Taxi to forts

Astromaid

I am sure this has been discussed all the time, but I am struggling with the new format and when I do a search nothing comes up. We will be 4 adults and 2 children who would like to go to both forts. I know it is walkable, but I have bad hips and walking uphill is very painful for any length of time. I had though about the free trolley but they are slow, may be full, and inconsistent from what I understand. Can we catch a taxi to take us to the fort for a reasonable cost? Walking downhill won't be as much of an issue. 

We definitely saw taxis picking up and dropping off at the base of San Cristobal, but no idea of cost.  Note that the entrance we used to San Cristobal is a fairly steep hill (not bad once inside for the main levels, some other ramps are steep).    There may be a street level entrance but we did not see it.   The walk back to the ship from San Cristobal is all downhill.

From what I understand, El Morro has similar ramps inside, but the entry is at ground level - we did not walk it, but it looked fairly level and is a decent walk per the map - what I would do is taxi to Morro first, see how you handle it, taxi from there to Cristobal second, then walk back to the ship slowly time permitting.    (Side note, I don't think there is food in either site besides snacks, something also to consider on a long day)

If your issue is walking uphill for extended periods then I'd suggest you take a taxi to El Morro first and then walk back to San Cristobal. The walk from El Morro starts a but uphill but then most of the about 1mile walk is on a downhill incline. The walk form San Cristobal back to the ships will also be downhill. There are a bunch of ramps to access different levels of both forts but you can also find a few stairs to get from floor to floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took a taxi a few weeks back to Del Moro and back to a restaurant a couple of blocks from the ship. Was $10 to fort, and $8 back to restaurant. We were being lazy after a previous adventurous day. Trollies were running but longer waits than usual and we just missed the one from the Fort . Glad we took the taxi as it was a hot day.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, Stinger-pr said:

If your issue is walking uphill for extended periods then I'd suggest you take a taxi to El Morro first and then walk back to San Cristobal. The walk from El Morro starts a but uphill but then most of the about 1mile walk is on a downhill incline. The walk form San Cristobal back to the ships will also be downhill. There are a bunch of ramps to access different levels of both forts but you can also find a few stairs to get from floor to floor.

Would visiting forts be “scooter “friendly?   Daughter has MS and uses scooter

On 12/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, mmsoko said:

Would visiting forts be “scooter “friendly?   Daughter has MS and uses scooter

It has been a couple years since I have been in the forts, but as I recall El Morro had more steps - it would be accessible on the top level but I don't recall seeing a way to go down all the levels to the ocean other than steps. San Cristóbal had more ramps throughout the fort as part of the fort's historic construction.

There is accessibility info at https://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm. So I would aim for San Cristóbal as the primary fort to spend more time in and enjoy.