New Arts Centre - Dubai

Jayayeff

For those of you visiting Dubai this season I thought I would post about a new arts centre that recently opened in Dubai.  The Jameel Arts Centre is located at the Jaddaf Waterfront, a redevelopment area along the Creek between the Garhood and Business Bay Crossing bridges, right beside the Palazzo Versace Hotel.  I checked it out this morning and considering it is so new I was very impressed by the exhibits which are set within 10 walk through galleries over three floors with additional ourdoor exhibits and small artists gardens (although smaller, it reminded me of the Guggenheim in Bilbao for anyone who has been there in that it is a waterfront location with both indoor and outdoor exhibits).   It is currently open six days a week from 10am to 8pm (closed on Sunday) and there was no charge to look around either the galleries or the outdoor sculpture garden.  The current exhibitions are made up of several induvidual artists rooms on the Ground Floor, the Second Floor exhibit is titled Crude with all exhibits and a couple of video presentations all relating to the history of oil within the Middle East countries, with several oil industry, petrochemical and plastics exhibits.  The third floor gallery contains a commissioned exhibit created by a Japanese artist that is titled Departure and features an old wooden Abra boat (used as water transport on the Creek) set within a huge spiders web made of red wool (it’s an amazing piece even if my description isn’t).   The Roof Terrace also features an exhibit titled Contrary Life that focuses on sculpture and light.   I can recommend a visit for anyone who has the time either during a port call or a pre or post cruise stay.   A few photos below:

17EF64A6-7C11-4F74-B319-8AD80D1BA503.jpeg

905CA6B3-3A0F-40AC-BBB1-F4A002D5CCAB.jpeg

C5E7AD15-128C-46E2-8216-2B2347B05578.jpeg

4397F3E9-419A-4717-87CF-FC7B9CE0D9A4.jpeg

87287584-355D-480F-8810-44423B12CDF4.jpeg

Picture one: represents the hoops one has to jump through as expat to get anything done by authorities.

Picture two: represents the relationship between the UAE and Qatar

Picture three: explains how most Emiratis treat labourers from Asia

4 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Picture one: represents the hoops one has to jump through as expat to get anything done by authorities.

Picture two: represents the relationship between the UAE and Qatar

Picture three: explains how most Emiratis treat labourers from Asia

Not one of the three of those entered my head, (and I’ve probably lived here a lot longer than you have!!!).  I was just delighted to find a true arts centre and not just a new gallery selling someones work!!!!  😀😀

Anne

😉🙂

Until the opening of the Royal Opera House in Muscat,  the Louvre in Abu Dhabi and the Spring of Culture in Bahrain,  we used to joke that if you wanted living culture in the region you needed to open a tub of yoghurt..

• Haha 1