Anyone else?

Sean3667

Is it me, or does anyone else find the CCL mascot, "Funship Freddie," to look ... well, a bit creepy? Having seen Freddie all over the place this past week onboard the Triumph, it strikes me that he looks more like a character out of a bad horror movie ... or an alien creature from a Star Wars flick ... rather than an inviting ambassador of goodwill.

At some of the gatherings he attended, I was half expecting him to pull out a giant "ship on a stick" and start beating guests with it!

My youngest son has AS (a form of autism) and one of the traits that he battles is a fear of mascots. We thought there for awhile we would have to stop cruising with Carnival, because youngest son would not leave the cabin. Fortunately, we have worked out a system where we go to Camp Carnival at the beginning of the cruise and get Freddie schedule. Of course, there is always the possibility of unscheduled appearences, but at least we know a majority of the spots to avoid.

Oddly enough, the plush Freddie doll is his favorite sleep buddy. Our son takes him everywhere. As strange as that sounds, that is all part of the disorder.

Last July in Alaska, we had mascot overload at every port (bears, eagles, moose). Fortunately, we had just been introduced to past President Carter's Secret Service at our hotel in Anchorage. He was there to get some award. (They were eating up all our goodies in the hospitality suite.)

Our son got a big kick spending a couple of days with them before we went on the cruise and we implemented a "secret service" code for mascots at the ports. Mom and big brother (6' 3") did intercept and Dad hung back with younger AS son to scurry him past any problems.

The whole cruise went great until the very last night of the cruise, when AS son ran face to face with Freddie coming out of the disco. (an unscheduled visit obviously) In March we will be on the Pride, so we will see if we can improve our record of avoiding the problem.

I actually think there are two different versions of Funship Freddie. There is the happy, friendly looking one and then there is the evil, scary looking one. We had the scary one on the Miracle and noticed the difference between the Freddie we saw on a previous cruise. I think it was the shape of his eyebrows.

My Freddie is happy and dancing and I think a little intoxicated.

Diane

Is it me, or does anyone else find the CCL mascot, "Funship Freddie," to look ... well, a bit creepy?

Nope. Thought that he was cute. The kids liked him too - For the upcoming cruise I have two Fun Ship Freddie plushs ordered and to be delivered to the room to surprise the girls!!

Personally, I always thought they could come up with something better than a "Funnel" as a mascot! ;)

Rumor has it that next year there will be a new mascot.

F deck Francis.

She will come complete with a towel and sun screen but NO TOP.

I went into webshots and did a search on "funship freddie" and this is one of the ones that popped up...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/391836954/391836954uJxdSG

A closer shot...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/221536439/221536439bvLACV

And dressed in a tux for formal night...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/182472087/182472087tuaVch

There are a lot of them.

You know what's funny? Before this thread I never realized that I have NEVER seen Funship Freddie. :eek:

And I don't think I've been missing out, lol. :cool:

Glad I'm not the only one - I've NEVER seen FSF on any of my Carnival cruises!!

And he does look a little creepy in those webshots photos :eek:

Glad I'm not the only one - I've NEVER seen FSF on any of my Carnival cruises!!

And he does look a little creepy in those webshots photos :eek:

I didn't put the one in where his leg was hooked up on the thigh of this woman in a bikini...that was extra creepy, but if it was my pic I don't think I'd want it linked up on CC! Gross!!

F deck Francis.

Too funny! I can just see the kids from Camp Carnival following HER around! Does she come complete with a tub of Crisco to fry her "girls"??? ;)

I went into webshots and did a search on "funship freddie" and this is one of the ones that popped up...

Not very cute is he? Sort of looks like a weird face with two weird things growing out of his head. You would really think they could come up with something a little more endearing than "funnel head."

Lets just say that when I look at the distinctive red, white and blue funnel the first thing that pops into my mind is not a snuggly toy or friendly mascot! Somebody said it very well once, that the funnel is strange, mysterious and somewhat frightening...It belches smoke and soot arbitrarily...Why does smoke come out of one side but not the other at times...No, not the highest up on the mascot potential scale to me!!

F deck Francis.

OMG!!! LMAO!!!!!! :D

That is brilliant~ But what will they have for the kids mascot?????

I didn't put the one in where his leg was hooked up on the thigh of this woman in a bikini...that was extra creepy, but if it was my pic I don't think I'd want it linked up on CC! Gross!!

Now Im dying to see him!!!!

Anyone have a picture of him handy????

:confused:

I found it kind of endearing, and have a plush in my office at work...not to mention the pic of me and "Freddy" at the top of my post...just my opinion, I kinda like Fun Ship Freddy...althought it usually seems to be a "girl" in the Freddy Costume.

I'm sure he does appeal to people...He has been the mascot for a little while now. My dark humor just can't let me appreciate him for the simple mascot he is! :o

Regardless of my opinion on Mr. Funnel, I can tell you that my 3.5 year old daughter will run away in terror when she sees him in March. She hates all forms of mascots. So I guess that she would probably agree that he's a pretty creepy dude.

I found Freddie to be cute ... even got my mom the plush version of him from the gift shop ...

Candy

My mom did too, within an hour or two of being on the Fantasy, Funship Freddie grabbed my mom and danced with her. She immediately told me I have to take one of those home and we went right then and got her one. She was sooooo happy to find one in the gift shop. :p

Archived