Urgent Visa Advice for South Africa [NZ]

travel09

Before final payment I inquired via our Travel Agent, if a Visa was required for South Africa, the answer from Viking Ocean was NO, now just to be very sure ,I have asked again, and it seems that this is not the case for New Zealand citizens, a visa IS required, on advice from the South African Consulate . This requires much information and a trip to actually present ourselves to them in person,in Wellington, and considerable expense . In case anyone else is in a similar position, be aware you are paying a lot of money for your cruise to be denied entry to the place you probably most want to see.! We are Sydney to Greenwich March 2019. 

Before you go completely crazy try to obtain a visa, do any of these situations  apply to NZ citizens? I tried reading the NZ consulate section on visas and the one thing that I did not see was any language about tourist visas; they all seemed to be talking about work or study.

1. There are countries that require a visa but that allow tourist arriving by cruise ship to disembark as part of a tour sponsored by the ship or through a private tour company; you will be required to stay with your tour guide and will not be allowed to wander around on your own if you enter the country on this type of visa. Is there such a thing in South Africa? Would Viking know the answer to this question?

2. As a tourist staying less than 90 days, do you actually need to apply in advance for your visa? For instance, reading on the US State Department Travel website, it says for US citizens: Visas: U.S. citizen visitors to South Africa for stays of up to 90 days for tourism, short business meetings, or in transit do not require visas in advance. Visitor visas will be issued at the port of entry in South Africa. If you travel to South Africa for any other purpose (e.g. employment or study), you must obtain a visa in advance.

3. If 1 and 2 are negatives, are there visas services in NZ that you can pay to make the trip to the consulate for you? I know they exist in the US but that does not mean they exist elsewhere

It is certain that we require a proper face to face meeting,many forms etc,to get our Visa to enter South Africa, have just had that verified. It is of course our responsibility to obtain and make sure on this . I understand .I am posting to warn any potential New Zealand Passport holders, that this is the case. We were advised otherwise by Viking,via our Travel Agent, because of course each country is different. Our agent is now assisting in obtaining all the required documents. The Visa cannot be applied for until 90 days before departure.

1 hour ago, travel09 said:

It is certain that we require a proper face to face meeting,many forms etc,to get our Visa to enter South Africa, have just had that verified. It is of course our responsibility to obtain and make sure on this . I understand .I am posting to warn any potential New Zealand Passport holders, that this is the case. We were advised otherwise by Viking,via our Travel Agent, because of course each country is different. Our agent is now assisting in obtaining all the required documents. The Visa cannot be applied for until 90 days before departure.

Sorry that you have to go through such a hassle but thankfully you decided to double check.

Hopefully your compatriots will see your warning.