Freedom of the Seas 12/2 Semi Live, Maybe, Sort of, Kind of Trip Report

43mpd902

On 12/4/2018 at 11:25 AM, Wilson said:

Search Cactus Juice 6 oz eco spray for sand fleas on eBay. We have used it with great success. 

Thanks for this product tip. I've ordered it from Amazon. 

4 hours ago, kayehall said:

Does anyone know if they are more prevalent certain times of year?  Or just there all the time?

A hotel rep stated they are in fact sand fleas and they usually are only a problem at dusk and dawn. They said the hotel offers complimentary OFF to help keep them from stinging. I'll try and keep my party off the sand and in the pool area just to be safe. 

Sea Day 2-

Time to relax. After a very busy and bone jarring day in Aruba it is time to rest and relax. While I totally recommend the Island Ultimate tour, this morning was rough, everything hurt. After a dose of Advil, I set to go.

So after sleeping in until almost 10 am, I got up and took my time getting ready for the day. DW and I sat on our balcony with my brother and his wife, we have rooms next to each other and had the balconys opened up to one another, and simply relax. We discussed a plan of attack for the day and decided lunch would be at Johnny Rockets.

So off we went to lunch. Upon arriving we learned what the restaurant offered. For those wondering, if you eat at Johnny Rockets the milk shake is included if you have the refreshment package. We also learned you only pay a cover charge and can have whatever you want and how ever much you want of items in the menu. They started us out with a large plate of fries and onion rings. I ordered the Smokehouse Burger and the Chicken Bacon Melt as well as the Cheesy Bacon Fries. Don't worry I shared. I found both of the sandwiches to be very tasty but the fries were a little bland. Which is hard when you add bacon to it. In the end cost the DW and I $28 with an extra tip but more the worth it. Initial cover charge with tip was around $11.74. 

20181206_120732.thumb.jpg.b775d96295ca896d76f6e973e07f18a7.jpg

20181206_120544.thumb.jpg.11f1e883c242c16a29e5b7cab136dd84.jpg

After lunch it was off to the belly flop competition. I decided it would be a bad idea to to flop on a very full stomach. There were only 6 contenders. Some were great, some were a flop. The competition only last 30 min or so so then it was off the change in the rooms. My DW, brother, and sister in law were heading to the deck to sunbath and I was heading to explore.

I decided to try my hand at rock climbing. So I suited up and gave it a shot. As someone who really hates heights, this was probably a bad idea. Off I went up the wall, I made it to the bell on the first attempt. Grant it, it was the lower bell but I got there and moved beyond. Got a ways up and then got stuck and down I came. Once back at the bottom, the worked advised when you go down don't pull on the rope first just fall back and that I was climbing the hardest wall. Oh yippie, first time ever and I get the hardest wall and break the cardinal rule and pull on the chord. Well I didn't completely fall, I didn't get hurt, and I am going to make it up the entire stupid wall yet.

20181206_151500.thumb.jpg.ff5b6b9896251b5cd983f0793204caef.jpgIMG-20181206-WA0006.thumb.jpg.b2f5f83576efb099d123c5c7008942d9.jpg

After that I figured a deserved a treat. So I got a Lava Flow at the recommendation of Wilson. Definately enjoyed that ad had a few more throughout the day. After watching some dodgeball and Flowrider surfers, it was time for supper.

20181206_154906.thumb.jpg.7a7fd5790bbf35cbd165f3fd2d7f31cc.jpg

We ate in the MDR again. The food as usual was good and the service was excellent. Dennis, Royston, and Placid really make eating here fun and enjoyable. I order the Asian Style Pork Taco, Garlic Tiger Shrip and Chicken Parmigiana. All of them we excellent.

20181206_181551.thumb.jpg.f0483d94041672fad324d286a2009f0e.jpg20181206_182537.thumb.jpg.a3aaf17c570ddbb9577b105d1d0ddd90.jpg20181206_184234.thumb.jpg.9a3116742cc5b84a4e1d67673bf33a4e.jpg20181206_184327.thumb.jpg.a8150e42fb040c661111850f1ca51841.jpg

After supper we enjoyed the last half of the Avengers Infinity War on the big screen before taking in the main show in the Arcadia Theater The Great Debois. It was interesting to learn their history and that they performed on the Greatest Showman. After the show, I retired to my stateroom and my DW and the others hit the hit tube. 

