St Kitts snorkel

silkismom

Our cruise stopped at St Kitts, we took a taxi ($10) to Frigate Bay, at the extreme left end (facing the water) are some rocks, snorkel out & around them and you can continue down the coast as long as you want. We saw trunk fish, puffers, peacock flounder, striped drum, trumpet, pipe fish, French Angels-including some tiny juveniles and even 2 flamingo tongues on a purple fan. We did 2 hour long snorkels and could have done more except we got too cold. Very impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, can you tell me what time of the year you went snorkelling in St. Kitts.

I read today that it is best not to go to the Caribbean in summer, so I assum they mean June/July/August? (don't forget our summer is December) so, as we are planning a cruise to Eastern-Western Caribbean next January or February, would this be a good time to go? (and to snorkel)

btw I notice you are doing Sapphire to Asia- we've just come back from the Diamond Singapore to Sydney - I think you will have a wonderful time -we did!

We were snorkeling this month, Jan 8, if I remember correctly. We were in your beautiful country in Sept, 4 nights in Sydney, 4 diving on the Nimrod Explorer out of Cairns, 4 nights in Cairns then finally 4 nights in Melbourne. We had a fantastic time & if the flight over wasn't so horrible, we'd go back in another year. In fact the reason that we're doing the Sapphire is that it goes from Alaska to Beijing, stopping in Japan and we only have a 1 way long flight.

I know how you feel- so far we only holiday 'close to home' because I cannot contemplate the long flights but I am coming around to the idea of the Caribbean. (most probably January or February next year)

Glad you had such a great time in Oz- it is a really great country that's for sure. I think you'll have to come back and take a look at Adelaide and Perth - both great places to visit:)

We were snorkelling out of Cairns a couple of years ago and loved it. Did you drive to Port Douglas?

Archived