Mundane cash questions

arzz

We will be on the Quest sailing Santiago to Buenos Aires next month.  It has been years since we have sailed Seabourn. 

Does anyone one know if Seabourn cashes traveler's checks on board?  Though rare these days, we still like to carry traverler's checks as they are relatively safe cash and we do not like to waste port time searching for an ATM or alternately carry larger amounts of cash while traveling to and from the ship. 

Also, does Seabourn sell local currency on board (specifically Chilean and Argentinian currency)?

Thank you in advance.

Arzz, I just glanced at the "Money Matters" section of the booklet Seabourn provides to booked guests.  It says that traveler's checks can be cashed onboard,  and that you can convert US dollars to Euros or British Pounds (and the reverse).  So,  I think you will need to make alternative arrangements for Argentinian and Chilean currency.  Your hotel in Santiago should be able to help re the latter.

When in Buenos Aires before our Quest Antarctic cruise 4 years ago we got a 80% better rate on US$ Notes / Argi. at an unmarked local money changer shop (directed to by our hotel). We just made sure that we checked each note for a watermark before we left the shop. THey didn’t try and pass one dud note.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Seabourn only offers US dollars for the most part.  We bank with Chase and always order up a few hundred dollars of the local currencies for the countries we'll be spending time in, especially if we plan to take a cap from the airport to the ship.  On our Barcelona to Iceland cruise, we bought $250 worth of Euros and Pounds.  When flying to catch the ship in Montreal, we buy the same amount of Loonies.  I look in my safe at home and feel so Jason Bourne sometimes.

Thank you Raphael360 - we also purchase local currency and bring traveller's checks but in case we don’t figure our amounts correctly we appreciate the ships that do offer local currency.  

Our bank will not sell Argentinian Pesos so we suspect they will take dollars if we decide to spend.  We hate to waste port time looking to change money or find an ATM.