Next stop St. Kutts and Nevis.

Beverage count:

19- Pina Coladas 

3 - Lava Flows

1- Strawberry Daiquiri

1- Mango Daiquiri 

1- Milk Shake

Edited by 43mpd902
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wilson said:

Doing a great job on your live review and it's getting us really excited about our cruise. We fly to San Juan tomorrow. Glad you enjoyed the Lava Flow.

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise. Weather has been perfect.

Edited by 43mpd902
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, starrcards said:

I'll never understand why RCCL serves an Italian dish like chicken parm over MASHED POTATOES!  Why not pasta?  Would make much more sense.

Chicken Parm was actually served over ratatouille. But it did include the Mash. Was actually pretty good. 

Just now, Wrunkles said:

Can you just order a milkshake at JR without eating?  I've read some ships allow that.  

Sure.

However, if you want a "free" milkshake at JR using a beverage package, you may have to pay for food.

3 hours ago, Wilson said:

Doing a great job on your live review and it's getting us really excited about our cruise. We fly to San Juan tomorrow. Glad you enjoyed the Lava Flow.

Bon voyage!! I am so excited for you and can't wait to read about your experience!  Are you doing a live or retrospective review?

14 minutes ago, Wrunkles said:

Can you just order a milkshake at JR without eating?  I've read some ships allow that.  

I don't see why not. But we asked about the beverage package and were finally told.you had to eat there to get it. Otherwise it was $5.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:26 AM, 43mpd902 said:

I wish that were the case. There would be an easy solution but all the drink are non alcoholic.

Yes but lots of sugar lol.  Could have been in a sugar withdrawal!   Loving your review. Going on the freedom in May. Love southwest by the way, best airline in my opinion for customer service!   Thank you for posting and definitely enjoying it!

• Like 2

St. Kitts and Nevis-

Good morning from the island of St. Kitts. Once again we woke up to a beautiful day. Plan of attack for the day is a tour with Greg's Safari that will include the "Valley of the Giants Rainforest Hike and tour of Romney Manor and the Batik Factory."

20181207_063734.thumb.jpg.c393d9918b88d51f4e315f33ed225265.jpg20181207_085921.thumb.jpg.87782a7b1d7622e6ee95c428713cf3f1.jpg

Once we arrived in port, we were met outside the gates by our tour guide Racine. Before we met with Racine, my DW for alittle time to monkey around. Be aware if you take photos with the monkeys it will run you about $10. They are also particular about you taking photos of the monkeys with out paying.

20181207_090628.thumb.jpg.22a22b0a86bdf8fa4fa609c3d1d11780.jpg

Once Racine arrive, he was a little late, we were set to go. It was a small group, just the four of us, which was unique as the usually require 5 people for the tour. We agreed to pay for the 5th person so we could go on the tour and did not mind the small group. We found this to be well worth it.

20181207_100656.thumb.jpg.fdac4dacce119e36c1630c2d8e3bb43b.jpg

We traveled along the coast to Romney Manor. During the drive Racine gave us a brief history of the island and some of the culture. Glad I did not rent a car on this island. I am not sure which island was worse St. Kitts or Curacao for street markings. They also drive on the left side of the road. Once we arrived at Romney Manor,  we were provided with walking sticks, which definately came in handy later and of we went. Through out the course of the hike, Racine stopped to explain the plants, fruits, and general characteristics of the Rainforest. The trees in the rainforest were enormous.

IMG-20181207-WA0018.thumb.jpg.ab9b24e7f9c7657cefed4f80311a6d56.jpg20181207_104746.thumb.jpg.64801432ff6a7a6d504e7c574aa8e2b7.jpg20181207_103402.thumb.jpg.544fd6f1540209baa0cdae4e8442483c.jpgThe best part was no bugs to speak if or snakes. Not a single snake on the island. Although the monkeys are projected to out number the people 3 to 1. As we got toward the end of the hike we were given the option to forge ahead or turn aro into nd for some tasty treats. Well like any uninformed person of course forge ahead. Well it turned out to be more forge up not ahead. Oops. Was quite the little climb to the top, but we all made it in one piece.

