Disappointing first try at playing the "price drop" game.

babs275

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by novellaherman:

I have a question about a shipboard credit. We booked the elation and got a 2 catagory upgrade at booking. Now the price for the 4C is lower than we paid. We have paid in full and booked through a PVP with carnival. I called and inquired about a credit of some kind and was told. Too bad.........Other online agencies are even lower priced that Carnival now on this cruise. Is there anything I can do? Or is it really too bad........so sad icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

novella

Carnival Elation 2000

RRCL Vision of the Sea 2002

Carnival Triumph 2003<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same question....I booked an 8A and was upgraded to 8C (free??) I have paid for our sailing in full. At the time that I booked with Carnival, my PVP said that if the price dropped before we sailed that I would receive a credit. When I checked BPC a week ago, their price for a 8C was almost the same that I paid for my 8A!!

I really don't care about getting an upgrade (although there are good cabins still available) cuz I like the ones that we've picked...but I wouldn't turn down an onboard credit!! I told my PVP that too, and he said he'd get back to me. That was 5 days ago. Naturally, I checked the prices again the other day and they are back up.

Carnival's PVP gave me the best price available at the time that I booked, and I was happy with it....still am. The point is this: he voluntarily told me that I would get a drop if one became available. For that reason, I'll continue to check prices once a week...any credits that I can add to my account will be used on the cruise anyway. If it were just my DH and I, I might overlook it all...but I have my whole family with me this trip, and I can use every credit!!

Caribbean Kim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;12;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown to Caribbean breezes!!!

CCL Glory 6-04

CCL Fascination 9-03

CCL Victory 7-02

NCL Sunward 72

NCL Skyward 70

The closer it gets to the cruise date the more the price seems to drop. I've seen Carnival Cruises leaving in 2 weeks selling for under $300 now, cause the liner would rather have people in the cabins spending money on drinks and stuff than sail empty. The question is, at what point do they NOT have to honor the price drops anymore? People who buy early get the advantage of cheaper flights - often not availabe at the last minute. What if everyone sailing on the ship requests the rock botton prices given a week before sailing? That doesn't seem right either.

Why should I pay more just because I booked early and picked the cabin that I wanted? If I check the prices weekly and see a drop, I think that I'm entitled to the same price as everyone else.

It takes some time and patience to do this, but worth it when you are talking about several cabins. I don't think most cruisers will do this. Once their booked with their TA that's the end of the story. I did this several times myself. But today, with a family every dollar counts!

Have a great day! icon_cool.gif

Take care,

http://community.webshots.com/user/afdds

5/23 Victory cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Carnival Legend, Panama, 2003

Norwegian Star, Hawaii,2001

Aida, Sicily 1999

Fasination San Juan-1995

novellaherman,

I don't know how far out your cruise is, so this may not be possible. We had the same thing happen to us. I called Carnival and told them about the price drop. She wanted to know the website to verify it. She came back to the phone and said they couldn't match that price. Told me they dealt with the website company all the time and to go for it. She also told me that it wouldn't be hard to switch companies. Called the website company and they called Carnival and switched the booking without me having to do anything. They credited the card for the difference. Kept the same cabin and got money on my card. This was months ago.

The price on our inside cabin dropped again the other day. Called the website company and they said no problem, would issue another $90.00 credit to card. Haven't seen the credit yet it's too soon, but I'm sure there won't be a problem. Hope this helps. Take care.

Take care,

5/23 Victory cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Aida, Sicily 1999

Fasination San Juan-1995

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by afdds:

Why should I pay more just because I booked early and picked the cabin that I wanted? If I check the prices weekly and see a drop, I think that I'm entitled to the same price as everyone else.

Have a great day! icon_cool.gif

Take care,

5/23 Victory cruise

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Aida, Sicily 1999

Fasination San Juan-1995

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you...especially when you're traveling with the whole family, in multiple cabins...this could mean a huge savings.

P.S. I'm originally from Vero, so I guess you could say we were neighbors!! You'll love the Victory. I was on her 2 years ago, going on the Glory this year.

Caribbean Kim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;12;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown to Caribbean breezes!!!

CCL Glory 6-04

CCL Fascination 9-03

CCL Victory 7-02

NCL Sunward 72

NCL Skyward 70

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by afdds:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the point of the offer of the "guarantee" cabins is cheaper price, but they place you in whatever is available for the category or higher that you paid for. You pick your own cabin and that negates the whole idea of 'guaranteed cabins'.

Lido Deck Linda

dudes.gif

062802jumpie_prv.gif033102food_1_prv.gif062802drink_prv.gif082502cheers_prv.gif

Fantasy 2/6/2000

Victory 3/23/2003

Destiny 4/25/2004

Well, my TA told me up front they only match if Carnival's price drops, so that's the one I'm checking. I got a refund on our last one after final payment and it was mailed early enough to get check back in time to pay for car rental and hotel !! And we got a two floor upgrade with our "guaranteed" cabin.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=012000&cdt=2004;07;03;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Who say's heaven isn't right here on earth??

Conquest 07/04

Fantasy 07/02

Destiny 05/01

When we booked as a group we all had the same booking number. Do you have different booking numbers for each cabin reserved?

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

Short one on the Celebration

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;31;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

JULY 31, 2004

icon_cool.gifhello we booked by costco and always have and paid my final payment and after we paid it there was a price drop and we got 450 back it was great and they deposited it to our card with in 2 weeks so it can happen and we just ask to be cross refer with the other cruisers we are going with.

Just had my own experience at the price drop game...called Travelocity when I saw that the prices had dropped today. Even Carnival.com was showing the same prices as Travelocity. I called to inquire the price difference to upgrade from an ocean view cabin to balcony. Both websites were showing an increase of only $70/pp over what I had paid...well, Travelocity agent had to call Carnival and then came back to say that Carnival wanted $380/pp to upgrade to balcony on same deck that we are already on! Riviera deck! Lowest deck on ship. Mmmmm. Of course, I declined. I will try back in a few more weeks since sailing is on 5/23/04 on the Destiny. Also, didn't seem to help that I am a past Carnival cruiser with an official past guest number. Any ideas?

I just checked the Carnival website and their deckplan for Destiny does not show any balcony cabins on the Riviera deck...I questioned this while on the phone with Travelocity agent 'cause it didn't sound right...why would I be told that they could move me from an OV cabin to Balcony cabin on Riviera deck when it doesn't look like there are any? That higher priced quote is goofy too. Mmmmm...

We got a very nice final upgrade on the Elation From our Carnival PVP less than two weeks before sailing, after noting price drops on Expedia / Travelocity that were not showing up on Carnival's site. We started with paying a great 4A rate for a 4C, ultimately securing upgrades to 6C. Since we had paid rock-bottom from the start, I didn't even worry about a shipboard credit vs. upgrade. Our PVP was very helpful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by novellaherman:

I have a question about a shipboard credit. We booked the elation and got a 2 catagory upgrade at booking. Now the price for the 4C is lower than we paid. We have paid in full and booked through a PVP with carnival. I called and inquired about a credit of some kind and was told. Too bad.........Other online agencies are even lower priced that Carnival now on this cruise. Is there anything I can do? Or is it really too bad........so sad icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

novella

Carnival Elation 2000

RRCL Vision of the Sea 2002

Carnival Triumph 2003<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived