ADVICE - Diadema sailing xmas 2018 - samsara suite

CoupleUK

Not expecting too much as this board is very quiet, but hopefully get one or two ideas.

We sailed Costa once before many years ago so essentially this is a first-time sailing for us.

So, compared to other cruise lines, what should we expect from Costa and Diadema?

Best bars?

Any hideaways from the crowds?

Best places (free) to eat?

....that sort of thing

Weve sailed Celebrity and Royal so wont be comparing Costa with them. We wont even compare with P&O or NCL.

We have sailed a number of times with MSC (mostly in Yacht Club though).

Please help us to get the most out of this cruise.

PS do they dress the ship for Christmas?

As you are in a Suite you can eat in the club dining room, which is okay, however it has tables for two mainly so you do not meet other English speakers. normally two choices for mains with a nice selection of salads and starters in the buffet style servery, we use this last year but did meet up with another couple and went into the MDR on two occasion's (with help from Maître  d')

Best English bars are the wine bar aft if Rick is their and also for something different The Rock & roll Bar mid-ships on five not as bad as it sounds great atmosphere most nights.

Ship is decorated but not so you would see it, do try the Teriyaki restaurant although it is a pay one certainly worth the extra for a visit. (Watch them preform each night form 7.30)

Samsara restaurant is nice but over spill from Club are sent there over Christmas when ship is full. 

NOW I am panicking - not good with the cruise being just 1 week away.

Is there not full service dining in the Club restaurant? - a full menu offering?

If the choice (and I use the word very loosely) of main courses is limited to two dishes and I have to select food from a buffet I might as well go to the main buffet to eat.

We know we're not going to get a Celebrity-style cruise, but we've done enough with MSC now to appreciate that things will be different on Costa - Im not sure "self-catering" is what I had in mind though.

No it is a full service resruarant nicely laid out, and helpful staff, however the choices are limited, although  four or five courses, which includes a sort of salad bar with often small extras almost like appetizers, and two mixed  salads all served by the staff you just collect a plate select what you like & they serve it, this is only the start of the meal the rest is like every other dining room. You will find they are very accommodating if there is something you particularly like, my wife likes grated carrot and radish the Maître 'd had a plate ready for her each night, and often changed or left something off my plate if I did not like it.

The Samsara was for Samsara guests only at one time but now it is a pay restaurant but still very nice, used as an overflow last Christmas from the Club restaurant. this is the only one offering a more extensive menu. The MDR the Club and buffet now serve the same menu most night wit just a few extras in the Club.

Dont let this put you off we still enjoyed the whole three weeks with food good even for a fussy eater like me I managed to find some each night bar one, then the Maître 'd made me a great fish dish which was not on menu.

Have a great cruise and most of all enjoy.

Thank You for the time you take to reply Tenpin - it is a very quiet board so your help is invaluable.

I have read a few of your posts and you are 90% supportive of Costa but do get fed-up with constant changes (don't we all) lol

Have you sailed with MSC yet?

Worth taking a look - especially when you use their Status Match scheme as most will go in on the highest Black Card level - its worth it for the free 1 night in one of the speciality restaurants, the free bubbles, fresh fruit, choc coated strawbs and a nice solid chocolate ship each to take home as gifts lol.

You do get 5% off sailings, with the voyagers section offering from 5% to 15% more off certain sailings (so that is 5%+15% off whatever the current advertised price is for some sailings)

IF you can do Yacht Club (even in an inside) then definitely worth it.

Edited by CoupleUK

Hi,

Yes we have cruised with MSC & enjoyed them, also with Princess/ Holland America/ Thomson and a few others.

Costa was our first cruise way back when, it was outstanding, todays offerings not a patch on those days but somehow we do like what they offer (mostly.)

Certainly the perks with all lines do have some bearing on who we cruise with, but until recently Costa offered us most. Dis-like the new club rules several cruises we have looked at for next year all suite have gone to the stupid free upgrades, now you can book so far in advance with only a £50 booking fee & cancel within 30 days of sailing, makes mockery of the treatment of it's most loyal customers.

So other cruise lines will get our money next year.

Do have a wonderful cruise and seasons greetings to you & your family.

Edited by tenpin