US dollars in Costa Maya ?

OliverTheCat

Yes they do take US dollars and they generally give US dollar change as well. I would suggest that you take plenty of small bills just in case. Be sure to dicker for lower prices. For the best shopping prices take a taxi ($5.00 round trip per person) into the town of Mahahual .

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, be sure and dicker for a lower price on everything. I saw a beautiful big blanket in Mahahual that he was asking $85 for. I didn't laugh in his face, but got him down to $20 for it, and could have probably gotten it for even less if I had kept walking. Don't be afraid to walk away. Chances are, they will chase you down and accept your offer. Competiton is fierce and the US dollar is happily accepted everywhere!

Yes, be sure and dicker for a lower price on everything. I saw a beautiful big blanket in Mahahual that he was asking $85 for. I didn't laugh in his face, but got him down to $20 for it, and could have probably gotten it for even less if I had kept walking. Don't be afraid to walk away. Chances are, they will chase you down and accept your offer. Competiton is fierce and the US dollar is happily accepted everywhere!

Great info, THANKS!!!!! I will keep that in mind. I love to buy blankets, so that is a great tip.

I would suggest looking at prices at the pier as you walk to the area for the taxi/bus. I bought a bag in Majahaul that would have been cheaper at the pier. I had bargained, but it was my first purchase and I gave in too soon. Later, I got a bracelet that I love. He started at $55 and I paid 10 or 15.

Archived