the ABC island's but hey, we just have to go on more cruises!! Anyway, up early again for an all day excursion we booked with the ship.  This was the latest I was ever in a port.  I see why, very safe! Breakfast in the dining room and we headed downstairs.  We head down to make sure we have enough time which the place we were to meet was right there.  I liked there was chairs to wait for those people who were late.  We walked right to the boat. No bus bringing us to the boat.  We got right on.  We went to 2 places to snorkel.  First one very close to the beach but could not reach. Crystal clear water and decent amount of fish.  Back on the boat to the ship wreck.  The water was very rough. I am a decent swimmer but with all the other people and current, it was a quick jump in, look and back on the boat for some punch!  I was good. It was quite Erie.  Neat but just not for me. Lot of fish.  the guides were great, knew a lot about the island and made sure you were happy.  Headed toward lunch and the view was AMAZING.  I could have every meal at this place because of the view.  It was delicious. The water was beautiful.  It was by other resorts so it was busy.  We had chairs and didn't have to pay which was nice.  They still served us drinks which was also cool.  They brought us back to the pier by bus.

We got back on the ship, showered, relaxed a little and headed back into town. My husband has been on the look for a diamond bracelet.  Well he got his wish. Don't worry, I am spoiled.  But it was his turn.  So we went to a few places but he visited his old jewelers that his parents use to buy stuff from.  We were there till closing.  Raj at Royal Jewels.  We don't buy much on vacation like this but it was worth it.  We walked around for a bit but headed back to the boat. Vacationing is rough.  We went to the windjammer, Caribbean night didn't have much to offer!  I don't remember what the show was tonight but we did not make it!  I am happy for sea day tomorrow!!!!! We went to the room to watch LBJ return back to Cleveland!  Early to bed!

THURSDAY.....SEA DAY.....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was happy to sleep in a little bit today.  I loved seeing the watermelons carved saying Happy Thanksgiving!!  It was hard to remember that home was an hour behind but made sure to call around the time my family was eating.  We had a really low key day!  Didn't go to the pool because the next 2 days were full days of sun.  It was pretty much a day of football for my husband.  Got ready for dinner and I went to the feature show, they were good but not my cup of tea! I really don't want to offend anyone so I will leave it at that!  Then met my hubby at Michael Kors where, of course I did not need another bag, but found one I like. I said I would sleep on it.  I did sleep on but bought it Friday!!  Anyway, we were invited to the Crown and Anchor party, it was nice.  We then went to dinner for our turkey!  Apple pie wasn't homemade but hey glad I had turkey!  I think it was another early night!  Like I said, I normally do a lot of entertainment but this trip was more about the excursions, relaxing and just going with it. Nice not do have a schedule!

FRIDAY....ANTIGUA!!!!!!

We were able to sleep a little bit later today. Didn't have to meet till 9:15.  Had breakfast in the windjammer again. My usually for the rest the week to keep it light was a bagel and some fruit.  We walked right to the boat.  The excursion was with the ship. My husband wanted to do this because it was an 80 foot yacht. Now yes 80 foot, but looked a little different then what we were on. Don't get me wrong. It was very nice but we thought it was going to be a little different.  It was a very busy boat.  The crew was AMAZING.  So that made up for everything. We were here last year.  We took off a little late because people were late!  They went over what they needed too and started telling us about the island. We stopped to pick up people at Sandal's. I already knew this but there is 365 beaches in Antigua.  I asked about this, in one stretch, there could be 3-6, separated by rocks, so not what I was thinking. I thought actually 365 you have to drive to or nice long stretches, but I could spend months visiting all of them! Ok so back to my review.  Lots of little island's they told us about.  Long Island was beautiful with celebrity houses.  Eric Clapton has a house there too!  We got to where we were going to snorkel.  I grew up in the water and very comfortable with swimming, the guides had 2 groups. People who had gone snorkeling before and one's who had not.  I had been so we left.  It was a decent distance from the boat and sure to the reef.  It was ok, so fish nothing crazy.  There was an octopus people were diving down to see, but I had trouble finding it.  He then said we were going to head back but went further into the water, well I was good so I headed back to the boat to start drinking. The island we were on was, Green Island.  No chairs, by the way but beautiful water!  We were there awhile and had amazing lunch that they made!  Time to head back.  Learned more about the island and had more to drink!  Back on the ship to shower and get ready for dinner!