20181207_112327.thumb.jpg.e71977231b579fd0601deac65748f881.jpgOnce the hike was done, it was back to our jeep where Racine made quite the snack of local foods and fresh fruit. There was Soursop Fruit, sugar cane, rock bread, grapefruit, some kind of fudge, guava cheese, and another sweet bar/ candy. Just don't remember what it was called.IMG-20181207-WA0007.thumb.jpg.4064fca24265901277b3ab442d0516c3.jpg

We then traveled up to the Batik Factory for a short demonstration and some shopping. Very cool process and products that they produce. Picked up some Hot plate holders while there, also spoke with one of the workers who discussed her first experience in the US with us. Let's just say she was left with a lasting impression as two squad cars full of Boston police stopped her on the street after she talked to a local.

IMG-20181207-WA0009.thumb.jpg.aad3b89717f2f72f6933f203e7c15413.jpg

Once done at the Batik Factory, we headed back to port. We picked up a few stragglers on the way. Two other couples from Minnesota and Wisconsin who were looking for Rum. We gave them a ride to the store and away we went back to the port. The ride back was pretty smooth until a bee decided to tangle with my arm. While he might have one the battle I won the war.

20181207_125433.thumb.jpg.9feb23e9422d6c01b5422edc799b43ff.jpg

Once back at the port, we spent sometime shopping through the local stores. Found some really nice hand painted Christmas ornaments. We did not buy one as our cat is a jerk and would most likely break it but my brother got one.

20181208_065714.jpg.4c78732bfcbcc6420cf16785ecb10684.jpgAfter wondering the market for bit, it was back to the ship to clean up for the second formal night. Upon arriving back at the room, I learned our cabin steward deserves everything he gets. I found my shorts and underwear folded nicely in bathroom. My group said he deserves more then too. Not sure what that means but oh well.

20181207_150850.thumb.jpg.af7da5f74429a0dd9c94bbe54fe485fb.jpg

20181207_172247.thumb.jpg.b6df6f125b50a1519950a70667df842b.jpg

Dinner as usual was fantastic. I can not say enough about these guys- Dennis, Royston and Placid. They have been great. If you have My Time Dining they to get into their section. We sat at table 319. Took photos with the wait staff while dressed all nice and pretty. As we looked at the photos, my group asked where Royston was. He was busy getting dessert and missed the group photo. Then finally someone asks, wheres Paul. Apparently I got cut out of one of the photos.🤔 Not sure what that means.20181207_193720.thumb.jpg.2a380933f2c84acd4297b3209d146d38.jpg20181207_194428.thumb.jpg.ed33a00e646e0d404635c35e3c0932f0.jpg

Tonight was also lobster night. So what do you order on lobster night. PASTA. I ordered the Cheese Tortilloni and the lobster. Both were excellent. Finally ordered a dessert as well Baked Alaska. Was very good.

20181207_181259.thumb.jpg.d2fd04b6c449cb4e739cb824d21b9751.jpg20181207_190431.thumb.jpg.2cdecc12706a65f58e12873070ec68cd.jpg20181207_190349.thumb.jpg.c46979fdd1bfdf131409c120c10e2128.jpg20181207_194334.thumb.jpg.4beedae22585f4ac266383992435b044.jpg

After supper we headed off for a mean game of mini golf, couples style. We lost. No more needs to be said. Then it was off to a comedy show and pizza on the balcony. We watched as we met two other ships on our journey. Then off to bed before our last day of the cruise😭😭😭.

Edited by 43mpd902

Still following!  Love all the great pics, as well as the indepth reviews everywhere.  We are very excited to sail on the Freedom on Dec. 30.  Would like to have sailed with you.  The jeep tour in Aruba looked awesome.  We will be doing the Trike Tour there. 

Been following your report since the beginning and still loving every minute!  I'm sad it's coming to an end.  Not as sad as you I'm sure!

I'm another fan of Southwest and I agree with skidawg about their amazing customer service.  My son goes to college in St Louis (we live in New York) and I found out about them from another parent his first year. They don't always have the best fares but are almost always at least competitive. Most important, you can't beat their flexibility and baggage allowance. If they offer a non stop flight to where I'm going, they're my #1 choice! Wish they offered non stop to San Juan from New York.  Their connecting flights tend to be more expensive as the structure is you pay for both legs. Considered driving down to BWI to catch a non stop from there but the fare wasn't competitive enough vs JetBlue to add the hassle and time of the drive.

I have been reading so many reports of wild, loud, unruly passengers taking over public spaces and being generally inconsiderate of others.  Have you experienced any of this on your sailing?

Thanks again for all your time!

16 minutes ago, EeyoreRN said:

Been following your report since the beginning and still loving every minute!  I'm sad it's coming to an end.  Not as sad as you I'm sure!

I'm another fan of Southwest and I agree with skidawg about their amazing customer service.  My son goes to college in St Louis (we live in New York) and I found out about them from another parent his first year. They don't always have the best fares but are almost always at least competitive. Most important, you can't beat their flexibility and baggage allowance. If they offer a non stop flight to where I'm going, they're my #1 choice! Wish they offered non stop to San Juan from New York.  Their connecting flights tend to be more expensive as the structure is you pay for both legs. Considered driving down to BWI to catch a non stop from there but the fare wasn't competitive enough vs JetBlue to add the hassle and time of the drive.

I have been reading so many reports of wild, loud, unruly passengers taking over public spaces and being generally inconsiderate of others.  Have you experienced any of this on your sailing?

Thanks again for all your time!

Off topic but I flew SWA last weekend NY-Orlando RT. They announced that they will fly to Hawaii starting in the spring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starrcards said:

Off topic but I flew SWA last weekend NY-Orlando RT. They announced that they will fly to Hawaii starting in the spring.

Yes I read that a few months ago.  They're going to do it from several cities in California including Oakland.  We have a few non stop flights a day to Oakland and they are not pricey so this could be a game changer for us! The cost of flights to Hawaii have been prohibitive for our family but now, dreams of Hawaii vacation may become reality!  So excited!

43 minutes ago, starrcards said:

43mpd902  I read that most nights in the MDR you ordered 2 entrees.  My understanding that multiple starters and desserts were OK but were only allowed 1 entrée.  Any problems/hassles getting 2 entrees?

In the MDR you can get as many entrees as you want. It is only in the specialty restaurants where they limit you to one entree.

5 hours ago, starrcards said:

43mpd902  I read that most nights in the MDR you ordered 2 entrees.  My understanding that multiple starters and desserts were OK but were only allowed 1 entrée.  Any problems/hassles getting 2 entrees?

No issues at all. The night of the Beef Tenderloin I actually got thirds on my entree.

Welcome back to San Juan. Hard to believe it’s already over. Thank you for taking us along this week. You did a great job on the review. Hopefully you guys don’t have any issues getting off the ship. Don’t know if you heard or not but it was a complete mess yesterday because the dock workers were striking. No baggage handlers and they had picket lines setup so that taxi drivers could not get to the ship. Many people missed flights. Please report back and let us know if the strike continues. Safe travels!

4 hours ago, Wilson said:

Welcome back to San Juan. Hard to believe it’s already over. Thank you for taking us along this week. You did a great job on the review. Hopefully you guys don’t have any issues getting off the ship. Don’t know if you heard or not but it was a complete mess yesterday because the dock workers were striking. No baggage handlers and they had picket lines setup so that taxi drivers could not get to the ship. Many people missed flights. Please report back and let us know if the strike continues. Safe travels!

No issues getting off the Freedom. We did self assist and were off and to the airport with a half an hour. Also first place with no issues getting a rental car. Enjoy your vacation.

Will also post about St. Thomas later. 

Edited by 43mpd902

On 12/1/2018 at 11:55 PM, Wilson said:

Have a great cruise! We board Freedom on the 9th so take great care of her.

I was on Freedom with my son a couple months ago after getting an incredible law enforcement discount that was combinable with my Crown & Anchor discount. We got a balcony on deck 8 for $313 per person! Looking forward to returning in a week and have surprised my wife by upgrading to a Suite. 

Were they offering a LEO discount for your sailing? Look forward to your live review. 

If you run across Dennis in the MDR tell him the big fat guy from Minnesota says hi.